Notices

Clocked at 147 Km/h in a 100 Km/h zone...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on being polite...it should work 9/10 times.

OR...

you could say, "phew, officer I'm sorry for speeding, but my ex wife was a cop, and for a minute I thought you were her and you wanted me BACK!"

might work too.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
It's real easy to get to 140 -150 in a heartbeat in these cars. Phil you were just tickling the 50 over rule that may get enacted in Ont. The boys in blue may not be as forgiving if/when that gets put in place, so be careful. I have my alarm set at 140 ... to keep me from getting real silly in the car
I had my alarm set for 150, but I'd turned it off for Mosport the day before or else it would have been going off all the time on the track. Yeah I am a lucky ba$tard! I think I need to buy a few loto tickets tonight!
Yeah where's Clive?... I thought he'd pop into this discussion considering his wealth of experience with the boys in blue. Now he's going to key my car at the next GTG because I get the best parking spots at Terminal 1 AND I get off without a ticket!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dad says it's because you have hair hahaha

Has he told you the story of getting caught at 260km/h on his way to Banff? Back in the 930 Turbo days.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
+1 on being polite...it should work 9/10 times.

OR...

you could say, "phew, officer I'm sorry for speeding, but my ex wife was a cop, and for a minute I thought you were her and you wanted me BACK!"

might work too.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

stop braging phil.... he probely just found you attractive... lolz
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

no kiddin'

happy birthday phil! ya lucky SOB :P
Old 09-22-2007, 07:07 PM
turboGary
Racer

147... well at least you were not racing.. that being 150...

I was doing 160 in my VW this morning all the way down the 404, passed a newer 911 Turbo convertable who was messing around in traffic.

Had to show him how to do it. He didn't bother trying to keep pace.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
kjurkic
Instructor

We heard about that BS law coming into play in Ontario. Don't you just love that fact that if are doing 99kph down a residential street, you slip under the wire, but 151 on an empty hwy and its time to drop 'em & bend over?

This is just a bull**** ploy by the syphilitic politicians in gov't to show they are "cracking down" on street racers - A TOTALLY different hazard to the public than a heavy left foot on the open road. Vancouver also has a street racing problem, but again the solution isn't to punish everyone with the same whip. Just as with all the BS people have to go through at the airport, or at the border, no one is any safer in the end, but some dick-weed politico gets to bray about "protecting the citizens" From WHAT? I fear the end result of unfettered gov't more than any terrorist.

Sorry for the rant, but as I go through mid-life, and see the stupidity, I have less respect for "authority" or "society" than I ever did as a teenager.

BACK ON TOPIC
Since the subject is tickets, I have received only one in the last 20 years, and that was when I let my attention slip & didn't even notice that I was about 20kph over (4 lane hwy, but 60kph zone). This despite the fact that I when on the open road, I often cruise well above the speed that would land my butt in jail in Ontario....because when I do that-I am PAYING ATTENTION. I see them before they see me. (they don't hide here, they always cruise) Not to say that that a bit of luck hasn't played part.

In the 80's as a young dumb-a$$ driving fast cars, I often got pulled over, and still talked my way out of 2 tickets, and talked a serious 3rd down a big jump.

As stated, be polite - they are just doing their job, even if a few like it a little TOO much. HOWEVER, never say "yes officer, I know I was travelling in excess of..." That is a confession, and you have screwed yourself if you decide to go to court. Worse yet is "Well I wasn't paying attention and I guess I was a bit fast" - Imagine a pilot reporting a near-collision saying "Well I wasn't paying attention..."

As noted, pull over immediately, turn off the car, do nothing suspicious, have your papers ready, be polite & even make small talk. The one I talked down, I was (emtpy road, 3 cars an hour) well over 180kph. I stopped so quickly, that the officer didn't even have his car turned around before I had my D/L & registration ready. He even complimented me on my reflexes. *Note -pulling over when an officer flashes his lights is NOT an admission of guilt*. We talked a bit, when he asked me if I knew how fast I was travelling, I did not give a number, but stated that I was travelling at a speed appropriate for the road conditions, my state of alertness, and my vehicles capability. I didn't get off with a warning, but even back then, fines for such speed were significant, plus he could easily have busted me & impounded my vehicle. Instead I received the minimum, plus a verbal to "take it down just a notch".

I must confess to also being spoiled by living in a small, remote city where the RCMP get to know the trouble-makers, and tend to let a lot slide. A young friend of mine who got busted a few times for the usual dumb-*** teenage moves (smoke shows on main st, donuts in mall parking lot, 4x4ing through construction areas) can't get a break for a few kph over. I have never given the police cause to bother me, and I drive the only 928 in the entire region that is on the road daily. More than once, travelling at about 120-125kph on the highway, I have been "flashed" but not pulled over.

I don't know what the OPP behaviour is like, but I still have respect for the RCMP.

