Notices

Need Rennlisters opinion on a P-Car Aftermarket company in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:22 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea to open a shop/parts facility. Definately will be expensive right off the bat. Buying inventory, advertizing in publications, website etc .........

Now, originally being from T.O, I definately know the Porsche market well. Previously working for Pfaff and good old Ludwig Heimrath way back. During my 11 years here in Miami, I have been working a lot with Fiorano & G-tek. I am currently trying to finish some details with Courtney & Giovanni from Fiorano to settle on having parts in stock for you guys. I want to provide them all the support they need with the Manthey Racing products they would sell.

Theo
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Greek turbo racer: how's the market out west? (alberta, BC) and in Quebec?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

As with all of Canada, come winter time, all the toys go away and the Audi quattro's, Cayennes and all the rest of the 4X4's come out.

Ontario is definately the stronger of all provinces. Having Mosport & Shannonville to go and drive your car how it's suppost to is an obvious advantage. Mind you, Quebec from what I have seen has come closer to Ontarios numbers in reference to Tuning/Parts business.

Have not seen much out of the west coast or mid section of Canada. Again , weather and a lack of a motorsports facility does play a big role. And of course the car clubs like PCA help generate a percentage of business as well.

Theo
Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Heddok
Intermediate

DeAd-EyE
I'm new to porsche and also stuck out west in Edmonton. I'd love to have an on-line CANADIAN supplier for all sorts of goodies. The Porsche guys out here are fewer than T.O. but heavy into mods and aftermarket upgrades.
Personally I'm in the market for either PSS-9 or Cross coilovers for a 987S when available. Aftermarket quality wheels and R-compound tires would be nice as well as all the usual small items. E.G. I can't find a porsche oil filter wrench here at all! I'm not a business guy at all so not sure how the economics would be for you but people who buy these cars generally spend more on them thean any other make.
I'll always support a canadian business of any kind in preference to an american one. Just my two bits.
Brad
Old 10-21-2005, 09:31 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all you guys that think its a great idea...put up or shut up...send in your tentative order to dead eye with a 10% deposit. that should help him get rolling....i still believe canadians suck and dont support anything.....prove me wrong
Old 10-22-2005, 02:48 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
all you guys that think its a great idea...put up or shut up...send in your tentative order to dead eye with a 10% deposit. that should help him get rolling....i still believe canadians suck and dont support anything.....prove me wrong
Are you on glue? No catalog, no price list, etc., just "place and order and send in your money?"

That's got nothing to do with being Canadian... it's common sense.

If there were an offer of a product of some sort (Wevo shifter, poly-bronze bushings, Koklen IC, K27 HFS, etc), with a price, then I'd consider it.

As long as the price wasn't hugely different than comparable (US conversion, with shipping/duties, etc) then I'd be a customer.

Put up a web site with the pertinent info, and post that.

If it looks like you know what you're doing, and you're offering more than just Citizenship as a value proposition, then you'll do well.

Doesn't have to start big, either... look at how Pelican got started... a few pieces parts at a time out of Wayne's garage.

$0.02 (CDN)
Old 10-22-2005, 09:21 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

i like glue....love the wait and see attitudes

Last edited by NOBLEGT3; 10-22-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

NOBLEGT3: thanks a lot for your support.

EVERYONE who's replied so far:

i'm still working on this project, i'm contacting various suppliers and setting up accounts and whatnot. I have yet to make the website but when it does i will probably integrate online ordering capabilities. Please be patient as i'm trying to tie loose ends toghether. I'd rather open for business a bit later, with everything ready to go, then have you guys waiting for parts because i was disorganized or something got lost etc etc...

i'll update this thread with progress as it is made.

regards,
omar.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Cool... I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:30 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
NOBLEGT3: thanks a lot for your support.

EVERYONE who's replied so far:

i'm still working on this project, i'm contacting various suppliers and setting up accounts and whatnot. I have yet to make the website but when it does i will probably integrate online ordering capabilities. Please be patient as i'm trying to tie loose ends toghether. I'd rather open for business a bit later, with everything ready to go, then have you guys waiting for parts because i was disorganized or something got lost etc etc...

i'll update this thread with progress as it is made.

regards,
omar.
pm me your email address and i will send you 100 bucks for a gift certificate to your shop when it opens. i challenge others here to do the same . pretty cheap investment for all you people hoping to have a canadian distributor for parts
Old 10-23-2005, 12:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

Wow quite a few opinions there.

Noble GT sounds a little bitter, but give him his due he may have been burned at some point and seams to have something against Canadians .. oh well I digress.

