Notices

Cross boarder shipping, What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Sharp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cross boarder shipping, What are my options?

Hey guys, it's been a while, i know that this has previously been discussed, i just wanted to get some clear cut options where i'm not going to get bent over. I just purchase a set of rims and tires for my Targa from a private sale in the US and want to know what to tell the guy as far as shipping is concerned...
I know not to go with USPS, or FedEx as brokerage and duties are crazy, the seller suggested Freight Carrier, i have no idea what that is, can some one fill me in?

Finally what do i get him to mark the package as and what value should we state(used auto parts??)? is there a value below which you don't get charged duties or brokerage? I'm still wanting some sort of insurance in the case that they get damaged or "lost".
Thanks
help is appreciated!
Shalil.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:12 AM
skruggs964
Pro

I bought used Boxster rims/tires off of eBay last Fall, and I got hosed by FedEx. The shipping charge itself wasn't so bad, but it was the bill I received a week afterwards for their brokerage fee that really got me. With duty/taxes, shipping, and their gouge...err, I mean brokerage fee, it was about $340 to get them from New York to Calgary.

I found out later that UPS is even worse! I bought $80 Cdn worth of oil filters on eBay, and the bastards dinged me $20 for shipping/duty and another $37 for their fricken brokerage fee. After all was said and done, I could have bought those same oil filters cheaper here!

Whenever possible, always go with USPS...their brokerage fee is way cheaper. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do something as big as rims though.

As for the declaration....my past experience is that when you put insurance on it, they use that value to figure out the duty/tax and brokerage fees. I've had the other party in the US send the item as a "used car part" and as a "gift" but it seems to be hit and miss....sometimes I have to pay those fees, and other times I don't.

The one that really got me going is the 964 side mirrors I recently bought on eBay from the US, and the dumbass declares the value as quadruple what I actually paid. (what the hell??! Either he was stupid, or he was mad because he thought I got a good deal) So of course, I was forced to fork over more dough when I picked them up. I was a little pissed...but what are ya gonna do?

Anyway.....good luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As said previously, it's a "hit and miss". But I also found out on several occasions that regular mail (USPS) is the best way to avoid duty/taxes and Customs brokerage fees, most of the times. Not sure of the rims & tires would be suitable for mail, but who knows.
As far as freight carriers are concerned, it will be worse: the Customs brokerage fee at the border will be higher and for sure Duty/Taxes will apply.
As far as the declared value is concerned, it's a catch 22 situation: UPS, Fedex, USPS, most freight carriers,... will not allow you to declare 2 values (value for insurance purposes and value for Customs clearance purposes). Therefore, you will have to make a choice between paying higher Duty & Taxes but have insurance for the actual value OR paying less Duty & Taxes but get less money in case the cargo is lost.
Good luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Fedex is waayyy better than UPS....I use FEDEX all the time......absolutely despise UPS......

I don't mind paying Fedex charges....why ? Because they have NEVER, EVER screwed up one of my shipments......that's why. They are the best....and the best costs money.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

UPS sucks big time and I told them last week when he showed up at my door.

Two weeks ago I purchased in the same evening from 3 diff shops.

- Rennline: pedal set + dead pedal = 185$.... UPS charged 23.01$ broker fees
- Zims Autotechnik: hood shocks + clear turn signals = 96$.....UPS charged 46$ broker fees
- Rennspeed: RS front lip spoiler = 250 (shipping incl)....... Fed Ex charged 25$ broker fees

Its all how they file the paper work but in general, Fed Ex is alot better.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Gee I live an hour from the US border ..there is money to be made going and picking up stuff from Buffalo and shiping it to you guys from Cambridge ... hmmmm..... anyway I feel for you guys as I got shafted a few times too. Now I just drive over and pick up the stuff. taxes only, and that is 15 % on what I payed. cheap.. I suggest anyone living close to the border do this , it is easier than people imagine.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by YYC930
Fedex is waayyy better than UPS....I use FEDEX all the time......absolutely despise UPS......

I don't mind paying Fedex charges....why ? Because they have NEVER, EVER screwed up one of my shipments......that's why. They are the best....and the best costs money.
I ship alot to Toronto. And I learned the hard way 3 years ago with UPS. They SUCK !!!!! Fedex is the ONLY way.

Theo
Old 05-20-2006, 10:51 AM
gney996
Instructor

Only deal with supplier that are willing to mark down the declared value.You could also clear the item yourself if you have the time.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Sharp
Instructor

Thanks guys, ya, I have had many items shipped before but have had no consistent results, hence the question.... I’m going to see if he can send them Via USPS, not sure though since they have item size and weight regulations.... do you think i should still go with them if each wheel/tire needs to be sent as an individual item?? or is that a bad idea because I’ll quadruple my chances of the items being lost and have 4X the brokerage and duties??

he has given me a reasonable FedEx quote of $250 shipping from California, and they are used wheels and tires, from a private sale. I think I will play it safe and insure them for the exact amount that i purchased them for, I have no idea what kind of duties and brokerage I’ll pay on $3000US worth of wheels and tires though!!
Shalil
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

You seem worried about consistency and will the thing actually get back undamaged and on time.......so let's say that you save $100 on shipping by going with someone else (and as I've shipped wheels a lot........that is the most you'll save) and it arrived late, or you endured grief waiting and "maybe" something is damaged or lost.........was it worth it for 3% of the cost of the wheels ?

FEDEX it man......you'll sleep at night.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I do it is when I order some parts from US I get the bill made out to a company name and UPS will phone me when it arrives at their Vancouver Depot and ask who I want to use for a broker and I tell them I will brokage it myself . All I need to do is go to the UPs and pick up the waiver papers drive a couple blocks to the Canadian custom and clear the paper work and drive back to UPS Depot and pick up the parcel . No brokage fees for this guy Just make sure you use a company name on order slip .

Quick Reply: Cross boarder shipping, What are my options?