PCNA CANCELS ALL WARRANTIES ON US IMPORTS EFFECTIVE JULY 1 and IT'S RETROACTIVE

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

^^^
Rebe1,
Yes, that pretty much sums up the conversation i had with PCNA too. Thanks for following up. BTW: congrats on your purchase; what are you getting?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an update for everybody...........

Just finished talking to someone here in Canada who'd know..........but will protect my source. PCNA is irrelevent in this issue as it stands today, and you all should know that. I believe from my information that it is the Canadian dealers getting together on their own and making the policy.

Effective JULY 1 there will be no warranty of any kind on any US cars in Canada, regardless if they were purchased before or after that date. End of story.

The dealer will repair your car and you will have to pay the bill.....then it is up to you if the selling dealer of the car in the US will even entertain a request for reimbursement from you to be submitted to PCNA. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE A TOURIST WITH LEGITIMATE DOCUMENTATION, then you are OK.

There will be posters in all the dealership sales and service department windows reflecting this change in policy as well.

On an interesting note, there will be no requirement for a compliance letter from PCNA on US imports however...........

There have been something like 800 new cars imported since January and the dealers have just had enough.

Anyone want to place a bet I am wrong ? I'll give you 100-1 odds.......and a minimum of a $500 stake. You can call PCNA all you want and complain, but it's not going to do any good from what I have been told.

And.....FWIW.....I do not agree with this policy.....I am just passing on information.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, so I will take bets on how long it will be before a class action lawsuit.

I am no lawyer, but changing the warrenty behind the customer's back seems like grounds for a lawsuit. I can totally understand this if it only applied to cars that are imported to Canada on or after July 1st, but retroactive is total BS.

At least I can still import my 02/03 996, which will be out of warrenty by the time I get around to buying it, and still save some cash
Old 06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

hoffa.........

FWIW.....Toyota lost a class action suit in the US about 4-5 years ago for the same thing when Canadian cars were going across the border to the US.....and had to pay $40MM USD......it takes years to get one to the trial stage however......and here in Canada they are very difficult, expensive and almost impossible to arrange......

I hear yah bro......but I am sure that the dealers have done their homework on all the angles as well.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is possible that they figure that the profit they will generate by "forcing" people to buy local may be greater than the cash outlay they would have to pay in the event that they lost the lawsuit stripping current owners of their warrenty. It's just math

We'll see what happens in the next few months I guess.

I'm still happy that I'll be able to bring in an out of warrenty car without too many issues (still crossing fingers!!!!).

Last edited by hoffa; 06-21-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rob993
Harley Davidson adjusted for the currency, and yes some of the owners of HDs who bought a few years back were a little upset that 3 years later, the bikes are cheaper. But you know what, no one really cared that much and HDs became more affordable, more bikes, service and sales.
Porsche just might find out the same thing. Remember when the 993's came out. They were cheaper than the 964's they replaced. Nobody had a hissy fit then either.

Rob
Apple just dropped all their prices $30 for iPods, and I'm one who bought mine in october for the extra $30 - I don't care.
Porsche is being goofy on this.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM
rebe1
Racer

Thanks, its a CPO'd 2005 997S. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by pongobaz
^^^
Rebe1,
Yes, that pretty much sums up the conversation i had with PCNA too. Thanks for following up. BTW: congrats on your purchase; what are you getting?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 AM
rebe1
Racer

New cars? I cannot find one dealer in the US that would sell me a new one. I guess its through other car dealers set up to export the cars here. Anyways, no big deal, can always just drive to the States if its big. PCNA also says it has no problems whatsoever honouring any warranty claims should the Canadian dealers make us pay first. So whatever.

Originally Posted by YYC930
There have been something like 800 new cars imported since January and the dealers have just had enough.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:20 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rebe1
Thanks, its a CPO'd 2005 997S. Can't wait!
Nice! I look forward to the pics. If your based in the GTA, you should plan on showing her off at the next get together.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
rebe1
Racer

Also, PCNA Porche said they heard the rumours, and they spoke with the Regional Rep for Canada, and he said it wasn't true as well. He did say that these rumours are causing a lot of problems in terms of people phoning in to inquire about this. Plus he kept on emphasizing that it is a NORTH AMERICA wide warranty.

