Notices

Daytime Running Lights -- Vancouver, BC

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ipecac
I'd just like to follow-up on my original post/thread. I brought my car to James @ Scan -- they installed the DRL, completed the provincial inspection, and drove it to Cdn Tire for the federal inspection. 4 hours later, they phoned me to tell me it was done. Wow. Great service, and a great price.
Told You So !! Yes and Andy @ Scan will be doing my tranny in the next couple week . I`m pulling my motor n tranny out next week . Yahoo I`m actually excited about doing this DIY .
Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know about Scan. A buddy of mine is thinking of bringing up a 996 and will need the DRL done.

Briefescape: what's the problem with the tranny? Synchros? Back when I was doing my 914-6 conversion with the 3.0 911 SC engine I could remove the engine/trans in 90 mins by myself. But there were a few less things to deal with than with your 993.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Good to know about Scan. A buddy of mine is thinking of bringing up a 996 and will need the DRL done.

Briefescape: what's the problem with the tranny? Synchros? Back when I was doing my 914-6 conversion with the 3.0 911 SC engine I could remove the engine/trans in 90 mins by myself. But there were a few less things to deal with than with your 993.
Yes synchros a bit tired frome second to first (110k miles) and maybe some gears will need replacing once the tranny is opened . Putting new clutch n OEM flywheel while I am at it .
Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

+ 5 for SCAN - I have a long history with them and they'll be the only ones working on my 996, once the CPO runs out anyway! That said, I'd rather do the DRL mod/hack myself. Much as I like James (and I do) I'd like him even more if he didn't have an extra $300 of my hard earned dollars in my pocket
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
joesmoe
Instructor

+6 for scan, they did my provincial inspection and my oil change. Gave me a discount cuz they were already in there doing the oil change.

I hacked my drl for the crappy tire inspection, then got rid of it.

they don't go looking for the hack, just walks around to see if your lights are on.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by joesmoe
+6 for scan, they did my provincial inspection and my oil change. Gave me a discount cuz they were already in there doing the oil change.

I hacked my drl for the crappy tire inspection, then got rid of it.

they don't go looking for the hack, just walks around to see if your lights are on.
So what else does crappy tire look at? DRL - ok I'll hack that. What else? Thanks!

Oh - and if you have your hack wirin still hanging around maybe I could borrow it, and maybe you could help me install it? I'm in North Van - will travel. I'll bring beer.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
joesmoe
Instructor

Hmm, I believe he started up the car, looked at the cluster to see the KM's and to see if I had changed my readout to show KM for the speedo.

Not sure, what else, he had a checklist. Never opened the engine bay.

As for DRL, i just used plain ol wire's since I knew i was getting rid of it. No fuse tap. You can however get them if you are lazy from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...2833QQtcZphoto

What i did was run 2 wires from A6 to A3 and A4, those turned on all my marker lights around the car, and the front smaller head light, not the main head light. It seemed good enough for him.

Remember the wires are tapped at the bottom of all the fuses.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

How did the paperwork go? Specifically:

1) Did you clear at the Blaine truck crossing?
2) When did you do your import?
3) Did you need the recall clearance letter at the border, or at crappy tire?
4) Did they give you all the necessary forms at the border the day you crossed? - The RIV website makes reference to a form they mail out. What's that all about?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:35 AM
joesmoe
Instructor

hey sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights -- Vancouver, BC