Sorry if I went a bit overboard

Ken
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I almost always get a warning (knock on wood!) because I:

* Immediately admit what I did wrong
* Don't reach into the glovebox (freaks the officer out wondering if you're about to pull a gun out of there)
* Answer all his/her questions in a genuine and honest way
* Demonstrate that I'm a decent guy driving a bit over the limit in a car that makes it tough to stay below 160km/h

You take a chance by doing this, because if your intent is to fight the ticket in court, it becomes tough given that you've verbally admitted speeding, etc. By being sincere, honest and nice, the officer usually engages in a conversation about the car and it turns an ugly situation into a minor inconvenience.

Being a young guy in a flashy sports car carries an implied image, so I think you need to show that you're not some arrogant spoiled rich kid waiting to use the words, "I wasn't speeding" or "I'll see you in court buddy!"

In aggregate, I've come out much farther ahead by using the tactics above, rather than fighting tickets in court, etc. Having said that, I rarely go beyond the flow of traffic and when I do get pulled over, it's usually for 20-40km/h above the speed limit so I don't know if this will work for 50+
+1. I've had several warnings over the past few years but no tickets for 8 years up until two weeks ago. I was pulled over for going over 100 in a 50 (no, not residential. An empty University HWY at 12am on a Sunday). The cop gave he the lowest fine given my clean record and "being a decent, honest guy".
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Christien,

You need a Bel STi. Pays for itself in ... even faster in yer case, it seems. ;-)

-Brent
Old 09-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kjurkic
We heard about that BS law coming into play in Ontario. Don't you just love that fact that if are doing 99kph down a residential street, you slip under the wire, but 151 on an empty hwy and its time to drop 'em & bend over?

This is just a bull**** ploy by the syphilitic politicians in gov't to show they are "cracking down" on street racers - A TOTALLY different hazard to the public than a heavy left foot on the open road. Vancouver also has a street racing problem, but again the solution isn't to punish everyone with the same whip. Just as with all the BS people have to go through at the airport, or at the border, no one is any safer in the end, but some dick-weed politico gets to bray about "protecting the citizens" From WHAT? I fear the end result of unfettered gov't more than any terrorist.

Sorry for the rant, but as I go through mid-life, and see the stupidity, I have less respect for "authority" or "society" than I ever did as a teenager.

BACK ON TOPIC
Since the subject is tickets, I have received only one in the last 20 years, and that was when I let my attention slip & didn't even notice that I was about 20kph over (4 lane hwy, but 60kph zone). This despite the fact that I when on the open road, I often cruise well above the speed that would land my butt in jail in Ontario....because when I do that-I am PAYING ATTENTION. I see them before they see me. (they don't hide here, they always cruise) Not to say that that a bit of luck hasn't played part.

In the 80's as a young dumb-a$$ driving fast cars, I often got pulled over, and still talked my way out of 2 tickets, and talked a serious 3rd down a big jump.

As stated, be polite - they are just doing their job, even if a few like it a little TOO much. HOWEVER, never say "yes officer, I know I was travelling in excess of..." That is a confession, and you have screwed yourself if you decide to go to court. Worse yet is "Well I wasn't paying attention and I guess I was a bit fast" - Imagine a pilot reporting a near-collision saying "Well I wasn't paying attention..."

As noted, pull over immediately, turn off the car, do nothing suspicious, have your papers ready, be polite & even make small talk. The one I talked down, I was (emtpy road, 3 cars an hour) well over 180kph. I stopped so quickly, that the officer didn't even have his car turned around before I had my D/L & registration ready. He even complimented me on my reflexes. *Note -pulling over when an officer flashes his lights is NOT an admission of guilt*. We talked a bit, when he asked me if I knew how fast I was travelling, I did not give a number, but stated that I was travelling at a speed appropriate for the road conditions, my state of alertness, and my vehicles capability. I didn't get off with a warning, but even back then, fines for such speed were significant, plus he could easily have busted me & impounded my vehicle. Instead I received the minimum, plus a verbal to "take it down just a notch".

I must confess to also being spoiled by living in a small, remote city where the RCMP get to know the trouble-makers, and tend to let a lot slide. A young friend of mine who got busted a few times for the usual dumb-*** teenage moves (smoke shows on main st, donuts in mall parking lot, 4x4ing through construction areas) can't get a break for a few kph over. I have never given the police cause to bother me, and I drive the only 928 in the entire region that is on the road daily. More than once, travelling at about 120-125kph on the highway, I have been "flashed" but not pulled over.

I don't know what the OPP behaviour is like, but I still have respect for the RCMP.

Sorry if I went a bit overboard

Ken
mmm Intro, Body paragrahp and conclusion... i have a English Essay due next week, can you help me?
Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

i don't know how you guys do it .. I guess you just have the gift... I just payed my US ticket and now I am waiting to see what happnes to my Canadian ticket.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

got duel citizenship?
grab a lisence from the other country and surrender that one when they ask for it
Old 09-23-2007, 01:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Actually I do .. my son sees my passports and thinks I am the guy out of Lord of War .. er not quite ..
Old 09-23-2007, 04:40 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

147??? You sure you weren't in a white Ford Bronco?

Quick Reply: Clocked at 147 Km/h in a 100 Km/h zone...