Notices

New attempt at Canadian Auto Insurance for enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 02:48 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New attempt at Canadian Auto Insurance for enthusiasts

In case you haven't heard yet, please read the Canadian Press article posted on the front page of:

www.solocanada.ca

I'm constantly amazed how many people (at least in Ontario) don't read legal documents like the standard auto insurance policy and don't realize they no longer have insurance coverage (even if they keep paying premiums) if they modify their car and don't tell their insurance company, or go on a lapping day or autox or PCA DE and don't tell their insurance company, or ...

It may not be my preferred solution, but, AFAIK, this is the only solution that is even under consideration in Canada right now.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:23 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, theres some good info there.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
In case you haven't heard yet, please read the Canadian Press article posted on the front page of:

www.solocanada.ca

I'm constantly amazed how many people (at least in Ontario) don't read legal documents like the standard auto insurance policy and don't realize they no longer have insurance coverage (even if they keep paying premiums) if they modify their car and don't tell their insurance company, or go on a lapping day or autox or PCA DE and don't tell their insurance company, or ...

It may not be my preferred solution, but, AFAIK, this is the only solution that is even under consideration in Canada right now.
Thanks Craig. I guess that's why Jim didn't run the targa last year. That sux. For those of us with older cars, there is also classic car insurance such as Silver Wheels. You can modify your car and drive at the track, you just can't drive it to work
Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, BTDT. The current Silver Wheels policy (and Lant) has the same issue with events on closed circuits (or roads) as regular insurance. This may represent a change from their past practices. However, they do not care about modifications, as long as they are declared, AFAIK.

Jim decided he wasn't going to run Targa last year before all this started.

When are *you* going to run Targa ?!? :-)
Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
Sorry, BTDT. The current Silver Wheels policy (and Lant) has the same issue with events on closed circuits (or roads) as regular insurance. This may represent a change from their past practices. However, they do not care about modifications, as long as they are declared, AFAIK.

Jim decided he wasn't going to run Targa last year before all this started.

When are *you* going to run Targa ?!? :-)

That's interesting about Silver Wheels not covering closed circuit events. I know several guys in my region that use Silver Wheels to insure their track only cars. I wonder if it is a change from past practices and I wonder if they know about it.

There is also DE specific insurance through a company that David Empringham is associated with (I have more info at home). You just pick the numer of DE days you're going to do and the amount you want to insure the car for and pay the fee. Of course, they don't cover street use, so you'd have to get a street plan as well to allow you to drive your modified car to the track. Two insurance policies starts to get pricey. Since the only think that is stock on my car is the lights, I'm very interested in the insurance effort this guy is trying to put forward.

yeah, yeah, I know. Every year I say "next year I'm going to do the Targa".

Quick Reply: New attempt at Canadian Auto Insurance for enthusiasts