Oil for Older 911s

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil for Older 911s

I am sure that all of you owners of older cars, have run across the Oil Threads on both Rennlist & Pelican. A big shift in oil formulations is occuring, which eliminates ZDDP (zinc & other stuff) from engine oils. While this is good for the environment, it is bad for our flat tappet engines.

Pelican PBH is organising a group buy of #7119 Penn Grade 1 Racing 20W-50 from a distributor in Pickering. This is one of the 'blessed' oils & is the same formula as the older Kendal oils. See the thread GTA - Group Oil Buy

Ian
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for heads up, Ian.
Maybe sometime in the near future we should arrange a similar thing for Swepco. I stil have a couple of containers from a bulk purchase I made a while ago, but it will run out soon.
I suspect that teh Swepco guy will provide decent pricing if we can but a couple of cases.
Bob
Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, Bob. I think you & I were talking oil at the GTG. I just changed mine Sunday for winter & I had just run some Techron thru the gas to do it's cleaning wonders so the oil had to go. But, I couldn't get it up to temp on Sunday. I drove it 15 miles at high revs to get it up but the thermo still didn't open. So, I changed it but there is still older oil with Techron waste in the cooler & lines.

I am going to dump it in the spring & run with the Brad Penn now that there is a source.

Ian

Quick Reply: Oil for Older 911s