Notices

I just got a speeding ticket ... fk!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a rep in Florida who has sent me tons of stuff - detectors (all makes/models) and laser jammers (I think only Blinder). If you're interested I can inquire further and get pricing for you.

Alternatively, you could use ebay.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
A friend of mine is a traffic officer. He drives an unmarked car with laser,radar, and moving radar.
He always tells me to fight the ticket.
If you fight it on your own go for night court. Your odds are greater the officer won't show up.
During the day they are scheduled to attend court.
I got a ticket in Nov. 2005 on an off ramp (W/B Gardiner at Park Lawn doing 109 in a 60 ). I hired Pointts. I went to court Dec. 2006. The court tries to plead everyone down to small fine.
With the amount of people at court 2 people wanted to go to trial (myself included).
By the time they got to my case there was no time to hear my case. Instead of throwing it out I have to go back this July.
Good luck in fighting your ticket.
Update: Case was dropped on July 10th for taking too long to hear court case under the Charter of rights. I didn't even go to court. The traffic ticket agent handled everything. Best money I spent.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobles record is spotless unlike his chin
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you wished him well until the court appearance...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peritus
I hope you wished him well until the court appearance...
It was my first speeding ticket in 17 years. What annoyed me about the ticket was the location.
They were set up on the off ramp from the westbound Gardiner at Lakeshore West. It is a 1 kilometre section of road however you are expected to slow down to 60kph as soon as you exit the Gardiner. They have since raised the limit to 70 kph and they now give you a little more room to slow down.
Fwiw if I was ever speeding in a school zone or residential area I wouldn't fight the ticket.

Last edited by Brian 162; 07-14-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I live right there. That place is nothing more than a speed trap. 70 kph along the entire ramp, right up until just before it turns under the Gardiner, where there is an illogical 60 kph sign. Revenue generator.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

There is also a 100kph begins sign (for the QEW) on the left before the 60kph sign. I tell friends when they come over to slow down on that ramp. The ramp on the easbound Gardiner at Park Lawn is worse because if you do the limit you will get passed like you are standing still.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

So what's the best laser jammer then? The LPP or the Blinder?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:43 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I live right there. That place is nothing more than a speed trap. 70 kph along the entire ramp, right up until just before it turns under the Gardiner, where there is an illogical 60 kph sign. Revenue generator.
Yup, I live in that area too and the cops just sit there picking cars off. Once you know that they camp out there, you can see them a mile away. It's too bad because that decreasing radius left under the QEW is a blast, particularly with the PSE singing off the walls!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

gonna leech this thread a bit,
i just got a proper speeding ticket (3 points 26 over....never in the porsche..always in some ****ing mazda :@ )...when you fill out the paperwork 2 fight it, do you check off the box where it says you will challenge the crown's evidence? Then the cop has to show up right, therefor making it more likely the case will be dropped due to schedualing conflicts?

is there any point in gettting a first attendence?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

First attendance will be a plea-bargain session with the prosecutor. They'll offer you a set reduced speed/fine/points, based on a chart. Take it or leave it. They can't (or won't) drop the charge entirely, no matter what you say. If you're looking to reduce fine/points, this is the easy way - show up, wait your turn, agree to the deal, leave happy. If you're looking to save your insurance costs, this won't do it. A conviction is a conviction, according to your insurance company, whether it's 1 over or 100 over. If it's an insurance thing, you may as well skip the first attendance and go straight to the trial option. Yes, you'll have to check the intend to challenge box, and plead not guilty. Guilty with an explanation or whatever it says will still result in a conviction, unless you've got a reason why it was absolutely necessary for you to be speeding (medical emergency or something).

Check out this site - it's awesome:
http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/
Old 07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

sounds good. i'm just looking to drop as many points as possible...is the paperwork for first attendence different than for normal court? usually tey just hand me the court form
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure. It's probably different for every jurisdiction, and the only one I'm really familiar with is Brantford. (Got nailed on the 403 coming home from visiting the folks, in the process of fighting it right now, waiting for an adjourned court date on Halloween of all days!)

For 1st attendance there, I'd sent in the ticket marked not guilty, intend to challenge, and they sent me a letter with the attendance date. Basically show up, put your name on a list and they go in the order of people on the list. Nothing official, off the record, sat down with the prosecutor, she looked at the charge, looked at her chart and said this is what I'll offer, nothing more, nothing less, take it or leave it. If you take it you waive your right to a trial and I believe you can pay it right then and there, or take a couple weeks. Your conviction is registered that day and it's a done deal.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thread.
Funny thing, I have a hearing in the morning re my 300ZX TT. No front plate; contrary to the 'looking better without one' act. I have since snapped some pics of a license plate bracket. The legitimate excuse is that it's not a North American fascia and doesn't support the NA brackets. I hope the crown will drop it after they see the bracket and the plate joyfully together again albeit not mounted on the car.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

They want to plea bargain so the court isn't tied up with everyone pleading not guilty. If they offer you a reduction it STILL counts against your insurance points or no points. A speeding conviction is the same whether you are 15 over or 30 over.
Try night court. Better chance the cop won't show. A friend of mine is a traffic cop. He says if they don't show up to court they don't have to answer to their superiors.
Or do what I did. I hired someone to fight my ticket and the charge was stayed.

Quick Reply: I just got a speeding ticket ... fk!