Notices

PCNA CANCELS ALL WARRANTIES ON US IMPORTS EFFECTIVE JULY 1 and IT'S RETROACTIVE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments...........that is why I made sure that I repeated myself about this information being anecdotal, even thought it was quasi first hand.

Time will tell......good thing my last US car in the stream (a 993) crossed over the border today.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:46 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

YYC930- I just received word from a friend in the business verifying your initial statement. No compliance letters, no warranty support, etc.

Should be fun times in the next few weeks for some folks.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:07 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So when do you guys think there will be an official statement from PCNA? (if the rumor is true)
Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

At or around July 1st I'd think.............
Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

I would be surprised if they "announce " anything. Usually big companies just slip in bad news and it slowly becomes part of their S.O.P.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

It seems like they're informing dealers, etc., about this, and it probably won't be announced except to the individual that calls up for the letter of compliance, or tries to get some warranty work done.

"Sorry, we can't cover that for you any more".
Old 06-19-2006, 12:28 PM
infinii
Instructor

Big article on this topic in the Wheels section of Saturday star

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048871196
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 AM
rebe1
Racer

I put a deposit down, and purchasing my CPO'd Porsched on Friday, June 30th, and having it cross the border (exported/imported) on July 3rd. Are they going to reference the purchase date of the vehicle or the import date?

Man, why now

Originally Posted by YYC930
All I can say is that my dealer contact was told this on Friday by the PCNA field rep who was in town for a visit, and the reason I was contacted was to make sure that I was aware of it, I guess so that I did not have any cars that were going to come across after July 1st without knowing what is up.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

If you are buying it from a dealer i would certainly be on the phone with them and get it in writing that they ( Porsche ) will support you or the deal is off...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
rebe1
Racer

I am buying it from a dealer, but I wonder if anything they have in writing be accepted here in Canada. Anyways, will phone them and see.

Originally Posted by theiceman
If you are buying it from a dealer i would certainly be on the phone with them and get it in writing that they ( Porsche ) will support you or the deal is off...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 AM
rebe1
Racer

Anyone get a clarification as to whether they are CANCELLING all warranties on US imports that were ever imported, or are they not supporting future imports which have an import date (or purchase date?) after July 1st?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by YYC930
I just got off the phone with my dealer and had the following
rumor verified.....it'll be in writing in a day or two.

Effective JULY 1st any and all Porsche products imported to Canada will NO LONGER have ANY WARRANTY coverage whatsoever in Canada.

If an owner wants to pay for repairs themselves they are welcome to do so and "ATTEMPT" to get reimbursement from their selling dealer in the USA...........and said selling dealer is under NO OBLIGATION whatsoever to proceed with nor provide any reimbursement in any way shape or form.

Furthermore, US dealers will not be permitted to sell to Canadian clients and anyone trying after the fact to import a US car to Canada will now be required to also obtain a "COMPLIANCE LETTER" from PCNA.....to be issued at "their" discretion and "your" expense if they even bother replying to you. And if any of you have ever had any experience with FNA or Lambo USA regarding import questions and compliance letters, you'll know what I mean...........

I guess that answers the question as to what Porsche was going to do about the FOREX problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

No one has heard anything official yet.........it's still all first hand and anecdotal.........but.......my local dealer is telling people who want DRL's hooked up, etc, that they can't do anything until after July..........I don't really know what that means, maybe they are just booked ahead 2 weeks.......

I have a couple of clients who imported US cars on their own recently and are now aware of this development. They have said that they are going to schedule warranty work after July 1 and see what happens.

Last edited by YYC930; 06-20-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:02 PM
rebe1
Racer

Dealer in the States said that he hasn't heard anything of the sort, plus he placed a call down to Atlanta HQ and they say that both original and factory warranty is honoured US and Canada. He said that it would/should be illegal if its retroactive.

BUT, called my local dealer's service dept. here and the guy says he's heard rumours from dealers, upper managements, owners about it, but doesn't know much more. No idea whether its retroactive or not.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 AM
rebe1
Racer

Also, the 2006 Certified Pre-Owned Warranty booklet specifically states that it is honoured in Canada, as long as the car was sold by an authorized dealer in US or Canada. Also, the normal car warranty states that warranty work can be done in any Porsche dealership worldwide, but based on their new car warranty coverages and limits (which is the same as US).

Now, they may be able to put an amendment on purchases going forward, but I do not see how they can even try to take warranty coverage away from people who already purchased the car under an existing agreement.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
rebe1
Racer

Okay, I called 1-800-Porsche, and they confirmed that that both the new car and CPO warranty will be in effect for US & Canada via PCNA. They have heard rumours from the Canadian side, but said that its just the dealers suggesting this because of the lost sales to the US dealers. I'm guessing the main thing that the Canadian side should look to get stopped (well, if I were them) are the vehicles that just have delivery miles (i.e. < 100 miles) and are already being CPO'd and sold as a pre-owned. They also said that they cannot go back and change what's on the purchase agreement as well.

Quick Reply: PCNA CANCELS ALL WARRANTIES ON US IMPORTS EFFECTIVE JULY 1 and IT'S RETROACTIVE