Notices

Exotic cruise picture site

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The first stage 403 part was terrible. It was practically driving alone the whole time. Next time it would be better to drive up Dundas to Hwy 6.
I didn't see any idiotic driving and I had to pass someone because he was braking in the corners and when he punched it I was having to back off. It was getting under my skin so I waited and did it in a legal and safe spot. Other then the drive home where I have to admit some of us actually were not driving normal speed limits until we caught up to majority of the group and drove home.
I was busy waiting to get my battery jump started Greg ... so I missed that entire part of the run ... darn it! But I guess it sounds like I did not miss much. Maybe we should have gone along Hwy 6 ... or even parts of Lowerbase line (fun road) ... and then headed down to 403 over at Brant St.

Mark
Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Pro

Originally Posted by arshad
Thanks Steve, but I can't take all of the credit -- Mark Walker (CDN_Wolf_Eh) worked just as hard to help put this event together and to pull it off relatively smoothly.

Thanks for the thanks Arshad! Just wish I did not have that Battery issue ... I might have been able to help minimize the number of lost cars!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Mark have you seen the videos on Utube at Koenigsegg airport.

Maybe during a future run ... we could set up an air-strip component of the cruise ... each car could make a couple of full speed runs down the air strip ... get the need for speed out of their system ... if that's possible!

Mark[/QUOTE]

We could meet at Downsview airport as the starting point, and get the speed runs done there, Make it so Number One!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Arshad has looked into airstrips & it's not as easy as you might think. Last I read, they were looking into NY sites because nobody in Canada was suitable or available or would allow it due to insurance etc etc.

Ian
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Default Airport runs.

Originally Posted by imcarthur
I believe Arshad has looked into airstrips & it's not as easy as you might think. Last I read, they were looking into NY sites because nobody in Canada was suitable or available or would allow it due to insurance etc etc.

Ian
I've been to two events at Downsview airport where you test drive cars on a course laid out by the organizers. One was sponsored by Mini, I think the other was Cadillac.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting. But, that's a car company & we're a just bunch of whacks. They want a cool little cone course setup (I assume) but we're asking for high speed flat out run.

But Arshad was doing the checking . . .

Ian
Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM
TurboS
Drifting

I'm not sure you would have to be that specific when renting the airstrip, other than it's being used for a vehicle gathering.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 AM
arshad
AutoX

Yeah Ian's right, I ran into a dead-end on potential airstrips that are within 2 hours of Toronto. In order to do a top speed run, you need a strip at least 2 miles long as high end cars need > 1 mile to hit 200mph+ and then you need enough run-off to slow down safely. Large airstrips like this are generally off limits during daylight hours, and airstrips that are no longer in use are often in a state of disrepair making it unsafe for high speed attempts.

I got nowhere with Downsview, but if anyone has an inside connection there I'd love to hear from them. In addition to renting the place, there are also liability and safety issues that need to be addressed.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 AM
TurboS
Drifting

If we limit the terminal speed to 250 or 200 kph, accelerting from a range of 25-50 kph, that should be enough to get the participants excited without the need for an excessive area to decelerate.

My only thought would be renting an existing racetrack, if an airport strip is not feasible.

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/

They run top fuel dragsters on their track so the run off area should be sufficient for us to slow down.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:18 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

What about the Brampton Flying Club?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brampton_Airport

My Dad is on the Board of Directors there....? Might help.

Not the longest obviously but a runway no less.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
arshad
AutoX

Best bet is definitely Downsview if we can get them interested. At 7000ft it's not long enough for top speed testing, but good enough (and wide enough) for high speed runs. It's also very nicely paved.

For a top speed run, you need one of the big runways at Pearson for example, ie 11,000+ ft in order to hit top speed and then slow down safely.

Brampton is 2500 ft -- I think most drag strips are around 3000 ft.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Is there a main number for Downsview, or are you having trouble finding the right person to speak to.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like it's a Crown Corp called Downsview Park. They're having a drifting thing in August so they do let cars on but probably for big $s.

See Downsview

Ian

Google source via Wiki.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Default The Steven Spielberg of Chapters GTG

Eshel,

Is your movie done yet?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Exotic cruise picture site