Notices

Anyone in Victoria know how to do a valve adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 PM
ThePointman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in Victoria know how to do a valve adjustment?

I would like to do my first valve adjustment on my new Carrera but was wondering if anyone that has done it before on their own car had time to assit. I am worried about doing it wong as tight valve = burnt valve. Anyone interested in helping out? I live in Colwood outside of Victoria and would really appreciate the help
Old 11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, unfortunately I'm in Vancouver. I'd suggest you just jump in and do it. It's not that hard but there is a certain amount of 'feel' involved. Couple of things I ran into that was not in any of the DIY write-ups/bently manual that I found: couple of the studs that hold the valve cover on came off with the bolts - not big deal, lordco has lots of studs and are inexpensive. There is some finesse in getting the thickness guage in because it is blind - don't even attempt to do it without the appropriate/special gauge. You need to tilt the rocker arm (is that what it's called?) back and forth and you'll feel a little click creating the space for the thickness guage or else you won't be able to get the thickness guage in. And, need to recheck clearance after you've tightened things because it can change (tighter) when tightening. Great feeling / satisfaction once you're done.
Good luck
Ryojo

Quick Reply: Anyone in Victoria know how to do a valve adjustment?