Notices

HDTV

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HDTV

Looking to move into the 21st. century with a 42" HDTV. Neophyte.

Someone please walk me through the minefield.

Was told by fellow RLer to consider Pioneer Elite.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Pfaff Tuning GM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm partial to the SONY Bravia LCD HDTV, as i have 4 of them.

there pricing is competitive.

Stay away from the B and C brands that sell for really cheap prices.... i always see people returning them at my local best buy as they just dont cut it.

go to www.sonystyle.ca and look at the bravia line up.

regards

Brad
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I've got a Sharp Aquos now and previously had the Pioneer Elite (both in 50"+ sizes). Both are nice units.

Depending on the unit you select, there's quite a range in the specs of each unit.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
The Full Monte
Cruisin'

Default Decide what you are going to use it for...

You should first decide if you are going to use it mainly for movies, TV in a brighly lit common room, gaming?

This should determine if you are looking for a plasma or LCD. There are some pretty good sites which discuss the pros and cons for both. Try www.avsforum.com and www.digitalhome.ca. People who have bought a certain type or brand will always recommend them if they are happy but they may have bought for different reasons.

You should check out the info on these sites and then decide for yourself. I personally have 2LCD and two plasmas all from different manufactures and sizes. Each one has a specific role and price range:

42 Sony XBR Plasma - Dedicated Home theatre
32 Sharp Aquos LCD - Gaming and general family room AV
20 Sharp LCD - Bedroom wall
42 Generic TIger Direct el-cheapo plasma the name of which escapes me - cottage general purpose don't care if it gets stolen TV.

Good hunting.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:52 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Suitman,

I posted a similar thread right here https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/400112-i-m-going-nuts-1080p-or-720p.html

One thing for sure is go with a brand name unit.

The second big deal as posted in my thread is 720p or 1080p. This number refers to how many horizontal lines are on the screen. The more, the crisper/well defined the picture will be. Right now 1080p is the maximum in high definition.

As for LCD or Plasma, before there used to be a very noticeable difference. Now, not so much.

In all truth I think you will probably be happy with whatever TV you get. They are all pretty damn good. Wait until the SuperBowl, that's when the most tv's are sold and hence good deals.

In the meantime if I stumble upon a good deal I'll post it up here

EDIT:
Here are some great deals from Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...00&catid=24558

Actually, just go peruse Best Buy's TV section and look at the various deals. Quite a lot of selection!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This depends on what kind of signal you will have going in to house, what are your plans are you going with digital cable or sat or analog? I would suggest looking at a plasma if you are going with a good signal, I have a couple I have a pioneer elite, and a LG, both are 1080p plasmas and by far way superior to the LCD I have in my bedroom , its OK but not near the same quality as the plasma.Depends on how and what the purpose is to the unit. The Pioneer is better but not really worth the extra money.
Good luck