Notices

Porsche (944) servicing in Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007 | 12:32 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Default Porsche (944) servicing in Toronto?

Howdy gang ... I've got a tranny that needs swapping in my 944. My circumstances suck a bit too hard for me to do it myself (it's in the underground parking lot of my apartment building at Yonge & Bloor), so I'll need to take it somewhere to get worked on.

I've already gotten a quote from one place, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of some reputable places downtownish for me to call. And how're the Porsche dealerships (such as the place on Front Street)? I'm assuming the prices will be sky-high, but presumably I'd be able to rely on their skills.

Advice, thoughts, phone numbers would be very useful! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:14 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Call Courtney at EU Autowerks. He lives near you too and can help you get the car up to his shop in Vaughn, if need be.
Old 08-24-2007 | 12:54 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fryd
Call Courtney at EU Autowerks. He lives near you too and can help you get the car up to his shop in Vaughn, if need be.
+1
Old 08-24-2007 | 02:28 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

There have been several threads on this before - with no total consensus on best shops in town for the 944. I know - I read these threads all carefully.

I was going to GTI Tuning on Lawence - cheap, fast, good - now moved up to Richmond Hill and too hard to get to for me.

There's an east end place, Gtek - which is reputed to be good but not cheap. They don't seem very web savvy though - I sent them an email a month ago (two emails actually) and never heard back. Not shocking - but not helpful for a hi-tech guy who lives on email like me.

There are a whack of west end shops (we even had a spreadsheet going at one point), but best to search Rennlist for details. Please do report your experiences - it will help us all.

A bit of a GTA list would include...

GTek (east)
GTi Tuning (north)
EU Autowerks run by Courtney Walsh. www.euautowerks.com (HIGHLY recommended by many folks - don't know how well he knows the 944's though) (North West??)
Blaszak www.blaszakprecision.com (near Ottawa)
Mantis Racing (west)
HP Cars (although this place always get ONE recommendation - I've never heard anyone else who's gone there) (east)
AutoForum in Newmarket: Franz (Good, not all that cheap if I recall) (Very North)
Fiorano (location?)
Weltmiester (Often diss'd don't know if it's deserved) (Central/West)

I'm missing some and no one's ever made up the COMPLETE list - maybe I will someday.

The longest thread I could find on this topic is...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=toronto+shops

And one last thought is...

Check out the Tech centers on the PCA UCR website for a list of all PCA UCR recommended shops/tech centres. (Not my idea - Jaak Lepson's)

RK
Old 08-24-2007 | 03:53 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Good list. Courtney at EU drives a 944T as his own car, so he knows a thing or two about them. And Fiorano is no more for street cars....That is now Courtney (EU Autowerks). But Fiorano still run the race side...
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:04 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Oh - good news about Courtney and the 944. I'm tempted to try him myself then.

How do others solve the drop-off/pick up challenge? I'm crazy busy, have a dog that needs letting out after work, and an understanding wife (and two other cars). But dropping off a car and picking it back up from remote locations is such a hassle. Any crafty solutions?

RK
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:10 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mamooguy
I've got a tranny that needs swapping in my 944.
By the way... Just swapping the tranny in a 944 is a very easy job... I have re and re'd more then a few 944 trannies lying on my back for clutch jobs etc...

cheers,
P
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:14 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Mario @ HPCARS has done many .... he has worked on my 951 many times.
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

there's that "one" again ,,....
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:39 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by theiceman
there's that "one" again ,,....
Seen my car!!!!!!!

You west end boys all stick together ... never travel east of Yonge St. wusses ....
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:41 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

+1 for EU Autowerks
But as an alternative I would also suggest Henry @ REFINED MOTORSPORT in Etobicoke (tel: 416-248-9777)/ Very knowledgeable when it come to older Porsches and very reasonable in price. Plus he will give you a ride to the GO-train station so you can get home
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I'm just razin ya Jaak .. car looks great ...
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Bring it over to my house!! The Iceman and I will take care of it with my new saws all! Heck it worked on the parts car so it should work on a 944 too!
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:06 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
Seen my car!!!!!!!

You west end boys all stick together ... never travel east of Yonge St. wusses ....
you mean there's civilization east of Yonge St.?!?...
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:13 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Hmm ... I spoke to Mario at HP Cars and he quoted me 500 samoleans, insisted it's a difficult job. Also said the rubber mountings from my old tranny are probably shot so I should get some replacements.

I tried the Weltmeister Autowerk place on Dupont, but no answer and the mailbox is full ... also EU Autowerks and none of the phone numbers (website, yellow pages) are working.

I also called Fiorano Racing and he said that me having the replacement tranny ready to go meant it was a waste of his time and to call someone else.

Advice???

Quick Reply: Porsche (944) servicing in Toronto?