Notices

Need Rennlisters opinion on a P-Car Aftermarket company in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow,

I'm amazed at some of the emotions expressed here.

Canadians are much like Americans in most ways. When we are looking to drop some coin on parts and stuff, we each have our own set of criteria. These likely include:

price (total, including shipping, customs, brokerage etc.)
availability
ease of purchase (on-line options etc.)
previous good service experience.

I have spent a fair amount of dollars on parts over the past year on my project. This includes significant amounts in both Canada and the U.S ($1500 alone at Pfaff, and for a 944 S, that's quite a bit). Any potential business has to be able to survive on its own competitive merits. "Sympathy" buying to support the "local guy" will not amount to much in the long run. However, I think it is true that many here would happily buy from a Canadian source that comes close to the total cost of the leading US alternatives. But the business has to be viable on its own merits and sending in a speculative $100 is not the way it is done in the real world. Nothing wrong with it though.

I really hope that Omar can develop a business model that will provide the basis for a sustainable enterprise that makes money. I think one important step you may want to do (if not already doing it) is to try to get some market research via. a survey that you maybe could distribute through here and Canadian PCA regions. You can use this to get an idea what people are looking for (models to serve, product lines to carry), purchasing styles (on-line, phone in, local), current preferred vendors (gives you good benchmarks), typical $ purchased per year, important service considerations etc. Once you start creating a survey, many other ideas for relevant questions may come up.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:10 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allan-

Excellent points, and well said.

I've already sent Omar the list of things that I want to work on over the next 4-6 months to give him an idea of what kind of items I'm looking for. Maybe this will help him formulate some ideas for inventory and/or distribution/resellor channels.

...jeff
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

jgrant's list was helpful, i'd like other members to submit things that they want, or know that other people want, or wouldnt mind to see.

also, stuff that you've already bought, preffered brands for consumables (i.e. BMC Air filters, Amsoil, Mobile 1 oils, Motul Brake fluid?)

this way i can see what seems to be the general theme and desire of the people. Also, brand suggestions help too, as brand name reputation seems to be a major factor in our choosing of parts, i don't want to stock unreputable or poor quality parts so reccomendations on that front would be great as well.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

I will put together a list of my preferences, buying habits and other thoughts, and send them to you in the next few days. I might also try to think up some other ways to get useful business intelligence.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

For a great,modestly priced hosting service that has some interesting extra value for a small online merchant, try www.sitesell.com. Another Canadian company BTW
Old 11-06-2005, 05:39 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Its a great idea, the only problem I see is, in the US there is a bigger demand for P car parts which means suppliers can get better rates on there parts and more parts per dollar since they are more available south of the boarder.
Personally I think Thats why places North of the boarder are usually more expnsive for those same aftermarket parts. (less demand = smaller inventory = higher prices)

It would be great though to offer a canadian alternative to having to go through the process necessary for ordering through the states..
It would be a good idea to cover the older version P cars as well since there is a bigger demand for aftermarket parts for the older cars.
best of luck if you got the right connections then your laughing..
Jeff P.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

rideau, thanks for that info, i've emailed SDI for more info.
its either between them or Yahoo! Merchant Hosting.

951TurboEuroSpec: valid points, demand is one thing, but an even bigger issue is the exchange rate. the wholesale rate is actually excellent rite now but visa/the banks dont give u that rate of course. the rate they give u is pretty ****ty and only gets better if ur changing like 20,000$US to canadian and vice versa. which is why i sometimes like 2 buy parts with funds from a US bank account. that way the price i see is he price i pay..1:1 ratio pretty much.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

another question: do you guys have a contact number for Porsche Motorsports NA or Porsche Driver's Selection departments?

navigating their website is giving me a headache.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:59 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omar

I realise the need to limit the scope & target a specific audience, but it might be wise to include some older 911 goods in your plans. I know of 20-30 cars 69-91 whose owners self-wrench to some degree in Southern Ontario. Brakes, filters, relays, & common rubber items are used by all of us. Pelican gets a lot of our business, but shipping costs are always a nasty addition. Most (note the most) parts are still 25 - 50% less than P dealer retail. However, Wayne's low-stock but quick parts sourcing model, combined with good pricing & forum support would be a tough act to beat. Warning: He has some change coming up shortly which seems to involve the East Coast, which might increase his success in Eastern Canada too.

Ian
Old 11-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ rest assured that consumable items (fluids, filters, pads) will be in stock or same day delivery for all porsche 911's and 944's.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hey guys..i'm having some trouble with porsche giving me the runaround on their OEM parts.

a number of PCNA people i've spoken two keep telling me that only porsche autorised dealers are allowed to distribute porsche parts and drivers selection items.

is there any way around this. anyone have a contact i can speak 2 over there?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:17 AM
porscheman1
Intermediate

I think this is a great idea. I'd love to see a good and reasonable place to purchase parts here in Canada. Good luckand let us know when you're up and running.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try to contact Gert at carnewal, their OEM parts are much lower than dealer.
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 AM
skruggs964
Pro

Count me in as a regular customer! I'm getting soooo tired of getting hosed with the customs brokerage fees...
Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

ok guys..i'm pretty much ready to go. My website is: www.karfiesta.com . Special discounted pricing will be available for rennlisters as well as group buys (requestable by any member). I'm still tweeking some elements of the site but its pretty much ready to go. consumable items i have yet to list, OEM items, please email me with the part numbers tat you need.

(sidenote: i have signed up for rennlist sponsorship so mods please don't delete this. Jen should have my sponsor page up on rennlist shortly, thanks for all your input guys, i look forward to dealing with all of you.)

Quick Reply: Need Rennlisters opinion on a P-Car Aftermarket company in Canada