Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Budweiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Racing Tally

"Mar 24, 2008 03:12 PM
Justin Piercy
Staff Reporter

More than 120 people were charged over the long Easter weekend under the province's new street-racing law, the OPP said today.

"Unfortunately, people don't think about road safety on long weekends," OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley said this afternoon.

"In fact, we see more dangerous behaviour."

Woolley noted that some drivers who were pulled over were clocked at speeds two or three times above the posted speed limit.

The number of drivers charged is almost double the number charged on a normal weekend, Woolley said.

About 3,500 have been charged with what is officially called "stunt driving" since the law came into effect last Sept. 30.

Drivers who are charged have their vehicles seized and their licences suspended for seven days. They also face fines up to $2,000."
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Budweiser
"Mar 24, 2008 03:12 PM
Justin Piercy
Staff Reporter

More than 120 people were charged over the long Easter weekend under the province's new street-racing law, the OPP said today.

"Unfortunately, people don't think about road safety on long weekends," OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley said this afternoon.

"In fact, we see more dangerous behaviour."

Woolley noted that some drivers who were pulled over were clocked at speeds two or three times above the posted speed limit.

The number of drivers charged is almost double the number charged on a normal weekend, Woolley said.

About 3,500 have been charged with what is officially called "stunt driving" since the law came into effect last Sept. 30.

Drivers who are charged have their vehicles seized and their licences suspended for seven days. They also face fines up to $2,000."
Just read that on The Star on-line......3,500 people charge.....what a money grab that is. A**holes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

We were visiting family in London yesterday, and I was expecting the usual radar on the overpass with a squadron of cruisers on the on-ramp. I was planning on going through it at 90 with my middle finger raised, out the window. For once in my life, I was actually disappointed that the speed trap wasn't set up!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
We were visiting family in London yesterday, and I was expecting the usual radar on the overpass with a squadron of cruisers on the on-ramp. I was planning on going through it at 90 with my middle finger raised, out the window. For once in my life, I was actually disappointed that the speed trap wasn't set up!
What's with that Chris?

Or do you mean kph?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I meant km/h - way under, basically saying "I knew you'd be there, so screw you!" If I went through at 90mph giving them the finger, I'm pretty sure I'd be pulled over and have the book thrown at me!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:53 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

If I went through at 90mph giving them the finger, I'm pretty sure I'd be pulled over and have the book thrown at me!
I thought hand signalling between motorists was still an accepted practice according to the HTA?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with my middle finger raised, out the window.
what would the charge be for that? Can you tell an officer FU?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
webbie
Pro

freaking awesome, 300km/h on 400?

7millions bucks. Are they going to lower our taxes?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by webbie
freaking awesome, 300km/h on 400?:
I would hope the 2x or 3x the posted speed limit were in those sneeky 50 or 60 zones. Although with some drivers anything is possible.

BG
Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

this is amazing... Strickt Laws... no one gives a ****... amazing...

PS: i dont support these money grabbing laws...
Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

If someone is doing 50km/h over or 2x-3x the limit.....phoque 'em. Money-grabbing or not, unless you're being driven to the hospital with a severed hand there isn't much call to be going that fast on the street. Save it for the track.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Any of you guys read that red light running causes more injuries than street racing and the best way to reduce injuries is by extending the yellow a second or two and not by installing red light cameras?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Last time I checked, cops were trained to track speeders and give tickets to offenders (among other things). I was unaware that they were also trained to be on-site judges and juries. That's the real problem with this law. If the radar or laser gun was broken, if they got the wrong driver, etc, it doesn't matter. They have the power to ruin a person's life on the spot. First you lose you car for a week, then they leave you on the side of the road, you have a minimum $2,000 fine to pay, you also have to pay for the impund and towing ($600.00), then, if you don't fight it, I am sure this puts you into facility with your insurance comapny, so count on another $15K or $20K over the next three years. There is way too much at stake for the officer to convict without due process in my opinion.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Last time I checked, cops were trained to track speeders and give tickets to offenders (among other things). I was unaware that they were also trained to be on-site judges and juries. That's the real problem with this law. If the radar or laser gun was broken, if they got the wrong driver, etc, it doesn't matter. They have the power to ruin a person's life on the spot. First you lose you car for a week, then they leave you on the side of the road, you have a minimum $2,000 fine to pay, you also have to pay for the impund and towing ($600.00), then, if you don't fight it, I am sure this puts you into facility with your insurance comapny, so count on another $15K or $20K over the next three years. There is way too much at stake for the officer to convict without due process in my opinion.
What gets chosen? The red Porsche doing 120 or the black minivan doing 151?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justinsrx7

even if the guy fights and wins in court, he still has to pay the stupid fine and impound/storage fees. i'm not sure if the suspension of lisence stays on record if you win or not, but either way it's total *****. You shouldn't have to pay a red-****ing-cent or have your car towed until you're found guilty in a court.

cause i'm sure the government will really refund you if you're found not guilty

Quick Reply: Street Racing Tally