Notices

OT: Car stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

a sign of the economy ... when people start stealing copper .. remember the guy who tried to steal the big ground wire from the hydro station ? Dumb F**K .. he is now dead..
Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Remember the bronze statue of a Ukrainian poet that was stolen last year from a park in Oakville? The statue was missing for about 2 weeks before they noticed it, then a few weeks later, they caught two guys trying to sell the head to a scrap metal yard! LMAO!
Reminded me of the episode of Simpson where Bart saws off Jabadaya (sp?) Springfield’s statue!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhaha
Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I keep checking this thread half expecting Christian to come on saying they found the burnt out shell... I guess he is still polishing his " son in law of the year award " for getting the in laws car stolen ... :-)
Old 02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Actually, the car was in Stef's care when it was stolen! She felt pretty bad, despite reassurances! Ironically enough, a stripped out car was found behind the school she teaches at (and where our car was stolen from) only a week or so before.

OnStar gave up tracking it (they'll only track it for 48 hours, plus an extra 48 hours by request only) which means that the Onstar unit has been disabled or pulled from the car. I'm quite confident the car is now enjoying a much nicer climate in the middle east.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ more likely a much worst climate in russia
Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

or an even worse one in Brantford.. Sorry to hear that Christian ..and way to blame the wife too .. ( just kidding )
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok - I have an incredibly silly question - but if I don't ask - I'm always gonna wonder. Is there ANY chance it was towed - not stolen?

I don't know where you parked - but with all this snow - people are parking in weird places.

The reason I ask is that my Porsche was stolen once - or so I thought. Turns out I'd parked on a street-based handicap spot (didn't even know they existed!) that was poorly signed. I came back to where the car had been to that sick, empty "my car's been stolen" feeling.

Some guy across the street said, "You looking for your Porsche? They just towed it".

I looked up to see the wheelchair icon and while I was pissed at my own stupidity - I was gleeful with relief and jogged from Univerisyt and Dundas all the way to the pound at the lakeshore.

I have NEVER been so happy to see my car!

Could this have happened to you for any reason??

RK
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That was my first thought, too. It was towed from the school where my wife teaches - the first thing she did was ask the principal, vice-principal and office staff if they'd towed anyone and they said no. There's really no other way something could be towed from that lot, unless I suppose it was a repossession, but that's certainly not the case here. In any event, a towing company would've notified either the dealership (it was a leased car), plate registrant, driver, etc. by now.

edit: they also wouldn't have messed with the Onstar, so Onstar would've been able to locate it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Towing companies are required to report their tows like yours to the police. The police would have a record of it before the report was filed and they would tell the owner where the truck was. Also the On Start would show where the truck is too.

Most stolen domestic SUVs tend to stay on this continent and are usually stripped and sold for parts. Stolen import vehicles are usually shipped all over the globe. So the chances are really good that the truck is still “here” but I don’t think it will ever turn up in one piece. There probably already was an order for a truck like this and they stole it to fill the quota. Sad but vehicle theft is a huge business.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 400 Posts

A friend had her Acura SUV towed by thieves (stolen using flatbed) from Chesswood hockey rink. car had the alarm going while on the flatbed! never recovered

Quick Reply: OT: Car stolen!