AC HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC HELP

Ok guys I need some help. The AC on my 02 Highlander crapped out.
My kid is driving the Highlander now and yesterday he tried putting on the Air for the first time....and all he got was hot air coming through the vents.

I've had that truck for 5 years and never been an issue. Si why all of a sudden nothing but hot air and I mean hot.

I did have to put in a new transmission this past winter, did the dealer forget to connect something??? could it be just a fuse??? or just need new refrigerant???

Any recommendations as far as shops go that I can take it too...I don't want to send a whole lot of money on this as it got over 225KM after all the kid could simply roll down the window...worked for me growing up.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

look for a leak in the system (loosing freon or watever they fill it up with these days). it might just need a recharge.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

That's what Im hoping for....a cheap quick fix.....finger crossed!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
That's what Im hoping for....a cheap quick fix.....finger crossed!!!
Aris, most likely you're a bit low due to a slow leak in the system. Canadian Tire and Part Source stores now carry the complete line of a product called Redtek 12a that is compatible with both R12 and R134a refrigerants.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark, is this a DIY job?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Thumbs up

Hi Mark, is this a DIY job?
Yep, since they don't sell R134a in Canada this is the alternative. It is compatible so you can try adding it your self to the low side of the AC system... don't worry they only make the connector on the kit so it only fits the low side of the system so you can't connect it to the high side.

I travel with a R134 refill hose with a gage in the bimmer all the time... guess why. The hose should be the same type that comes with the Redtec 12a kits. If you can wait until Friday evening and providing I can make it out to the east end meeting I could check the pressure for you if you bring the truck... takes 30 seconds to do.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark, I not sure I can bring the truck, my son will probably be using it ...(Teenagers!!!)
It's not a huge matter just yet, as it's not very hot ....

Maybe one day you can pop by my place or I can pop your place or I can get the truck up to a GTG.
Im right on Brock Road just south of Tauton....about 15 minutes from Markahm.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Aris, most likely you're a bit low due to a slow leak in the system. Canadian Tire and Part Source stores now carry the complete line of a product called Redtek 12a that is compatible with both R12 and R134a refrigerants.
I wouldn't use that garbage even if my life depended on it. You need to find out what is wrong (leak or faulty sensor) then decided what to do. If it's a minor leak, you shouldn't use anythign but R134a. The bad part is that it's only available in the states. The good new is that it's cheap ($7/can...you need aroudn 3 cans to fill an empty system). I susually go once a year to Buffalo and buy a case (12 cans) for less than $100. If you deiced to use the 12a that CT and PS sells, then down the road you take the car is for an AC repair. The shop hooks up their machine to your car and you end up contaminating their entire reserve becuse what you have in your system. They will make you pay for it all.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
If you deiced to use the 12a that CT and PS sells, then down the road you take the car is for an AC repair. The shop hooks up their machine to your car and you end up contaminating their entire reserve becuse what you have in your system. They will make you pay for it all.
If there is a major leak and he has to bring it to a shop the majority of the stuff would have leaked out by then.

I agree R134a would be the best choice but others are using Redtec 12a with great results.

Can you spare a couple o cans of R134a ?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Why can't we get the R134a here in Canada?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

environmental nonsense most likely
Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

That makes about as much sense as a fart....The US has 300M people/cars and we are worried about 30M people/cars...our government SUCKS LARGE.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

It is listed as a controlled substance, as the jury is still out at least in Canada as it is believed to still damage the ozone layer. The certified AC repair techs can buy it, no one else can unless you're in the US where they sell it in the parts stores to anyone. Canada Customs can actually confiscate it at the border and charge you for smuggling a controlled substance... although I have never heard of that happening. I guess to the Ministry, the Redtec 12a or Duracool products are environmentally friendly in comparison to R134a or someone got paid off along the line.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

To buy any refrigerant in Ontario you need an ozone depletion card (ODP).
As for your a/c not working if you are lucky your mechanic may have disconnected the low pressure switch while replacing your transmission.
Probably the condensor has a hole in it. It sits behind the grill before the radiator.
Without the proper gauges DIY a/c repairs isn't a good idea.

Quick Reply: AC HELP