Notices

PCNA CANCELS ALL WARRANTIES ON US IMPORTS EFFECTIVE JULY 1 and IT'S RETROACTIVE

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:24 PM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I do see the other side of it, and the Canadian dealers are getting the short end of the stick. The other problem is that if they adjust the prices, what if the CAD$ goes back down, then they'll have people importing from Canada. I think the solution is that Porsche Canada should just deal in US funds, based on the US prices :P j/k.

Anyways, I'm digging into this because I do plan on importing a car over for myself at the end of the month, and I might as well share any information uncovered as others may find it important.

Originally Posted by Zedder
Thanks for digging into this Rebel and sharing what you have learned with us. Frankly, I'm puzzled by all of this and find it hard to believe it is anything but fear mongering by the Canadian dealers in an attempt to get PCNA to do something about this situation...and for the record, I can sympathize with them being upset by the exchange dilemna as I have a number of friends who are dealer principals for other brands and they are PO'd at their HQ's also. In fact, one of them threatened their HQ with refusing to honour warranty work on US delivered cars and they told him in no uncertain terms that he should read his franchise agreement before taking any action as he would be in jeopardy of losing his dealership. If Porsche Canada buys their cars from PCNA as YYC930 stated, then wouldn't their franchise agreements also be with PCNA? And, if so, wouldn't PCNA be in the same position to yank their franchise rights?

I guess what I find most frustrating is that this issue is something that really needs to be dealt with by PCNA given that most see the Canadian dollar increasing over the coming months. To allow this to continue to fester is just plain bad business.

Last edited by rebe1; 06-23-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedder
Frankly, I'm puzzled by all of this and find it hard to believe it is anything but fear mongering by the Canadian dealers in an attempt to get PCNA to do something about this situation...and for the record, I can sympathize with them being upset by the exchange dilemna as I have a number of friends who are dealer principals for other brands and they are PO'd at their HQ's also. In fact, one of them threatened their HQ with refusing to honour warranty work on US delivered cars and they told him in no uncertain terms that he should read his franchise agreement before taking any action as he would be in jeopardy of losing his dealership.
Dealers are always PO'd at corporate; it's been like that since the begining of the car industry. As I mentioned in a earlier post, both sides have their own interests at heart and seldom are those the same. Stupid, yes but true.
With Porsche being so successful, I would assume that the franchise agreement strongly favors corporate; they don't exactly have to beg people to sign on as dealers. my $0.02
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Here's an update............

My source just told me that there will be a conference call on Monday between PCNA and the Canadian dealers.

Something has to give...........IMHO either the dealers keep pushing back hard or PCNA gets it's pricing act together.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I expect a full report on my desk Monday afternoon.

But seriously, thanks for keeping us informed! Hopefully some good (for us) will come of it!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YYC930

My source just told me that there will be a conference call on Monday between PCNA and the Canadian dealers.
Boy, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
rebe1
Racer

Do you think even the dealers want to lower its prices? That would cause them to lose money on their pre-owned as well as having angry customers who just purchased. Will be interesting to see the results, but the timing for me is really bad.. decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted by YYC930

Something has to give...........IMHO either the dealers keep pushing back hard or PCNA gets it's pricing act together.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rebe1
Do you think even the dealers want to lower its prices? That would cause them to lose money on their pre-owned as well as having angry customers who just purchased. Will be interesting to see the results, but the timing for me is really bad.. decisions, decisions.
Based on what the dealers are trying to do with the warranty, I don't think that what past customers think and feel is really top of mind for them. Dealers live in the immediate, chasing weekly and monthly sales targets. So if PCNA lowers the MSRP they won't care as long as PCNA doesn't take it out of their share and that their gross profit potential per vehicle is maintained. As for the used cars, they'll just give you even less for your trade and auction prices will also drop. It would also turn the tide on imports a bit, but it wouldn't erase the fact that sometimes you just can't find the selection you want here. I searched for 7 months using both local dealers and still they couldn't find me the right car.
rebe1,
don't fret too much. Bring in the car you love and enjoy the SUBSTANTIAL savings you got; it will go a long way towards future repairs should you even need them.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:19 PM
rebe1
Racer

Thanks, I think I am going ahead with it. I am not even thinking about resale as I plan on owning the car for a while, hence my search for CPO only cars. As for repairs, I'm sure I'll get it covered under warranty one way or another for the next 5 years (CPO'd, 1 year car), and yeah, the savings will go towards repairs afterwards.

And you're right -- I've also kept an eye out on the Canadian market, but there just aren't that many cars for sale. Right now is a good time to shop in the US because a lot of people are trading in their 2005 and 2006's for the Turbo.

That being said, I do wish that I can purchase from Pfaff, because they're really nice people, and my sister had a pretty good experience buying a Cayenne from them. Don't think they'll let go to their PDE courses though .

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Based on what the dealers are trying to do with the warranty, I don't think that what past customers think and feel is really top of mind for them. Dealers live in the immediate, chasing weekly and monthly sales targets. So if PCNA lowers the MSRP they won't care as long as PCNA doesn't take it out of their share and that their gross profit potential per vehicle is maintained. As for the used cars, they'll just give you even less for your trade and auction prices will also drop. It would also turn the tide on imports a bit, but it wouldn't erase the fact that sometimes you just can't find the selection you want here. I searched for 7 months using both local dealers and still they couldn't find me the right car.
rebe1,
don't fret too much. Bring in the car you love and enjoy the SUBSTANTIAL savings you got; it will go a long way towards future repairs should you even need them.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Used car prices have already dropped and are dropping even more..............mainly on 996's though...............the dealer will just say it's not their problem as they are not the Bank of Canada or the US FED.......and I agree with that. The current owner's and prospective owner's have a stake in this as well.....it's not just the dealers.

Last edited by YYC930; 06-24-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:02 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keith, thanks for all your information. I hope it all works out in the favor of us customers but I won't be holding my breath.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:04 PM
rebe1
Racer

YYC930,

Can you change the title of this thread to CAD Dealers, not PCNA. The title is VERY misleading, as PCNA is not cancelling any warranty whatsoever.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:18 PM
rebe1
Racer

Pfaff service is saying to its customers that as of July 1st they are NOT taking any warranty work from imported cars from the US, as directed by the Head Quarters. I called PCNA, and they told me to take down the name of the person who refused the appointment, and phone them back as they are not allowed to do this.

It will be an interesting battle.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebe1
Pfaff service is saying to its customers that as of July 1st they are NOT taking any warranty work from imported cars from the US, as directed by the Head Quarters. I called PCNA, and they told me to take down the name of the person who refused the appointment, and phone them back as they are not allowed to do this.

It will be an interesting battle.

Is this a precipitate of the meeting held today?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

this is going to be kinda interesting
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 PM
rebe1
Racer

This is based on my talking to the Service department at Pfaff (downtown fine cars is still unsure if its direction). PCNA says they cannot do this, while the dealer I'm dealing with in the US is saying that PCNA can take away their franchise if they keep on refusing warranty service.

Meanwhile, my car is being picked up this Friday, June 30th, and to be brought over Monday July 3rd. Car has lots of CPO warranty that might not be honoured by the dealers here, even though the booklets and invoice says warranty available in US and Canada for both New Car and CPO extended warranty. Now I'm hoping all those J.D. Powers surveys are worth a lick of salt :P

Originally Posted by 951North
Is this a precipitate of the meeting held today?

Last edited by rebe1; 06-26-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: PCNA CANCELS ALL WARRANTIES ON US IMPORTS EFFECTIVE JULY 1 and IT'S RETROACTIVE