Notices

Question for those who imported a car from the US...PLS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for those who imported a car from the US...PLS HELP

I have been reviewing the procedures for exporting out of the US and can't find the answer to the below question (tried US customs but they are off Sunday and Monday for the US holiday)..

Do you need to fax in a copy of the Bill of Sale 72 hours prior to crossing? I know that this is required for the Title but what about the bill of sale???? It only refers to the "required documents" on the US customs website...

Anybody know??
Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

I did this in September and, unfortunately, can't remember. Why not just fax both?

Very important that you follow up with a phone call to ensure they have received it.

Good luck!!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamie022
I did this in September and, unfortunately, can't remember. Why not just fax both?

Very important that you follow up with a phone call to ensure they have received it.

Good luck!!
The problem is that I have neither. The current owner of the car has agreed to fax the title in for me but until I have paid for the car (which I don't want to do until I see the car in front of me) I won't have a bill of sale.......

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I imported my car last August, the owner had to send the original title to customs. I'm quite sure that a copy was not good enough. Customs did not require a bill of sale, but the previous owner sent one anyway. The problem, of course with this, is the car had to be paid for before the title was signed off and sent to customs. I can't imagine anyone sending the title without receiving payment first.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Ok thanks Don. It appears for some a copy works fine but I have heard that other customs officials require the original title.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by force4rmr
When I imported my car last August, the owner had to send the original title to customs. I'm quite sure that a copy was not good enough. Customs did not require a bill of sale, but the previous owner sent one anyway. The problem, of course with this, is the car had to be paid for before the title was signed off and sent to customs. I can't imagine anyone sending the title without receiving payment first.

This has got me thinking..... If US customs accept a copy of the title to be faxed to them does it have to have my name on it as the owner?? This would be so much easier if it weren't a holiday in the US today. Can't seem to get anyone on the phone...
Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I imported my car, I faxed both to US Customs 72 hours before. However, when I got there, they were closed (we had a minor mechanical problem which delayed us). We crossed at about 3am.

The CDN Customs guys didn't seem to care one way or the other.

At the end of the day, we never did stop and talkd to US Customs... just faxed in the info.

Not saying this is ideal, or will work for you, but it did for us.

...jeff
Old 02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A copy of the title is to be faxed 72 hours prior to the car arriving at the border - this allows them to do the necessary stolen vehicle checks etc.
The original title must travel with the vehicle.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Thanks guys. Why can't there just be more 911's in Canada. I am already losing patience with this process and it is just beginning...
Old 02-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tango Foxtrot
Thanks guys. Why can't there just be more 911's in Canada. I am already losing patience with this process and it is just beginning...
Where are you and what car are you looking for?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alon
Where are you and what car are you looking for?
Hi Alon,

I have enjoyed your articles in Total 911, keep up the great job! I am looking for a 78-89 911 coupe. I haven't seen much in Canada so I am close to closing a deal on a car in Seattle. Do you know of any coupes in Canada? I am in Saskatoon but have been looking all over.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Hey, someone who reads my work, thanks for the kind words. I've actually fallen way behind my writing for them due to several factors at home that have kept me very busy. My mother has been very ill and I'm afraid that it's turned terminal so we are doing our best to spend as much time with her and keep her comfortable, my wife is pregnant with our first and it's twins, due in August and I've been super busy with work. Look for future updates and articles based on a summer road trip to Manitoulin Island (www.manitoulin.ca), an article on a friend's car, a very special 1972 Porsche 911 S/T and a detailed installation of my soon to be new suspension setup for my 993. Any how, enough about me. As for finding a 911 coupe in Canada, they are out there but becomming harder to find, especially if you are particular about colours and model years. By far, the hardest of the bunch you're looking for a 1987 through 1989 coupes because people feel that they have to have the G50 gearbox cars. I find ti amazing how everyone thinks that they must have this G50 because anything short of it pails in comparison. There is nothing wrong with a well set up 915 box. Afterall, every article you'll ever read about the 1973 Carerra RS never complains about the 915 gearbox it has. Ok, you want A 1978- 1989 COUPE? my suggestion would be to look for a 1984-1989 coupe since the were vastly improved over the 1978-1983 911SC. The SC had CIS injection, less HP and is not as tune-able as a 3.2 MFI car. Your best bargains are going to be the 1984-1986 with the 915 box. There are some for sale locally to me and if you check www.trader.ca and see one here in Toronto, shoot me an email and I'll be happy to check it out for you. I can't blame you for looking in the US since there are so many more to choose from but I hope that a local car with local history would be worth slightly more to most people. I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has or knows of one for sale and post here again. Do a search on all the Rennlist forums because there are a huge number of guys who have imported cars from the US (and why not look in Europe?) and check www.riv.ca for additional help/information. Another good source although a bit far from you is www.par-cars.com and they're in upstate New York. Hey, buy one, have it shiopped tio me and drive it home from here in the spring

Let me know if any of these are of interest to you:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....ategory=&CAT=1

http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=4455

Last edited by Alon; 02-21-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Hi Alon,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of your mother it must be difficult time for everyone. My wife and I are also expecting our first, but twins WOW!!!!! That will keep you busy!

I have been looking in canada for the past year for the right car and haven't seem to come across it. As I said earlier I am near closing a deal on a US car. In fact I have a flight booked to Seattle on Thursday to view the car in person then buy if all goes well. It's a 1985 911 from its original owner, a nice retired fellow that is buying a 997.
Take care
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Hey, congrats to you and your wife. Tell me more about this 1985. it sounds very promising indeed since it's an original owner car...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Silver on Black- tourist delivery, lots of miles but full engine rebuild, tranny work, and clutch 40,000 miles ago. Sport seats, all records, all original. Original owner had his own shop prior to retiring. Will probably need suspension work soon and a fender repainted due to the clear coat peeling near the fuel cap.

Quick Reply: Question for those who imported a car from the US...PLS HELP