KARFIESTA Track Days 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KARFIESTA Track Days 2006

We will be organizing at least two track days this year for customers and fellow enthusiasts.

What i'd like to know from you guys to help with the planning is:

1)Which tracks you prefer? Cayuga (pending confirmation of their circuit), Shanonville (Fabi, Nelson or Full) or the new Dunville Autodrome.

2)Would you guys have a problem running with other non-porsche makes (Mazda, Nissan, BMW etc)? Grouping will be determined based on total number of cars.

3) What day do you prefer, a saturday or a sunday?

Any other suggestions will be more than welcome.

We will also have a small mobile shop available so you can check out new products, top off vital fluids and replace worn out parts just in case it becomes necessary.

I'm also looking into having a trackside BBQ setup, because even superhuman track-nuts get hungry too
Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Track - Mosport is the best around. But not for the faint of heart and also more expensive. I would take Shannonville (full track only) over Dunville, but it's further to drive for me (and more if you live west of TO) and marginally more expensive. Dunville is ok for a fun day out and particularly good for novices.

Car types - no problem for me. But you need to have the cars organized not by make but by driver experience. Have at least 2 groups. Experienced, less experienced; beginner, expert; whatever. Keep the guys on their first day out away from those who know the track and their cars well and who don't want those other guys in their way.

Day - Sunday is usually best for most from what i've found in organizing these things.

You didn't ask about cost....here's what I would pay for a day of open-lapping (not PCA-style 4-20 minute sessions and then sit on your butt the rest of the day):

Dunnville - $150-175
SV full - $175-225
Mosport - $300-400 (depends on the number of cars)

Some people may want instructors. Don't charge everybody for them. Just those that want/need them.

OK, that was more than 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

How would one go about obtaining instructors? Call PCA or CASC and see if there is anyone available? I hadn't really planned on bringing instructors down, so the cost of the track day (to be determined) will be for a full day of lapping.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:29 PM
LastGT3
Racer

I would take a look at hpow the other groups run things to get a better idea of how some of the more successful tracj days are run.
I suggest from my own experience:www.dexterautosport.com and www.trackmasters.com

They all offer and sometime REquire instruction for novice or anyone whom they have not at least run in their events before and they have no refernces as to ability and more importantly, attitude.

As for tracks - its mosport (1), shannonville (2) full Pro track and if you could Tremblant.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
How would one go about obtaining instructors? Call PCA or CASC and see if there is anyone available? I hadn't really planned on bringing instructors down, so the cost of the track day (to be determined) will be for a full day of lapping.
I'd contact John Mahler and/or Malcolm Elston. They are both qualified instructors that used to run the Driver for a Day schools. I'll try to find you their numbers.

Dexter has a few good "hired guns" available too, including Pierre Savoy, who runs the BMW training program and who also taught Villeneuve (JR) a few things (back when he had no attitude). I went out with Pierre at Mosport and he drove my GT3 scary fast.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:47 PM
mdex
Racer

If you have no experience running a track day, why not just reserve a block of spots at an existing day, or hire one of the groups to run a day on your behalf?

It may cost a little more, but the reduction in hassle and liability is worth a lot.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ that's also an option. Can you think of some well organized groups off the top of your head, all the groups i know are pretty open and self regulated really: there's a flag man at the pit in/out to control traffic flow, and appart from that, you go on whenever you want and come off whenever you want type of thing.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
webbie
Pro

http://www.mosport.com/roadhome.htm

not too many days left

Quick Reply: KARFIESTA Track Days 2006