Notices

Mods & Insurance - Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods & Insurance - Advice needed

When I got insurance on my TTS, I was asked whether I had any after market mods and I said no. Now I am getting Kevin's UMW Flash, Europipe Stage II and Forge Diverter Valves put on, and felt I should let me insurance company know. What shohrould I expect, a raise in rates? Has anyone else gone through this in Ontario before?

Thanks for any advice...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

I would not tell my insurance company a thing if they asked me this. FWIW.........they do not ask that out here. If it gets that far........just say you did it after the fact and were under no obligation to advise them.

The bastards will f_ _ _ you over and screw you "anyways" if something happens.......it is their modus operandi. Fight insurance companies BS at every turn......insurance companies are our mortal enemy........not our friend. They are thieving ****** who are exploiting the laws in place, for their own financial benefit.

If we did not have insurance companies.........2/3 of the legal profession that are pond scum would evaporate overnight..........and everything would cost less.

Last edited by YYC930; 11-21-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Pfaff Tuning GM
Instructor

I would not tell them, if for any reason you have to replace due to an accident, the OEM parts price might be the same as or higher tha the mods, and then you could have the repair facility repl with new mod parts.

When is your Pipe due in? Are you still interested in having us install for you? and what software are you going to be using?

Brad
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by YYC930
I would not tell my insurance company a thing if they asked me this. FWIW.........they do not ask that out here. If it gets that far........just say you did it after the fact and were under no obligation to advise them.

The bastards will f_ _ _ you over and screw you "anyways" if something happens.......it is their modus operandi. Fight insurance companies BS at every turn......insurance companies are our mortal enemy........not our friend. They are thieving ****** who are exploiting the laws in place for their own financial benefit.

If we did not have insurance companies.........2/3 of the legal profession that are pond scum would evaporate overnight..........and everything would cost less.
This is what I am afraid of - If it tell them, they could raise my rates or deny coverage. However, if something did happen, and they found the car to be modified, I'd be screwed as well....
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Pfaff Tuning GM
Instructor

so far we have never experienced anything bad, yet. but most of the bodyshops like ours have good relationships with the adjusters and appraisers. Most would not know what a DV looked liked compared to oem and the software they cant see as they dont have scan tools to go looking. Exhausts after they have been on a car a while will not look shiny new anymore.... so it is difficult for the insurance companies to find out. when they ask the question, ask them what they mean by modified? then you will have a better understanding of what they are looking for.

Brad
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

well look at it this way .. if you tell them you have a moded car you are likely to be dropped anyway as it is viewed as a "street racing " car .. yeah right ... and you will have no coverage. I agree with YYC 100% . When you were asked the car was not moded, you have been 100% truthfull , and there is no requirement you contact the insurance company if you mod your car.

Good luck ..
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I would only tell them if you have modified the car for only a few reasons.
You dropped a bigger engine in it.
You put an expensive nav/audio system in it.
You put expensive wheels on it.

Anything else is trivial with the exception of a super charger.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advise them only if appraised at a higher than book value. Other than that, fagetaboutit.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pfaff Tuning GM
I would not tell them, if for any reason you have to replace due to an accident, the OEM parts price might be the same as or higher tha the mods, and then you could have the repair facility repl with new mod parts.

When is your Pipe due in? Are you still interested in having us install for you? and what software are you going to be using?

Brad
Brad, the exhaust is due in first week in Dec. I dropped by and spoke with Nelson regarding the install. I'll get the exhaust and DV installed there. As for the flash, I ordered it from Kevin at UMW based on several recommendations on this forum.

Jag
Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jagsiva
Brad, the exhaust is due in first week in Dec. I dropped by and spoke with Nelson regarding the install. I'll get the exhaust and DV installed there. As for the flash, I ordered it from Kevin at UMW based on several recommendations on this forum.

Jag
Thanks all! I guess its unanimous
Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Pfaff Tuning GM
Instructor

is it a GIAC flash or a different program?

curious to see what else is out there
Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

so far we have never experienced anything bad, yet. but most of the bodyshops like ours have good relationships with the adjusters and appraisers. Most would not know what a DV looked liked compared to oem and the software they cant see as they dont have scan tools to go looking. Exhausts after they have been on a car a while will not look shiny new anymore.... so it is difficult for the insurance companies to find out. when they ask the question, ask them what they mean by modified? then you will have a better understanding of what they are looking for.

Brad
Have you seen the adjusters pulling data out of the ECM? Most cars now days have an event log that records about 5-10sec of data. This data usually records vehicle speed, break application, throttle operations and such. So in case of a collision this data will be sorted and it can be pulled using the proper interface.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Have you seen the adjusters pulling data out of the ECM? Most cars now days have an event log that records about 5-10sec of data. This data usually records vehicle speed, break application, throttle operations and such. So in case of a collision this data will be sorted and it can be pulled using the proper interface.
Hmm, so it like a planes black box. What ever happened to privacy.
I can only see this helping out the insurance companies. Gives them plenty of loopholes to use when they deny a claim.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

is it a GIAC flash or a different program?

curious to see what else is out there
Its his own program. He's a regular poster here, if you do a search on UMW you should pick up a few. His flash also comes with a handheld loader so you can do it 15-20 secs on the fly.

You may want to have a chat with him -- it would be great to have a local dealer for this stuff - he's got turbos, intercoolers, airboxes various stages of kits etc. He also tunes his stuff to Europipe and I believe just released his own version of a race exhaust. Check the 996 turbo forum.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsiva
This is what I am afraid of - If it tell them, they could raise my rates or deny coverage. However, if something did happen, and they found the car to be modified, I'd be screwed as well....
Change insurance companies. I've never been asked and have modded all my cars, past and present.

Quick Reply: Mods & Insurance - Advice needed