Notices

Just arrived in Canada / Ottawa region.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:21 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

Sorry, that is not the car. It is parked in a garage close to Bell's Corners. I am going to change the Waterpump/belts/seals in the spring and actually advertise it for sale. But if somebody is really keen I would be willing to work out a deal for it now...

-Patrick
Old 01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

Welcome to Ottawa. You won't see too many P-cars during the winter except for a few 996's. Our region is fairly active during the winter with an indoor karting series and monthly dinners. Come out and introduce yourself. Our region's web site is www.rennsport.ca. If you're a track guy, you're in luck. Within a five hour drive of Ottawa we have: Tremblant (2 hours), Mosport (3.5 hours), Shannonville (3 hours), Watkins Glen (5 hours) and soon to be opened Calabogie (45 min).

baldheadracing: welcome to rennlist
Old 01-11-2005, 11:28 PM
adie
Pro

What else do you need to know?, keep ALL of your reciepts pertaining to your move as the Customs/Tax will want to see them when it comes to assessing your return (they just did for me), remember the fine chocolate you used to have, well forget all that,your stuck with Hershey's now, you may have to take a suitcase just for confectionary. And when you replace your Porsche make sure you leave room in a case for service parts, there VERY expensive here, I actually paid somewhere near $300 for a set of BERU leads, a cap and rotor, unbelievable, and these cars are perfectly usable in the snow, I have an old 944 auto with all seasons on and it loves the white stuff, unfortunatly i also have a v8 one with dot race tyres on that is stuck on a minimal incline and 1 cm of snow, if Bill ever drives past he'll see the 944's outside, they look good each side of the house (the racer is parked in the garage, slicks don't stand a chance). If you havn't done so already always say that you have more stuff to bring over as this will allow you to ship stuff as personal goods and not pay import duty on them, are you staying long term, if so are you appling for landed status, from the UK it takes about 24 months at a cost of $1500 per person, at present customs are holding $5000 due to being unable to catergorize 2 of the cars (they are the biggest bunch of corupt a-holes on the planet, so I am waiting to have a spare $3000 to get our applications off, also I don't know if you have already swapped your driving license for a Canadian permit, if not apply for a new Belgium one and say you lost the other in the move, then swap your spare one in for the Canadian one, I just did the computer mutiple choice thing and the Highway test so i didn't have to worry about handing in my UK driving lisence. If you go this route make sure you go fast enough pulling onto the highway, I couldn't get the hire car past 95 and the tester wanted me to be doing between 100-110, however they could see that the car could not make the required speed so let me away with it.
Well done for making the move, it's not easy I know but I would never look back on doing it 18 months ago, indeed I sold my house withing 9 months of being here and brought the house only usually found in dreams and love every minute of it, the other bonus is it's now time to be playing on a snowmobile (which i do daily), come summer it's ATV time and race season, and then it's back to glorious snow.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey adie....My brothers fiancee moved over from GB with her two sons eight months ago and now they moved back to GB. It appears that it is easier for him(my brother) to get permits in England to work and such than it is for her to exist here. I know she had to pay big $$$ for the boys to attend school not to mention that their education was much further advanced. Just doesn't seem right.does it . Yep....look out for the TAXMAN........I'll have to look for those 944's.......Take care ..Bill
Old 01-12-2005, 09:31 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome, John!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:40 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salut...Bienvenue!
Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

baldheadracing: welcome to rennlist
Um, thanks . Been here since the beginning, though - my claim to fame on the Internet:

https://rennlist.com/press/5-25-98%2...orschelist.htm
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 PM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Default Lots of you out there !

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

I am happy to have your welcome notes and all the info you have all sent to me.

No doubt I will bump into most of you at some time, if not then happy rennlisting

Best regards,

John C.

PS: keep the posts coming, it gives me something to do until I start work.

PPS: What is that little dark brow tim bit left at the bottom of the bag until last, does anyone know the flavous as I am really not sure!!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pleasure was mine John....enjoy the season and goodluck.......Bill

Quick Reply: Just arrived in Canada / Ottawa region.