Notices

Manitoulin anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manitoulin anyone?

I am planning a road trip to Manitoulin Island from Toronto for the end of July and was wondering two things:

1- Is anyone with a 911 (any year or variant) interested in joining (for a magazine article/story)?

2- Has anyone been and if yes, can you make any recommendations for the best way to drive there (not necessarily the shortest but rather the most interesting), where to stay (there seems to be a lot available) and what are the best road/scenery highlights that will make for good story content and photos?

Thanks fellow Canucks.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alon, good morning. I live at the base of the Bruce Peninsula approx 90 miles from Tobermory. The Ontario Northland marine company run a ferry service between Tobermory and Manitoulin Island. I went for a drive up there about three weeks ago and had a great time visiting the small hamlets on my way up and back down. Unknown places like Stokes Bay, Miller Lake, Lions Head which by the way has a wind turbine in operation. I know I am kind of biased towards this area but I had to move away to realize what the area has to offer and appreciate. I do however know the journey around Georgian Bay is also a nice picturesque trip. Either way, the trip will be enjoyable. Goodluck and have a great time..............Bill
Old 07-05-2005, 04:54 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I go up their to the family cottage all the time. I think the drive is great once you get past Barrie. I drive around past Sudbury. The drive from Esponola to Little Current is filled with nice twistie roads and beautiful scenery.
Their is a small town at the top of a mountain when you get past Esponala which you can drive up, I havn't done it yet but I've heard their is no guard rails but you can get some nice shots. Also near there are great spots for pictures of the twistie roads and mountains. A few times I have thought about stopping, letting the wife out to take some picture of me going through a really nice spot.

It's a 6 hour drive from Toronto, but I am sure you could stay off the 400 after Barrie and drive up the side roads though Bala, Lake Joeseph and then get back on around Parry Sound hwy 69

Then I would then take the ferry at South Baymouth across to Tobermory for the drive back.

I will more then likely be up in Manitoulin around the Jul 23 rd to August 3 rd. I plan on taking the C4S up, Usually we drive the Ranger Rover up there.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Awesome info guys, thanks so much. So the best thing is to drive to the northwest and enter the island over the bridge and then ferry home to Tobermory?

Excellent...
Old 07-05-2005, 07:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Yes, the swing bridge is at Little Current, which is a good place to stop at check out the Sail Boats and have lunch. The reason why I suggest doing it that way is that if you did the opposite. Your stuck in Parry Sound on the way back, then stuck again when you merge onto the 400 at Barrie, Then your stuck in traffic all through Barrie. It sucks when you want to get home. But If you take the way I first posted you really only have to deal with the Barrie Traffic on the way down and you will get a break while on the ferry on the way back. Then a nice county road drive back to Toronto.
Be sure to get to the ferry early (3-4 hours) otherwise you could end up waiting for the next one.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

The ferry is 3-4 hours long of a ride or 3-4 hours apart? I had no idea the ride was that long if that's what you're saying.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:54 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

The ferry is about a 1 1/2 hour ride but you need to get to the ferry and get in line 3-4 hours prior to it leaving port. Check out the departure shedule which I think you can find doing a yahoo.
The ferry is called Chi-Cheemaun
Old 07-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Hey Alon. Until last July, I owned the CT in Espanola. I've done the drive from the GTA to there so many times, I could do it in my sleep. My favourite training ride was from Espanola to the swing bridge and back. If you have any specific Q's that are not answered, give me a call.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

So it looks like I might be heading up to Manitoulin this coming weekend. If yes, I'm going to drive through Espanola and take the swing bridge across. I will be staying at a place called Gordons Lodge (unless anyone has any other recommendations) and then taking the ferry back (reserved seating now available on the ferry for the popular times) to come home on Monday.

Can anyone recommend good photo oppotunity spots on the island? Aside from usual propaganda on their website, is there any place that I should make sure to go to while I'm there?

Thanks again,
Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Well your getting a bit father then I usually go. That half of the island I don't know to well. But there are the dunes and the board walk to check at Providence bay, also I like to go and check out Carters bay and look at the lots on the big water.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Rolling south on 6, just past Whitefish Falls, do not miss turning left into Willisville. Drive a couple hundred metres, then park and look toward 6 south. Spectacular view.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

OK, it seems that I'll be postponing this trip for sometime in early to mid August. Thanks for all the feedback and I'll probably post again in th near future to see if any of the local Porsche owners want to join us for the trip and get their cars in a few shots for a magazine article. The story will be based on the trip experience and include many high quality photos of the car/cars and background.

Anyone interested?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I am interested
Old 07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Excellent Jumper. Do you have any August weekend preferences? It will most likely end up being a Friday morning until Sunday night or Saturday morning until Monday night adventure.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:49 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I prefer a Friday morn to Sun trip. I am pretty open as to what week-end

Quick Reply: Manitoulin anyone?