Notices

2008 CDN Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 CDN Pricing

Is anyone else here who purchased an 07 Porsche not pissed about Porsche's new pricing?
The MSRP of all the '08 models are 11% down from last year, meaning that the value of an 07 has dropped.
eg in 07 an RS MSRP'd at 171,000CDN. In 08 it MSRP's at $154,000.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

What did you expect, they should have dropped the prices even more. It is still cheaper to buy a Porsche from the U.S.A then from Canada.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be pissed if I purchased an 07 , then if i were to trade in on an 08.....talk about getting screwed with your cloths on.Porsche's pricing is canada is still way off, this is why we see all the US cars here, I will NEVER buy another Canadian P-car.....EVER!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, where did you find the pricing at... I checked the website and everything is TBA...

If you have the information, could you tell me what the MSRP is for a base Cayman?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I will be pissed too if I just bought a 07. However, my 08 CTT will be here any day and I will pay less with this saving, but still not good enough looking at the actual dollar exchange rate (almost 1:1)

@Quattro Libre,
Just check the inventory at Pfaff and you can figure out the savings comparing 07 and 08 models.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Its not posted yet, but the rumour was 11% decrease and my dealer confirmed to me yesterday.
If you bought an 07 - you got f*cked by Porsche in Canada.

It also means that if you live in Canada and own any pre-08 Porsche the value of your car has just dropped by another 11%.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

One group will be pissed about the price drop and another will be happy. I bet it'll happen again for MY '09. The way I see it, this price correction had to happen, unless you want to ban importing US cars and keep an artificially high CDN price for Porsches.

Another way I look at it is if you've got the money to buy a 6-figure car (new or used), then losing 11% on it isn't going to change your lifestyle. If it is, you shouldn't have bought it. Sorry.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM
keithfox
Intermediate

<gripe>
I am confused as to why people think they got screwed because prices went down?

Have you never heard of exchange rates? They change. Forget cars. If you had bought US dollar denominated securities last year, guess what, they would be worth less cdn $. Who would you yell at - the US Government? Are they going to give you a refund? Are you going to sue them because they ran their economy poorly and lost you money. This is nonsense.

Having said that I do agree that all the car companies held their exchange rates artificially high for too long which is why cdn customers have started buying so many cars in the us whiched forced local dealerships to finally start lowering costs. They have nor gone far enough but in support of the manufacturers I can understand that Canada is a smaller market and there is a valid argument that cars should cost more here to allow them to make up for the extra overhead costs (which includes govt red tape) so straight exchange is not a valid arguement. People have to run businesses and make a profit.
</gripe>
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

One more question (and this may seem like a stupid one):

I've never bought a brand new car, I've always had used autos. I'm considering buying a new Cayman and haven't got a clue what a realistic price would be. Should I be expecting to pay MSRP or should the price be considerably less? How does one know what the invoice on these cars are? I would be ordering the vehicle, not buying one off the lot if that makes a difference.

I know that must seem like a ridiculous question, but as I said, I've never bought a new car before so have never had to go through the dealing process...

Thanks Tim, I'll check that out.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

the us dollar dropped 10 % over the last year. so the prices are still not reflected by actual difference in exchange. what if material costs came down and price dropped would you be upset. what if price went up? that is the risk of buying any asset. plus you got one year more of enjoyment.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quattro Libre
I've never bought a brand new car, I've always had used autos. I'm considering buying a new Cayman and haven't got a clue what a realistic price would be. Should I be expecting to pay MSRP or should the price be considerably less? How does one know what the invoice on these cars are? I would be ordering the vehicle, not buying one off the lot if that makes a difference.

I know that must seem like a ridiculous question, but as I said, I've never bought a new car before so have never had to go through the dealing process...

Thanks Tim, I'll check that out.
Hi Tim,

There are no ridiculous questions in life! As with all things in a relatively free market, it comes down to supply and demand. Our smaller market creates some unusual pricing with high demand cars, however the Cayman should be available at below MSRP.

Getting a Turbo or GT3/RS under MSRP would require some serious negotiating and probably a long history of purchases from that dealer and even then you'll probably end up paying MSRP.

With winter coming upon us, this would be a great time to buy a sportscar as your negotiating position is much stronger. A dealer will have to sit on that car until April of next year and that's the last thing they want to do. A quick scan of DFC and Pfaff's sites showed more than two dozen Caymans, so you should have a great time purchasing that car at a good price.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 PM
qik1320
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RR
Is anyone else here who purchased an 07 Porsche not pissed about Porsche's new pricing?
The MSRP of all the '08 models are 11% down from last year, meaning that the value of an 07 has dropped.
eg in 07 an RS MSRP'd at 171,000CDN. In 08 it MSRP's at $154,000.
how many times have I had this convo, nothing makes you fukcing guys happy.

Quick Reply: 2008 CDN Pricing