Notices

Road Racing in Edmonton AB. area

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Big Poppa T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road Racing in Edmonton AB. area

Does anybody know of any race tracks (other than bud park) in the Ed. Ab. area I`ve heard something about time trials and open road racing at the closed down municipal airport but cant find any relevant info on it. Ive been out to bud park a couple of times but I`d rather race out on a track. Without getting arrested... again.
Thanx .T.
1982 us spec 928 comp. package custom exhaust, no cats
Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Big Poppa T
Does anybody know of any race tracks (other than bud park) in the Ed. Ab. area I`ve heard something about time trials and open road racing at the closed down municipal airport but cant find any relevant info on it. Ive been out to bud park a couple of times but I`d rather race out on a track. Without getting arrested... again.
Thanx .T.
1982 us spec 928 comp. package custom exhaust, no cats
At this time of year, shouldn't you be looking into ice racing?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Big Poppa T
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ipecac
At this time of year, shouldn't you be looking into ice racing?
Actually I was talking about the upcoming racing season. Just trying to get a jump on a season thats way to short as it is
Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Have you tried the local Porsche club (Polar Region, properly named that's for sure).
They run the Pax system at the old Namao airforce base, now a land force base.
I can paste the link if you want for more info (can't find it right now).

Calgary has a great track that the P club members team up with BMW for races in the early summer.

Rob
Old 02-05-2007, 04:35 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

---Cross-posted from the racing forum---

The PCA runs a really fast autocross course up at Namao. Hopefully we will have access to the base again this year. Check out the page at www.pca.org/pol

Castrol raceway (formerly bud park) has the groundwork done for a road course, but I've been hearing "it will be done this year" for the last 5 years.

Lastly, there is Stratotech park up by ft. Sask. which is a truly world class go-kart track. They race motorcycles up there as well. There is an opportunity to do DEs with the SVT club and the Audi club.

As far as I know, there is never an opportunity to get on the molson indy course unless you are part of the race weekend and the airport is still fully functioning for the rest of the year.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Justin
Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
rpollock
5th Gear

Race City Motorsport Park in Calgary is the track you are thinking of. There are quite a few user groups, offering everything from DE, lapping days, autocross, wheel to wheel, vintage racing, etc. What type of racing did you want to get involved with?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Big Poppa T
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by rpollock
Race City Motorsport Park in Calgary is the track you are thinking of. There are quite a few user groups, offering everything from DE, lapping days, autocross, wheel to wheel, vintage racing, etc. What type of racing did you want to get involved with?
Non Illegal for starters, other than that Its all good. so long as its not in a straight line
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
rpollock
5th Gear

Can you be a little more specific?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Big Poppa T
Advanced

Originally Posted by rpollock
Can you be a little more specific?
if its near me and doesnt involve 1/4 mile drag racing I`m game. I`m 23 and have only ever "officially" raced at castrol raceway on the drag strip, so I would be happy if someone set up some cones on the old airstrip or anything.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 PM
rpollock
5th Gear

Sounds like autocross is your interest. Try the nascc.ab.ca or as mentioned above the PCA, the BMW club may also hold autocross in Edmonton, they do here.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Looks like the Namao Land Force base may not renew the lease for the Edmonton club.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob993
Have you tried the local Porsche club (Polar Region, properly named that's for sure).
They run the Pax system at the old Namao airforce base, now a land force base.
I can paste the link if you want for more info (can't find it right now).

Calgary has a great track that the P club members team up with BMW for races in the early summer.

Rob
I'm the VP of the Wild Rose Region Porsche Club in southern Alberta and I organize the track events for the club. We use the south end of Race City Speedway for our events and we haven't teamed up with the BMW club for events. The BMW club has their events and we have ours. However, we encourage anyone to come out and give it a try since typically we get 10-15 Porsches out and we would like 24 to give us two run groups of 12. Our website is www.porsche.ab.ca and you can see the times for the cars in the Contributions: Documents section of the website. I am putting together our event schedule for this year and it looks like we will have 5 events that can be pre-booked for $175 ($35 per event). I'm thinking of going to a Polar Region event this year so hopefully I will meet you there. I encourage you to check us out if you are in the area.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

While we are on the subject, in the Polar region are you setting the minimum helmet standard to Snell 2000? I haven't found anything on the PCA site that says we have to change from Snell 95 but it appears that WCMA and other organizations have made this move.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM
DK
Instructor

Join this:
www.wcma.ca/

Race here:
http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Race_...otorsport_Park

Interesting track...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyOQTXNWhSU
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

SoloRacer, I think they adopted the new rules for helmets. I will confirm and advise back.

Rob

Quick Reply: Road Racing in Edmonton AB. area