Notices

Length of time before I can insure new car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Length of time before I can insure new car?

Maybe bringing a new car across the border next week. How long does the inspection/etc process take for most people? Can I not insure the car until I get all of those completed? Several places mention 10 days for RIV to send the inspection form.

Or am I overcomplicating things and I just need to take it to a Canadian Tire for the provincial inspection as soon as I cross, get the sticker, go get insurance....then take care of the federal/RIV stuff after that?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

First, make sure you read this:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=288322

Then, to answer your specific questions, you can insure it whenever you want. The insurance company doesn't care if you take out a policy on a car you don't yet own. I would advise insuring it during transport, in case anything happens to it.

As for the RIV inspection form, you'll need to receive it in the mail before you go to Canadian Tire, and sometimes they don't send it out. Last time I did it they didn't send the form because somehow my payment didn't get processed at the border. They're not supposed to let you leave without paying the RIV fee, so that never occurred to me, and confused the RIV person on the phone, too, but it happened. Once you get the form from RIV you go to CT for the inspection, then you can go to a ministry office to get the title transferred (and pay PST). You'll also need a safety and emissions test. (at least you do in Ontario, don't know about BC)

You're not over-complicating things. It's so complication I don't think you COULD overcomplicate it!

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased insurance for my car before I picked up it to drive back. They just require the VIN number.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Yup, read the pelican one fully. The question here was just to confirm a few things. That's interesting that I need the riv form BEFORE going to canadian tire, do you mean for the provincial inspection? So that means I have 10 days or so where I can't register the car after I bring it up? Does this mean I can't drive the car...or just means it's not registered? If the latter, does that impact my ability to drive it in any way?

Thanks for the reply
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Christien
Race Car

Ok, maybe I should clarify (sorry). You'll get the RIV form 1 at the border after you pay, then you'll get the form 2 in the mail, which is what you need to take to Canadian Tire. This is what you have 45 days to complete. If you don't have it pass inspection within 45 days, you have to either "export or destroy", but they'll give you an extension for even the flimsiest of excuses. You can't transfer the title into your name until form 2 is stamped by a RIV inspector at CT.

You CAN however get a trip permit to drive the car (you'll need to drive it to get it to CT to have it inspected). This is a sticker-license-plate you stick in your front windshield (so you don't need plates). In Ontario, it's $10 IIRC, and it's good for 10 days (calendar, not business). In that time you get the safety, e-test and RIV inspection, assuming all goes well with getting the form 2 from RIV. I'm assuming the BC ministry has the same kind of temp permit.

In Ont. if your trip permit expires, you're SOL. They won't issue a 2nd one to the same VIN with the same owner. When my form 2 took forever to get here because of the screwed up payment, I got lucky because I have access to dealer plates, otherwise I would've had to tow the car to CT for the inspection, then get plates before I could drive it.

Hope that clears things up, but if not, ask away. Things are starting to fade in my memory, though - it's been over a year since I've done all this
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
rebe1
Racer

My dealer issed temporary plates were good for 30 days, and I was able to drive it up here, as long as you keep the RIV issued Form 1 in your glove compartment. I noticed police checking it out, etc, but never stopped me or ask me to produce any documentation. Funny cause the dealer license frame that was put around the cardboard temporary plates cover up the issuing state as well, and the expirary date filled out by marker could had been easily changed.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Hmm, interesting - I'm not familiar with dealer-issued temp plates. That's cool that they're 30 days. A 10-day permit is a bit tough, to get all those tests done basically within a week, particularly if you happen to be employed!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

nI'm falling into some sort of legal limbo since I'm bringing the car up on Monday (victoria day) when NOTHING is open...so the binder insurance technically states a destination point the same day the car crosses the border...but I cannot take it anywhere since everywhere is closed.

Stupid holiday is really messing things up

Canadian tire says I don't need any RIV forms for the provincial inspection so that I can get my insurance/registration. All I need to do is prove I am the legal owner of the car via bill of sale or title.

