Notices

OT: Tax rant

Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 PM
infinii
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Tax rant

I need to get this off my chest. I'm really disgusted at the level of taxation that we Canadians are subject to. Why are we required to pay tax on used vehicles when taxes have already been pay by the owner when it was new.

I mean, WTF?!?! If a vehicle is sold like 5 times over it's lifespan, the taxes alone could amount to the cost of the original car's cost. I don't see the validity of this. We pay for licencing and registration fees so where are those tax dollars going to?

The GST was supposed to be a temporary measure when it was first introduced. Why haven't we done anything to get rid of this tax?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taxes are NEVER temporary! They just seem to hang around.

Oh, in just in case this is a "Great White North" forum only!)....

"Like, Taxes are NEVER temporary! They just seem to hang around, eh?"

Jim 1987 944S (with brotherly sympathy for friends in the Canadas)
Old 08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Scholz996
Advanced

As a Chartered Accountant in Canada, I can certainly tell you that as Canadians were are certainly paying our fair share of taxes - there is doubt about that. Pst, Gst, Corporate taxes, Personal taxes, Propert Taxes, the new personal health tax premiums, registration fees, renewal fees, land transfer tax - and my personal favorite - taxes that are disquised to be some thing other than taxes like WSIB, EHT, employers portion of CPP and EI. We pay pay pay pay ..... and pay. Then there are the hidden monsters such as tobacco taxes, gasoline taxes, provincial entertainment tax (yup thats right - when you pay that $795.00 or what ever it is now for a movie ticket these days there is entertainment tax hidden in there)

But now rather than increasing taxes they are taking services away that used to be covered under the plans that are funded by our taxes - i.e. eye examinations. What out for this, this will be the new trend of taxation.

Tuitions are rising - public schools are tightening down, infrastructure is degrading, hospitals are understaffed and overworked - where in the hell is all the money going ??????

OH YEAH, I FORGOT - ITS GOING TO SPONSORSHIP SCANDALS!!
Old 08-10-2005, 02:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

We pay tax on the money we earn just to go and pay more tax when you spend it. Where the F is the money going to anyways. It sure insn't going towards improving the lives of Canadians. Weil actually it probably is, though only a hand full of Canadians but they are the ones that should be impaled on public flag poles.

Don't forget getting screwed on insurance that you cant really use unless its a total write off.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Scholz996
Advanced

On the topic of insurance .... why the hell am i paying liability for 4 cars when I can only drive 1 at any given time ???? Shouldn't we be paying for liability once and have it automatically transfer from car to car as we drive them. I think that is insane - who the hell invented this system - I was recently hit from the bcak from a guy who had no license and no insurance - I had to pay the deductible and I have to sue him for the $$$ back - GREAT!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Move to Alberta and help us seperate........my sister from Ottawa was just out here for two weeks and she brought their cargo van.....wonder why ? Shopping/holiday trip.....less tax...lower prices....

As long as ONT/QUE keeps voting in the LIBERALS......we are going to keep getting overtaxed.

Why do they call it the GST anyways ? Because GST means "Government Sex Tax".....everytime you pay it you have just been f_ _ _ _ _ d.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
As long as ONT/QUE keeps voting in the LIBERALS......we are going to keep getting overtaxed.
Don't worry! I don't think the Quebecois will be voting for the liberals this time.

And I sure hope Alberta doesn’t stir up trouble. Canada already has one problem province to take care of. Speaking of which, if you think taxes are bad in your neck of the woods, you should stay in Quebec for a bit.

GET ME OUT OF HERE!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

When I was on my way to pick up my car I looked over and saw a Toyota Echo . . .

I said to my buddies, "I could have bought one of those with the tax I'm paying today."
Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
turboGary
Racer

I talk about this stuff all the time with co-workers. It makes my blood boil. I also love the BS charges on our utilities. Have you looked at your hydro bill or gas bill lately? Friggin debt retirement charge! WTF is with that. I'll start a business and run it into debt and then charge my customers to get back out of debt and when I am, never lift the charges... oh, and charge them $10/month for the privelege to be my customer. Plus the service charges will amount to over double what you actually use. Cost of deliverly to us, cost of delivery to you bla bla bla... total horse****....
Old 08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
whall
Pro

Well, I work for the Government and I am telling you that we work hard to make sure that every cent of your tax dollars gets spent wisely. When I started working for the Government 32 years ago, I was issued a shovel and told to start digging. Well I worked dam hard and over the years, I worked my way up to Shovel Issuer. Now I am near retirement and have 6 shovel issuers working for me and I drive a Porsche. It's been a long hard road but I am telling you young people, if it werent for the hard working people like me in Government, you would pay more taxes and have less services.
Oh, also I was head of the Union the last couple years to make sure my brothers get enormous wages for using those shovels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Tax rant