And even if you have to get reimbursed from PCNA, your US dealer, or if you want to get your car serviced in US, he said that would be no problem at all, the car car being exported or not.

Last edited by rebe1; 06-22-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
rebe1
Racer

Pics will come soon, hopefully.

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Nice! I look forward to the pics. If your based in the GTA, you should plan on showing her off at the next get together.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebe1
Also, PCNA Porche said they heard the rumours, and they spoke with the Regional Rep for Canada, and he said it wasn't true as well. He did say that these rumours are causing a lot of problems in terms of people phoning in to inquire about this. Plus he kept on emphasizing that it is a NORTH AMERICA wide warranty.

And even if you have to get reimbursed from PCNA, your US dealer, or if you want to get your car serviced in US, he said that would be no problem at all, the car car being exported or not.
Well there are over 1400 views on this thread....
Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

And I hope over 1,400 phone calls to PCNA as well...............!!

FWIW.........PCNA buys their cars from PAG without warranty coverage included in the price and "self-administers" the warranties thru profits from the markup and resale to dealer here. They also sell the cars to Porsche Cars Canada Limited for resale thru the dealer network on our side of the border. So it is not a worldwide warranty as some have stated, nor can it be a North American warranty, should PCNA decide to change their warranty books and policies. As I have just found out, it is the dealers doing it on their own apparently as a group.....so.....IF ONE OF THE MODS WOULD CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED........

Rebel1 did say something however that only confirms what I know is going to happen. If PCNA said they will honor claims from Canadian customer's submitted thru US dealer's who paid service invoices for what should have been warranty work, or getting your car serviced in the US..........then it only verifies the story.

Why can't PCNA and PAG merely hedge their FOREX like every other car manufacturer in the world and rationalize their options and pricing ? Seems like "SOMEONE" at corporate HQ had their head you know where and blinders on. I am a small dealer who does $5MM a year in business and "I" pay attention to FOREX....why can't they ?

I hope PCNA is reading this thread.......I used to manage a Porsche dealer for 3 years back when we communicated directly with PAG and didn't deal with PCNA.......life was good "then"......

Last edited by YYC930; 06-22-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
rebe1
Racer

Hopefully

BTW, don't know how that last part verifies the story, as I asked specifically about that. I asked them if the Canadian dealers somehow do this (without support from PCNA ofcourse) and make us pay for warranty work, will it be easy to get reimbursements from PCNA, via the dealer we purchased from, or by going to a dealer in the US. So he just answered my question, not offering that up as what they plan to do in response to this, because to them and the Porsche Canadian Rep, this is a pure rumour, but one that has a lot of customers calling in to inquire about.

Originally Posted by YYC930
And I hope over 1,400 phone calls to PCNA as well...............!!

Rebel1 did say something however that only confirms what I know is going to happen. If PCNA said they will honor claims from Canadian customer's submitted thru US dealer's who paid service invoices for what should have been warranty work, or getting your car serviced in the US..........then it only verifies the story.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Thanks for digging into this Rebel and sharing what you have learned with us. Frankly, I'm puzzled by all of this and find it hard to believe it is anything but fear mongering by the Canadian dealers in an attempt to get PCNA to do something about this situation...and for the record, I can sympathize with them being upset by the exchange dilemna as I have a number of friends who are dealer principals for other brands and they are PO'd at their HQ's also. In fact, one of them threatened their HQ with refusing to honour warranty work on US delivered cars and they told him in no uncertain terms that he should read his franchise agreement before taking any action as he would be in jeopardy of losing his dealership. If Porsche Canada buys their cars from PCNA as YYC930 stated, then wouldn't their franchise agreements also be with PCNA? And, if so, wouldn't PCNA be in the same position to yank their franchise rights?

I guess what I find most frustrating is that this issue is something that really needs to be dealt with by PCNA given that most see the Canadian dollar increasing over the coming months. To allow this to continue to fester is just plain bad business.

Quick Reply: PCNA CANCELS ALL WARRANTIES ON US IMPORTS EFFECTIVE JULY 1 and IT'S RETROACTIVE