P-car newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Christanza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-car newbie

Hi all,

I posted this in the 964 section, but thought I'd post in here as well since it's Canadian-specific.

I've been a diehard VW enthusiast / driver for the last 6 years but have been lusting over Porsches (namely, 964's) since I was a kid. The desire to own one has now become impossible to resist and I've begun my search for a 964 to call my own.

I've found one that I'm interested in and plan to check it out in person over the next couple of weeks, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the things I should be looking out for and need some advise and guidance.

For the last few weeks I've been familiarizing myself with the search function on this forum and have come across some useful posts about valve adjustments, leaks, and the like, however I have yet to come across a post that basically summarizes all that I should be aware of before purchasing a 964. Or maybe I'm just hopeless when it comes to searching...

What are some of the 964-specific things I should be asking the seller? What should I be looking out for when I look at the car in person?

The car in question is a 1991 Carrera 2 with 72,000km located in Vancouver (I'm in Calgary). It's Gun Metal Grey with black leather interior, all power options, updated head lights (not sure what that means - I'm assuming an HID kit of some sort), 17" RUF rims with new tires, it's claimed to be clean inside and out, and in excellent condition. The seller is asking $29,500 CDN O.B.O. - Is this a reasonable asking price?

I've attached some pics below (maybe someone knows this car?):

And here is what I drive now - 2003 20th Anniversary GTI

Anyway, thanks for reading this long-ish post, and I appreciate any and all insight!

Cheers,

- C.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum Christanza, the price sounds great but with the canadian / Us dollar being what it is... IMO prices are all over the place.

You should ask around for someone to do a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by someone in Vancouver who know the 964. They will be able to tell you what you need to know.

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/
Old 10-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

i know your a 964 fan, but for about 5g's more you can pick up a 1999 996 C2 Coupe/Cab... Much more fun
Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Christanza
Advanced

I know that there are some 993's and 996's within my price range, but I prefer the looks of 964's.

Ideally I'd be shopping for a 993 C4S or Turbo, but they are out of my range at the moment. I think a nice 964 and a few mods will be a great introduction into the Porsche world for me
Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

mmm i dont think you can get a 993 for 30k here... why dont you try the US? i can get a lot more for 30k in the US... the markets huge there...

try Ebay to get the most out of your 30K... there is no diffrence between Canadian and US cars... just that US cars are a lot cheaper
Old 10-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

**** bro i was just cheaking Ebay you can get 964, 993 and even upto 2002 996 for under 30K...
Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
**** bro i was just cheaking Ebay you can get 964, 993 and even upto 2002 996 for under 30K...
+100.
Also check out www.autotrader.com
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a decent price. I just brought my 91 964 5spd tripple black cab up from the US 42k miles now, 38,500 when I bought it this spring, with 4 year bumper to bumper warranty at any Porsche mechanic I choose in Canada. Original everything, paint, interior, top etc. Very very nice shape. It cost me $39k to bring it to my door. I will be putting it up for sale in the srping time. I will be asking $36k to start. Its making sure you find the right car. You can pay a good amount fixing theses bad boys. Look for the best one that fits your budget and make sure it has a good PPI. Be weary of the sub $30k $$$$ cars, they may need more than you think and it adds up quickly.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the used car market in Canada will collapse in 6 months - with lots of cars coming off lease with out of whack residuals based on strong CDN dollar new car prices dropping dramatically. Whether this applies to 964's is unclear to me - but the strong dollar does make US cars MUCH more attractive.

That force alone should push the price of that car down. I think $30K is just too much. Do some US based research and present those cars to this seller. I think you can get closer (but certainly not to) $20K.

No matter what - let us know what happens - it'll be a useful datapoint for those of us also searching for 964's and 993's.
RK
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

That is probably a Japanese market car, a lot of 964's from over there are showing up now.........if I were you I'd pass on it if that is the case. This car has been for sale for a while on Auto Trader.

964's have very expensive problems to repair if they are not fixed.......asking prices can vary as much as $15K between examples......and the repairs can easily exceed that. Ask me how I know.

Do not buy a cheap car !!!!!!!.........buy a good car........when the purchase price is paid, you can potentially spend more on repairs than it will cost you to buy a nice one needing little or nothing........when it is all said and done.

Take a deep breath and educate yourself over the winter.......there are great 964's out there........but there are 3 times as many bad ones out there nowadays, simply because they are cheap today, and purchased by people who cannot fix them properly when something serious, or even simple, goes wrong.

GET A PPI with a leak down !!!! Spend $400 at MCL Porsche........ask for John Brogue to do it.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Christanza
Advanced

Thanks for the input, guys!

I've actually been thinking along the same lines - ie: wait till Spring and see what happens to prices as well as to take the time finding the right car. While I'd like to get the best price possible, I'm not adverse to paying a premium for a premium car.

I might still check out that car next weekend when I'm in Van for ****s and giggles, though. I'll take some good pics and post them here when I get back.

In the meantime, if you get any clean 964's in at Rennsport, Keith, shoot me a PM!! (black on black preferred)

Cheers!

- C.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Be warned that prices in the spring normally go up for sports cars.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great idea to go see as many cars as possible. For one - you never know what you'll find - maybe the seller is in a tight spot and a great deal is to be had. But it also lets you get a feel for how much money gets what.

I think there are two ways to go - get a totally sorted car for a premioum price and spend time driving it - or get a project and know that all the work you'll do will be done to YOUR satisfaction. However - that usualy means less driving time early on and possibly more $$$.

C4's can be especially expensive and there are lots of known 964 problems. Most should have been fixed by now - but I have heard of current cars WITHOUT the breather tube update - which is troubling on two levels, one it's a timebomb and two, clearly no owner cared enough to find out about that nearly universal, decade-old fix.

Learn more - see more - drive more - know more - SAVE more. : )

RK
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Christanza:

Two other places that you may want to consider for PPI's in Vancouver - Weissach and Scan. Go onto the Porsche Club West Regions website and you'll find some discussions about them (www.pca-cwr.org).
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

This post has kind of gone sideways , but for all the right resons. Firstly go to the 911 forum and print out the PPI sticky at the top , just about everything will apply to your 964. But I second everything posted above , with the US dollar so weak , this is the time to be buying in the US, you can get some great cars at great prices.

Quick Reply: P-car newbie