Notices

Import Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:36 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Import Inspection

I recenty (3 weeks ago) imported a 98 993 C2S into Canada. I just received my form 2 from the RIV office yesterday and one of the modifications is a child seat anchor.

According to the manual, the Canadian version has achor bolts located just above the rear seat backs. My car has nothing. I removed some trim pieces to see if they were merely covered over but found nothing.

All other mods have been made and I was curious to know if any other Canadian Rennlisters have run into the same situation and how they got around it. My local inspector is a bit of a stickler.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called RIV a bunch of times. They said that all I needed for my 98 C2S was to have the bolt and attachment in the car. I didn't have to screw it in. I can't remember but I think that I got the person at Canadian Tire to call them.

You can go to any Canadian Tire so maybe you should go to another one. The person might be less ****.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The anchor bolts (hole for the bolts) are present underneath the leather cover. If you have to show them you have to take all the triming off. (not too hard a few screws - I took mine off once to look at my seat belt mechanism which was occasionally sticking) There is a bar that goes across that has the welded in anchor nuts. To be able to use them, you have to cut a hole in the leather. I suspect that if you show them the welded in achor nuts they would be happy and you wouldn't have to cut the uphostery. Mines from the US as well but had a dealer do the importing and inspection at a Canadian Tire and wasn't a issue.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks...

I removed the trim piece beind the seats and could see what you described - two screws.
I ordered an teather strap and a bolt from the VW dealer and I'll keep this in the car. Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks for the help.
Bob
Old 11-13-2005, 03:15 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my bolt and tether at Canadian Tire. I think it was $6 or $7.

A complete joke if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Import Inspection