Notices

Rolled rears

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfguy
you'll have better response to this question in the boxster forum here on RL or 6speedonline. i went with a spring and wheel setup that a RL member had tested.

you can always do a test fit with spacers on your 987 before buying new wheels or lowering it. if you are close to the fenderwell lips, dialing in a bit of negative camber often does the trick.

have a look at the wheel offset calculator on www.1010tire.com to get an idea of how much wheel clearance changes with new wheels. i went fairly aggressive on my 997 wide body (+5mm on the front and +14mm on the rears) and there's still another 5mm of clearance.
For what it's worth on my Dad's 997S we put on 23mm spacers with no issues but it's too much in the front. I like the big wide stance in the rear and how the tire/wheel sits with the fender but some people don't.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
dondada
AutoX

thanks for the tips golfguy, I will ask the shop if they will let me test it out. Any downsides that you have noticed in terms of performance?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 AM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by dondada
thanks for the tips golfguy, I will ask the shop if they will let me test it out. Any downsides that you have noticed in terms of performance?
well, my 997 definitely handles better after the mods. here's what i've noticed so far:
- firmer springs work better with pasm and reduce that nervous feel in corners
- wider rear wheel track improves stability and increases understeer (997tt is setup to oversteer in sport mode) (+26mm rear and +12mm front)
- the lighter forged wheels feel more compliant to road imperfections
- looks much better with reduced fender gaps and wheels on the edge of the fenderline

in general, i would go for forged wheels (lighter but more expensive) in 19" with offsets and widths of 8.5et50 and 10et40 range (check with mooty or one of the 987 racers on rl). go with 18" if they are for track use. if you use spacers, make sure you use hub centric ones and get longer bolts. check your pm as i emailed you some threads on spacers and 987 wheels.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by golfguy
you'll have better response to this question in the boxster forum here on RL or 6speedonline. i went with a spring and wheel setup that a RL member had tested.

you can always do a test fit with spacers on your 987 before buying new wheels or lowering it. if you are close to the fenderwell lips, dialing in a bit of negative camber often does the trick.

have a look at the wheel offset calculator on www.1010tire.com to get an idea of how much wheel clearance changes with new wheels. i went fairly aggressive on my 997 wide body (+5mm on the front and +14mm on the rears) and there's still another 5mm of clearance.
Did you use to work over at ATI...Alon has your yellow 993 turbo now....right.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:05 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Did you use to work over at ATI...Alon has your yellow 993 turbo now....right.
yeap that's me. do you work there?

Quick Reply: Rolled rears