Notices

Clocked at 147 Km/h in a 100 Km/h zone...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM
kjurkic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies for going OT

ZOOKIE:
A-,A,A+ $500
B-,B,B+ $400
C-,C,C+ $250
etc :^)
- I only teach at Community College level, so if your in ENG201 or higher, yer on yer own!
K

Last edited by kjurkic; 09-23-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: TOPIC DRIFT
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Good job getting off with a warning considering you were driving a P-car, which makes it much more of a hill to climb.

I got nailed in my WRX a couple of years ago, but it was one of those month-end deals where two patrol cars were set up with radar on a country road where the speed limit goes to 40 due to some estate homes. They were harvesting $$ and there was no getting out of it.

I was very polite and honest, which is all I ever try, and the officer was nice enough (only wrote me for 53 in a 40 when it was closer to 70). The funny part was the officer was saying: “Nice car, these are really hot, eh?” (The WRX was still new to Canada at this time). And he went on to add “Must go really good?” To which I replied something like “Yes, and that is the problem…”

I used to work with a woman who always liked to brag about how she would put on a show with all sorts of tears when she got pulled over and would invariably get off with a gentle warning. And she would speed incessantly up and down the 404. However, she was attractive and apparently a good actress.

It is all dependent on situation and perception. You just know that an 18-year old driving a modded Civic is going to get the book thrown at him no matter what…
Old 09-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

It would never occur to me to be anything but polite and apologetic. Getting angry will get you exactly nowhere in terms of trying to get off the hook. What's the point?

That having been said I've only had one ticket in my life, written this past summer in Washington State (where they're fascists about speed limits). The few times I've been stopped I've managed to sweet-talk my way out of the ticket.

I don't drive like a maniac -- no idiotic lane-snaking, sudden moves, last-second exits, nonsense like that. Steady, predictable driving, that's me. Sometimes awfully fast but usually only in spurts and when conditions are good.

The worst drivers on the highways, it seems to me, are guys in minivans. They can out-maniac the average Porsche driver any day of the week. After that are teenagers in farted-up Hondas and such (and damn if they're not constantly challenging me to races!). Ninety-nine percent of the time I just laugh at them, but occasionally I'll put the hammer down and leave 'em in the dust.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
kjurkic
Instructor

Default Spoke too soon

. 1 - Open Mouth
+2 - Insert Foot
+3 - Don't knock on wood
+4 - Sunny Friday afternoon with minimal traffic
+5 - Radar detector in glove-box instead of on dash
=$360 for 141kph

K
Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,049 Likes on 746 Posts

K

When did this happen .. today ?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Clive, he's in BC...but they also have their share of BS laws.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM
blur911
Advanced

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
Christien,

You need a Bel STi. Pays for itself in ... even faster in yer case, it seems. ;-)

-Brent

Funny, it cost me almost $200 for the OPP to dispose of mine, didn't save me much.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,049 Likes on 746 Posts

it cost me the same for 93 in a 60 ( speed trap in a hamlet, it droped from 80 to 60 and i didn't see the sign )
Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kjurkic
ZOOKIE:
A-,A,A+ $500
B-,B,B+ $400
C-,C,C+ $250
etc :^)
- I only teach at Community College level, so if your in ENG201 or higher, yer on yer own!
K
lolz sick
Old 10-19-2007, 12:37 AM
bavorak
Instructor

HA, HA, HA, It's nice to catch a break every once in a while! Good thing you showed him some respect by staying below 50 over, even if it was by only 3km/h. lol
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
kjurkic
Instructor

Default Here's how it went down yo'

On Friday, Oct 12, at approximately 12:10PM, the suspect was observed travelling in an easterly direction. He was witnessed passing another vehicle at an extreme rate of speed, and was observed to have reduced speed significantly before a radar measurement could be taken.

When questioned, the suspect would neither confirm nor deny his awareness of the speed as stated by the officer. Following usual entrapment procedure, the officer inquired as to whether the suspect knew what speed he was travelling at when he passed the other vehicle. The suspect maintained silence on this matter, and the officer was therefore unable to achieve proof, confession or acknowledgement of guilt for a higher speed. When asked why he was in such a hurry, the driver replied that he was not in a hurry, nor did he state a reason for his exceeding the posted limit. The officer performed the usual check for warrants or priors on the suspect, but no current violations or infractions were discovered. No inspections were made of the vehicle & no search for contraband was performed.

A ticket for excessive speed in violation of the MVA 148(1) was issued, and the suspect was given a verbal warning to observe the posted limits.

----I was polite, and had license & reg at hand when he approached the window. Let's face it, if the officer wanted to really give me grief that day, there is a WHOLE lot more he could have done than give me the fine & safety lecture.

I will never dis a police officer for doing his job!

- RANT WARNING
I don't like paying the velocity tax, but I will certainly not fight. Many people here buy Porsches because they take some pride in their driving skill and take care of their cars, but all of you know (or are even related to) people who are dangerous enough without adding speed into the mix. There are many cars out there which are hazardous enough at the posted limit (I should know, I've owned enough of them), and they need to be kept down for all of our sake.

I don't agree with many provinces that bump up insurance rates or points premiums just for a few tickets---this is a case of being guilty until proven innocent. I have yet to see any valid studies that link speeding in excess of the posted limits with an increased likelihood of collision; excessive speed for the road/traffic/weather/alertness/mechanical is where the problems occur.

I also don't care a whole lot for the "safety lecture", because if that is what the fines are TRULY about, then why do I never see radar patrols in the rain, or in winter?

If it is about highway safety, why aren't they busting the people driving TOO SLOW as well as too fast?

If it is about highway safety, why is there still no fine for cell phone usage?

If it is about highway safety, why is the speed limit on a 2-lane, no-shoulder, driveway access highway, the same as a 4 or 6 lane, divided, limited access highway?

I know it seems that I am both endorsing tickets, and then denying their effectiveness; tickets are effective at getting people to slow down, but we don't need the lecture on safety until such a time as the true hazards are addressed, and posted speeds are based on logic rather than political expediency and the illusion of safety.

sorry for the rant

Ken

Quick Reply: Clocked at 147 Km/h in a 100 Km/h zone...