Notices

Worried about getting a ticket !

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:31 PM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My point is, instead of 100, if the limit goes up to 150 more of us won't pass that anyways. I rarely pass that on public roads in Canada and everytime less than a minute. I hate to see people getting tickets at 115km/h where as the regular traffic flows at 130km/h most of the time. Anyways, I enkoy that in Germany on the autobahn...
Old 04-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Rod.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On public roads, it doesn't how good a driver you are, you cannot count on the people you are sharing the road with to do as you think they should. Have a look at this story as a perfect example of why excess speed on public roads is not worth the risk:

<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,588-1006376,00.html>

Take it to the track.

YMMV,
Old 04-04-2005, 04:49 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you haven't read my message:
My point is, instead of 100, if the limit goes up to 150 more of us won't pass that anyways. I rarely pass that on public roads in Canada and everytime less than a minute. I hate to see people getting tickets at 115km/h where as the regular traffic flows at 130km/h most of the time. Anyways, I enkoy that in Germany on the autobahn...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
greyghost
Instructor

I dont knw about the rules up there but if you can get a Valentine One. It will keep your butt out of alot of trouble with the authorities.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Well its not like I get I chance to do 240 everyday. It just so happened there wasn't a soul on the road and I put no one in danger. It takes no skill to drive down a straight stretch of road that you drive everyday and keep you foot on the gas.
I am very cautios and usually only drive 10 - 30 km over the speed limit. I have never seen a porsche swerving though traffic driving like a mad man but I see BMW's doing 180 in a good flow of traffic doing it all the time usually followed up by some Honda. How am I giving porsche drivers a bad rap when there isn't anyone around to even see it being done.
Where I do agree that high speed driving and going through the twisties where you need the skill and experience should be left at the track. I still believe that using common sense and extreme speeding under certain circumstances can be done on public roads safely.

Last edited by jumper5836; 04-04-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

They will never bump up the speed limit.
I feel that 100 is to slow and actually causes more accidents then it prevents.
Actually 100 wasn't put in place to prevent accidents, it was so because of many reasons but the major reason was fuel consumption. Speed doesn't kill, stopping to fast kills.
They won't change the speed limit because there are a lot of people who are not even comfortable driving on the major highways let alone driving 100.
They also collect a large amount of revenue from speeding. As well the insurance companies benefit when drivers get speeding tickets.
Money makes the world turn so you won't ever see them increase the speed limit because it will dramatically decrease revenue.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Originally Posted by turboGary
To each his own but I do 240 everytime I get out. On the motorcycle I do 290+ lots. There's a place and time for it, you just have to use your judgement and it's all good. I take it to the track as well but speed anyway when the roads are clear.

TurboGary, although I admire your courage just be really careful. Won't take but a millescond to lose control at those speeds.............especially on a bike. Always be safe!

It's funny I drove in Italy this past summer in major towns like Rome and Napoli and then on the highways. I was always doing speeds of 150-180 km on the highways and it seemed comfortable and normal. I was driving a 6 cylinder diesel jaguar which didn't even come close to the handling performance of my Porscha'.That being said, however, I get really nervous driving on our highways when there is traffic around me. I can't explain it.............I just do. Most of the time I entertain myself by driving on paved country roads where there is no one around. I enjoy the view much better as well as the winding roads.

By the way, on a side note. is there any good reading material on the proper way of driving a Porsche. There was an post on the 997 forum about lateral movements with these cars which was mainly due to improper driving technique. Just curious?

Cheers and SAFE driving.

Quick Reply: Worried about getting a ticket !