Last edited by BrockPorsche; 05-18-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Christien
Race Car

Make sure the border crossing is open, too. The local one near here is only open M-F 9-4:30 or something like that. I wouldn't worry too much about what the ins. co. says about destination points, assuming you mean a shop for inspection. I'm sure they'd rather it be in your garage than in a parking lot somewhere (you too!)

Have you got a temp permit yet?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

temp permit? you mean an insurance binder? doing that this afternoon.

And I'll hit the DMV down there for an in-transit permit when I get the car.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Christien
Race Car

No, I meant the dmv permit - I guess they call it an in-transit permit there. Here they call it a trip permit. Just wanted to make sure you got one before the long weekend!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I brought a car across on the Easter weekend: RIV was closed, so Can. Customs advised me to pay the ~ $205 RIV fee on-line when arriving at home. They politely collected the 6.1% duty, $100 for AC, and 6% GST, and stamped Form 1 approved.
I paid the RIV fee and waited - and waited: 2 wks. later, I called them .... and was informed that I must fax in my Form 1 and Recall Clearance Letter - these were not forwarded from Can. Customs: RIV emailed the Form 2 in a pdf file within 2 days.
Cdn. Tire then did the RIV compliance Inspection according to Form 2 to assure that it passed before any consideration of the provincial MVI.
During this process, I drove around with the temp permit from the state of purchase, and had full insurance bound prior to leaving the sellers lot.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:28 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hey Brock,

If you get in a jam, have the car towed to my place on Monday. You can keep it here until you get things cleared up.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:35 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Brock - you get a form 1 at the border when you pay your duty, GST, and RIV fees. They send your money and a copy of form 1 to ottawa. Drive the car to your home on the ICBC binder of insurance - it runs out at midnight of the day you bring it over. You can go get some storage insurance if you're worried, but you can't get any insurance which will allow you to drive the car (see below).

Call ottawa a couple days later, once you're sure they have your money and the form 1. When they say they do, YOU have to send a copy of the recall letter to them by fax or by email (this was where I got caught out - I didn't know that). Once you do that, they will fax or email form 2 to you the same or next day.

I reckon that if you drive over the border on monday, you'll migt be able to have your form 2 in hand by thursday.

Once form 2 is in hand you will go get a one day permit from ICBC, which is meant for use only while getting your car inspected. If you are driving to your mom's house, and you crash, you will not be covered, you have to be on your way to, or coming from the inspection.

With the one day permit in hand, go get the provincial inspection done (recomend SCAN in NV right) and that same day, go to crap tire - first come first served. James at SCAN will even take it to crap tire for you if you arrange accordingly. Make sure you get your DRL's working...that's pretty much all the crappy tire guys look for, other than making sure the certification sticker is on the door frame.

The crap tire guys sign off on form 2, they FAX the completed form 2 to ottawa, then you are done. Go to the autoplan, plunk down you 2.5 large for a year's worth of insurance, and go impress some chix with your new ride.

Simple no?

Please tell me you have notified the "Blaine Export Team" at least three days in advance that you will be exporting a vehicle, and thatthey have emailled you confirming your request.

There better be some pics posted on monday afternoon buddy!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:05 PM
BrandX
Instructor

I'm in the middle of this right now. I brought my car back from Chicago last week (arrived Thursday afternoon). Before I get the CT inspections (both safety and RIV), I need to get a new set of tires put on. New tires were originally part of the deal for the car, but that's another story. So I've paid the duty and GST, and once I get the tires on, I can go to CT with the Form1. Brad at the Poco CT tells me that I do not need the Form2 at the time of inspection. Once the car passes the inspection, I can register and insure the car (and pay PST, of course). Once the Form2 arrives, I can take it in when it arrives for a stamp of approval.

HTH

Quick Reply: Length of time before I can insure new car?