Notices

GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely agree, with the unfortunate predicament of two locations on same day (unfortunately weekends have only 2 days and Sat it seems is most convenient for most in both groups). Would be great if at least on a chosen occasion we could all meet at "a location" suitable to really enjoy a large gathering of all different Porsches all together. I too will be torn to decide which direction to turn the steering wheel on Saturday mornings. I have at least tried both locations at least once (as well as the Humberview location and the Wild Goose location). Without bias, the extra distance from my house is only about 6-7 minutes driving time in the morning versus Sherway (do recommend however using 403/401 on the return vs. Gardiner, but even that took only 25 minutes from Oakville Porsche today, where a few of us enjoyed the Singer Porsche, the Allegra Motorsport GT3 Cup race car, and a 918 in an apres gathering drive to Oakville Porsche. I am certain that the enviable Sherway parking lot would not be permanently overtaken by any geriatric GM gathering if folks were interested in at least trying a different location once. I will offer my house as a motor inn on Friday night or coffee/hygiene break location on Sat morning for those whose journey for such an occasion is beyond their usual comfort so that they might at least say that they tried something different once.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
As opposed to assuming they'd be very accommodating, why don't you do the legwork and find out if they'd commit to opening early every Saturday morning at 10 am with no guarantee of how many potential customers will show up on any given weekend.

Lots of great ideas end up going nowhere. It takes a lot more research and planning to turn them into reality.
I'll call the Goose and Second cup on Monday. I know the latter will be accommodating.....
Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Who eats breakfast at Starbucks, probably Nobody. Artisan's is a sit down restaurant. I am pretty sure that if 20 potential customers were going to show up at your doorstep on a Saturday, they'd be very accommodating IMHO
I and a bunch of us ate there in the morning and it's really a fancy coffee shop and bakery not a sit down restaurant.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:22 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I and a bunch of us ate there in the morning and it's really a fancy coffee shop and bakery not a sit down restaurant.
It's a fancy coffee shop and bakery, that falls under the definition of restaurant.

"a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises."
Old 06-07-2015, 07:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

All the coffee shops fall under those conditions, but price of admission is a coffee. If the goose or any other sit down is up for that then I have no problem.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

We are all Porsche fans of course.

We come from a fairly wide urban geography of the GTA.

As things have grown there is perhaps a split between the Toronto-based and the broader based people who habitually go to the traditional GTG.

Additionally, we have a desire for owners of the longnoses to have their own event. Fair enough.

In my view this is normal and people should do as they please.

My own view would be to have people go where they please, and have perhaps a monthly supermeet where all of the groups could meet. Does not matter where.

For the other three weeks my own personal view would be to stick to our normal locations. We are seeing quite a few newer cars showing up which is essential for the continuing vitality of the marque.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Called the Goose:

They open on Saturday at 11 am,
We can meet in their parking lot at 10 am and for coffee there is a Tim hortons close by. Small inconvenience for a private lot IMHO. Lunch after the meet tbd.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

For the other three weeks my own personal view would be to stick to our normal locations. We are seeing quite a few newer cars showing up which is essential for the continuing vitality of the marque.
Great points Ronan and +1 on the "super meet". Just a little worried about the above given that increasingly limited real estate (with plans in the north Sherway mall area calling for more stores)will/currently does actually deter even more and "newer" cars from showing up in the future. This does not lend itself to continued "vitality of the marque", but rather and unfortunately an increasing number of parochial group gatherings.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

I am not doctrinaire on this in the least, and of course, if there is a decision to move the GTG then that's fine with me. However, I am less interested in circulating to multiple venues ..there is something quite pleasant in have a fixed place.
I think this may well fix itself in time. Either there will be a significant falloff in numbers at Sherway or not.

I have no particular problem with Sherway - its convenient and the containers are not of any particular concern to me. I expect that people will vote with their feet in terms of other venues which is perfectly appropriate.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For any number of reasons I am still partial with the current GTG location, quick access to 403 east, west, still quite close to 427 north, and near the type of stores where I do some of my regular shopping.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboS
Called the Goose:

They open on Saturday at 11 am,
We can meet in their parking lot at 10 am and for coffee there is a Tim hortons close by. Small inconvenience for a private lot IMHO. Lunch after the meet tbd.

I'd be up for trying this location out. McDonalds is also across the street and they have great coffee if you don't want to go up to the Tim Hortons. It's just really a few exits up from Chapters off 427 and Renforth.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

heading for Sherway in the AM
Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

See you there!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Great turnout today.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:15 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Great turnout today.
Yes it was! About 25 cars at the peak; I'm guessing the shipping containers weren't an issue? Interesting original 1989 flatnose 930 too.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday