Notices

Length of time before I can insure new car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:30 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies although some of the info I have is different Jasper. I spent a bunch of time on the phone with RIV and ICBC yesterday and here's the plan:

Get the car across the border...take it straight to the CT. They don't need Form 2 for provincial inspections, all they need are proof showing that I own the car (title, bill of sale, etc) and the Form 1 that the border handed me, which they stamp. I get the car inspected and most insurance places can come right by when it's done and insure the car on the spot so no need for a temp permit to drive it to an insurance place.

Also I was concerned about getting back in time to get to CT in time (holiday weekend) so the insurance place spent a while talking to ICBC. If I have to take the car home that night then to CT then next morning, it's fine. The binder still covers me. Apparently Form 2 isn't really needed in the plate/register/insure process.

I AM still slightly worried since I can find a lot of places online that say I need the form 2 to get insured....and lots of others that dont, as well as my insurance place and canadian tire that say I don't. Surely someone is wrong....or is it THAT grey?

Thanks for all the help everyone! Much appreciated.

<EDIT>: Just confirmed on the phone again with my insurance place, they said they ONLY need a Form 1 stamped in two places (border and inspection) to register/plate/insure the car. Form 2 is for "special circumstances" and most cars don't need it. In addition they will come directly to the inspection place and insure it on the spot.

<EDIT2>: I've just phoned two other insurance places and they say the same thing. No Form2 needed, just proof of ownership of the car and a Form 1 stamped by the inspector. Where does the recall compliance come in here? Noone has said I need it yet.

<EDIT3>: confirmed with canadian tire, no form 2 needed, only form 1 for insurance/register/plate. form 2 needs to be brought back for a federal within 45 days to be stamped, but it's not needed in the insurance process whatsoever. I feel content now.

<EDIT4>Had another CT tell me I NEED the Form 2. Looks like it depends on which CT you go to and what they feel like.

good times

Last edited by BrockPorsche; 05-19-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:18 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandX
...Brad at the Poco CT tells me that I do not need the Form2 at the time of inspection. Once the car passes the inspection, I can register and insure the car (and pay PST, of course). Once the Form2 arrives, I can take it in when it arrives for a stamp of approval.

HTH
Oh really? - that's interesting to know. Maybe next time
Old 05-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow - some real differences prov. to prov .... on a Federal issue! Here, CT wouldn't do jack until RIV returned Form 2, for that is where specific inspection criteria for compliance are spelled out .. and Form 2 issuance was contingent on RIV having the Recall letter.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Garth S
Wow - some real differences prov. to prov .... on a Federal issue! Here, CT wouldn't do jack until RIV returned Form 2, for that is where specific inspection criteria for compliance are spelled out .. and Form 2 issuance was contingent on RIV having the Recall letter.
I will be surprised if Brock is able to regsiter and insure his new car on a form 1 only. although I've been wrong before - lots even.

It's true that older cars (15 yrs or more) don't need either a form 2 or a federal inspection. They just need a provincial safety inspection. That may be where the confusion is - if there is indeed confusion.

CT will do a provincial inspection without a form2 - as will any shop. Later model cars though need a federal inspection, and a "filing" of the form 2 before they can be registered.

When I went to register and insure my car - I'm pretty sure the autoplan agent needed a copy of form 2. Also...I called a few autoplan brokers before I had form 2 in hand and asked how and if I coud insure my car before the federal inspection was done and they said no every time.

Brock - please please post your experience here so we will have the straight goods.

thx
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Is autoplan insurance? Every time I've bought a car, in Canada or the US, I've always put insurance on it before registering the title in my name. I've had to, in order to take the get safeties and emissions tests done. How else would you get the tests done? Towing? That's why they give you a temp permit.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Christien
Is autoplan insurance? Every time I've bought a car, in Canada or the US, I've always put insurance on it before registering the title in my name. I've had to, in order to take the get safeties and emissions tests done. How else would you get the tests done? Towing? That's why they give you a temp permit.
Autoplan is indeed insurance. Here in BC, car insurance is sold by and maintained by the provincial government. In their system, you insure the car, not the driver (it's kind of stupid). In order to insure your car for normal use, you have to register it. It's all wrapped together.

Now, ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC) will sell you insurance for a car that isn't registered in BC, but they won't let you drive it around and go to work and do errands. Basically they won't issue license plates without the car being registered in BC.

They'll sell you temporary operting permits, with restrictions always, and I bought a binder of insurance from ICBC to let my parents drive the car through the states - but they told me as soon as I arrive in BC, the binder expires at midnight that night. After that I had to buy another temporary permit - but tey told me that it's good only while driving to and from the inspection facility.

It's all very confusing - and it sounds as though Brock heard a different story - we'll hear how it worked out hopefully.

Quick Reply: Length of time before I can insure new car?