Notices

Importing a Car From the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:20 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... the only people that (were supposed to have) really cared were the BC inspection people, as the KPH is a requirement for the BC inspection. Older than 15 years, you're automatically passed the federal inspection.

That being said, they didn't even mention it.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:39 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Border patrol checked the VIN number when I crossed the border with my car. That's about it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:53 PM
rebe1
Racer

Thanks for the quick replies... I'm actually thinking of importing a car newer than 15 years old I just want to make sure that I have everything I need to get it up to spec. So far daytime running lights I can get by via the fusebox, and I can switch the digital speedometer to KMPH. Just have to find the car now Not much of a nice selection in Toronto

Thanks for the input everyone, guess I'll worry about the analogue speedometer during the 45 days to get the car up to spec.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:29 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is a 98. It has the "clock style" speedometer in miles per hour. When I called RIV, they said that it is OK as long as there are KPH readings, which there are (smaller, inner ring).

Canadian Tire does the inspection. They didn't say anything. Also, I don't think there was anything on the Form 1 that RIV sent which lists what has to be done.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM
rebe1
Racer

I have two questions:

1) Can I use the previous owner's plates to drive it back up, through the border, then ship him the plates back?

2) How can I find out what value my PST will be based on when I register my vehicle?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:43 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebe1
I have two questions:

1) Can I use the previous owner's plates to drive it back up, through the border, then ship him the plates back?
Insurance? Will your insurer give you a written OK that you will have coverage?

Originally Posted by rebe1
2) How can I find out what value my PST will be based on when I register my vehicle?
Don't know where you're from, but for Ontario, my understanding is that under the new regs, you won't have a figure until you get it appraised locally.

See UCR Post

Ian

Quick Reply: Importing a Car From the US