Notices

Selling boxster - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Selling boxster - any advice?

Ok, I know I'm not supposed to be posting for sale ads if I'm not a rennlist member - I did post it a while ago, before I realized that, but not since. But I wonder if anyone could give me any advice in selling this car. I've had it listed for quite a while (Auto Trader, UCR classifieds) and I've got several calls, but all lowball offers.

Here's the basics for the ad:
www.calfinancial.ca/boxster
Mileage just clicked over 33,000 kms.
US car, fully Canadianized.

It's listed in Auto Trader at $31K, I'll accept $30K. I even accepted an offer at $28K only for the guy to back out and say his wife will now only let him spend $25K. Sure, buddy. Thing is, I don't NEED to sell it quickly, so I'm not going to give it away, but I don't really drive it much, and have no need for it - it's just taking up garage/driveway space.

Am I asking too much? Is it just a really soft market right now? Am I advertising in the wrong places? (saw a 98 boxster for sale in Saturday's Globe, asking I $31K, with higher mileage)

Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the same boat - car for sale and no rush to sell. I've had my Targa listen in Autotrader for awhile, but it has generated very little interest despite being the cheapest 02 on there (I think the price is fair given the mileage)

Been meaning to list it here on Rennlist, but I have been lazy!

My guess is that the market is soft, but I really can't say too much. Oh well, summer is here and I am enjoying it
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Christien
Race Car

See, that's the problem - I'm not enjoying it. We've got a 9-month old, so we can't take the boxster anywhere as a family. When I'm out by myself, I much prefer driving the 911. We were out last night in the boxster without the baby, and it was nice having the top down, but not that big of a deal.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's not moving it because it is not priced right.
Low km for a 1999, but that only helps sell the car faster when it comparable to other similarly priced cars. It is really low and some people may wonder why.
U.S car selling in Canada. Not good for resale. Plus have you seen what they are selling in the U.S for!
I think you should have taken the 25 if you really wanted to sell it.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Jumper5836 is right unfortunately.

an 8 years old base boxster will not sell anywhere close to $30K no matter what options it has. $25K sounds like a fair price, but you might as well keep it at that price.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

00'S with 32K went for $28k recently ... your too high.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The market is not soft........people are buying cars.........it is May 14 and I have 8 deals for the month so far. There a lot of Boxsters around, that is all. Everyone I know wants a Boxster S as opposed to the base model though.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:42 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Christien, you are in a good position: not in a rush to sell. With summer on the horizon, potential buyers will come out.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I cant even get 64,000 for an 04 C2 with great options!! and still in warranty and its a canadian car!....I feel your pain, thats why it will sit beside my 04 US white TT cab....
Old 05-15-2007, 09:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

//but doesn't there have to be a cut off point sooner or later ? ..is the theory if you wait you will get more ?..what happens if it doesn't sell and next year it is a MY even older.. is this part of the gamble of waiting?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Kirk930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that when I was selling my SC I lowered the price in increments and eventually I hit a "magic number" because I suddenly got a barrage of calls about the car and it sold within a week.

I was asking too much initially, but eventually got to "market value" and it sold right away.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think Kirk got it right ... If there are more cars available you will have to be in the range or just under to move it quicker.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Christien
Race Car

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. Of course I've got it listed higher than I'll sell for, but I did that deliberately, figuring nobody would pay asking price. Everyone wants a bargain, right? Doesn't matter whether that's real or perceived.

Clive, you're right that holding out too long makes it a MY older. Maybe that's what happened last year. Of course, all the while we are still using it at least somewhat, so we're consuming depreciation, I guess you could say, and that costs money, no doubt.

I was starting to get a bit concerned because the calls had stopped coming in. I checked Auto Trader to compare other cars for sale (as I do frequently) and duh, my ad had expired! No wonder the calls dried up. Last year they hounded me to renew, so I assumed they'd do the same this year, so I never thought about it. It'll be in the next one, priced $1K lower.

I guess I've heard people say time and time again that if you wait, the right buyer will come along. I'm fully aware that if you're prepared to do plenty of research and jump through hoops to buy a car, you can a comparable car for much cheaper than I'm asking. That's not the market I'm targeting - I'm targeting people who'd rather pay someone else (i.e. me) to do all that work.

Anyway, thanks again - even though I haven't lowered the price to what some of you have suggested, don't think I'm just ignoring your suggestions. I'm keeping everything in mind. Hopefully I'll have a "SOLD" post to add to this thread soon!

Chris
Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey Christien

I say screw it .. supercharge it and track it :-)
Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Christien
Race Car

Heh, yeah, right! You know, I did think about keeping it as a track car, but it's too pristine to do that to, plus it's the first series 2.5L motor, which is kind of underpowered. It'd be like an NA 944.

Quick Reply: Selling boxster - any advice?