More to the point.
I am 911 owner , and yes I was a 944 owner , does that make me cheap ? . I enjoy working on my car and doing research to get the right priced part of the right quality is part of the fun for me. I buy a lot of parts as this is my hobby and find Canadian prices to be ridiculously high.
I get all of my parts from US suppliers ( usually autohausaz.com , or stoodard for specialty items ) have them shipped to Buffalo and go over and pick them up . I live 40 minutes from there so it is no big deal. I usualy get them at half the price, i realize this is not an option for everyone. I would like to support some places in Canada but the prices just make it too difficult. I should emphasize I have a 78 911 so this was not your taget anyway. Oh one additional point. There is a guy who goes to the same mail outlet I do to get his stuff and every week he gets huge boxes delivered form Stoddard. Apparently he has a business, so there are other people doing it.
Why do I do what I do ?
1. I like developing relationships and dealing one on one, not just a number and the guys i deal with know me and understand my objectives, ( will not oversell me and ships my stuff knowing I am from canada )
2. Autohausaz has a great websight set up that is easy to use and very cool !
3. They allmost always have what I need.

So just a few points I thought you might consider from the avaerage guy.

Oh by the way Omar , if you do set up please carry some stuff that is hard to find locally, this could be key to your success. ie see my post on metric hardware, swepco, and I think amsoil comes up now and again .

Good luck
Old 10-23-2005, 01:18 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by theiceman
Wow quite a few opinions there.

Noble GT sounds a little bitter, but give him his due he may have been burned at some point and seams to have something against Canadians .. oh well I digress.

More to the point.
I am 911 owner , and yes I was a 944 owner , does that make me cheap ? . I enjoy working on my car and doing research to get the right priced part of the right quality is part of the fun for me. I buy a lot of parts as this is my hobby and find Canadian prices to be ridiculously high.
I get all of my parts from US suppliers ( usually autohausaz.com , or stoodard for specialty items ) have them shipped to Buffalo and go over and pick them up . I live 40 minutes from there so it is no big deal. I usualy get them at half the price, i realize this is not an option for everyone. I would like to support some places in Canada but the prices just make it too difficult. I should emphasize I have a 78 911 so this was not your taget anyway. Oh one additional point. There is a guy who goes to the same mail outlet I do to get his stuff and every week he gets huge boxes delivered form Stoddard. Apparently he has a business, so there are other people doing it.
Why do I do what I do ?
1. I like developing relationships and dealing one on one, not just a number and the guys i deal with know me and understand my objectives, ( will not oversell me and ships my stuff knowing I am from canada )
2. Autohausaz has a great websight set up that is easy to use and very cool !
3. They allmost always have what I need.

So just a few points I thought you might consider from the avaerage guy.

Oh by the way Omar , if you do set up please carry some stuff that is hard to find locally, this could be key to your success. ie see my post on metric hardware, swepco, and I think amsoil comes up now and again .

Good luck
yeah im bitter ...and you proved my point, buy from the US drive 40 minutes each way to get it and then tell omar to stock special stuff that is hard to find. sounds like you still wont buy from him. The canadian attitude, do everything i ask and i might buy from you.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

get out of it what you read into it I guess...
What more can I say ...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:32 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by theiceman
get out of it what you read into it I guess...
What more can I say ...
you can say " i would like to support a canadian trying a new venture and i will send in x dollars for a gift certicate as well to show my support and confidence in your new venture" or you can keep driving 40 minutes and buying from the US while hoping a local guy will stick his neck out and stock rare parts so you might buy them
Old 10-23-2005, 07:05 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

NobleGT3-

Like I mentioned before, I'll gladly do business with a CDN as long as that CDN business gives me some sort of value add. I'll even take a 15-20% hit on price to help support the "local" venture.

But to get down on us for not jumping out and giving the guy money when he has done nothing more than ask about our thoughts on a Canadian venture is nuts.

I do, in fact, support Canadian companies... both in Toronto and here in Vancouver. At the end of the day, though, I'm not going to pay twice what I have to on larger items, or wait an extra 2 months, just to support a CDN business.

As much as I like to support CDN business when I can, it is not my job to ensure that a CDN business is profitable and viable. It's the CDN business's job to ensure that it provides a service in such a manner that it entices my patronage... via cost, service, needs, etc.

Besides that, I don't even know the guy from a hole in the wall, so I'm not going to send him cash on a hope and a prayer that someday he'll be able to sell me something.

Tell you what, if you're so loose with your cash, I'm thinking about starting up an aftermarket parts/supply company here in Vancouver, so why don't you go ahead and send ME your cash? I'll be more than happy to send you a nice, shiny gift certificate, redeemable sometime in the future for some mystery item that I may or may not end up selling, at some unknown price.

At the end of the day, there are more ways to show support to a new venture than to just blindly (and foolishly) send them money on a "what if" pipe dream.

Now, if they were going to do a pre-sale for a group buy on something I need, I'd definitely consider it....

I'd even be more than happy to supply him with my "shopping wish list" so he can gather some market data on what may or may not sell for him...

Quick Reply: Need Rennlisters opinion on a P-Car Aftermarket company in Canada