Notices

A caution video on the 992RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 08:17 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Please don't misunderstand my point.. But I never understood the appeal of these cars beyond the pure engineering exercise of it. Its basically a Cup Car with no safety equipment.

If you're a beginner, you are so far from the limit you are not going to accomplish anything in these cars. You will not learn. You don't need this car.

If you are an expert, you have no safety equipment and can kill yourself very easily. Or... Your sense of mortality will kick in and keep you from going anywhere near the limit. So, you don't need this car.

And if you're a collector, that's just wrong. Cars are meant to be driven.

So... I still don't get these cars... Flame away.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:56 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

#Off Topic
@RDMcG How does one insure a Canadian car to be driven in Europe?
Old 07-13-2024, 10:15 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 453 Posts

Your points are well taken and there is no question that nobody needs a car that is so compromised as a road car in the first place and requires a lot of expertise to find its limits.

However, I would say that every RS I have owned was capable of being more completely exploited in expert hands.

I had Sabine Schmitz give me a passenger lap in my 997.2RS years ago and it was a fascinating exercise to see how effortless the lap was in professional hands. So in terms of needs, you are of course right. However, there is also a matter of likes.

Decades ago prior to this stuff I had a long period of BMWs and my last car, an E63 M6 had pretty much stayed away from what had appealed to me in prior cars, so I moved to Porsche. This particular car is fairly extreme but I do not need to find its limits but to enjoy it on the track now and then. There is a lot of satisfaction knowing that it is capable of substantially more than I am likely to experience personally, but to be able to have some fun with it which for me is the prime objective.

I fully accept that for many there are more suitable cars for their needs and that this thing might be a bit of an outlier, but I enjoy driving it and will probably hang onto it for some years. I have zero interest in flipping or any of that activity. If I stuff the thing in a wall then it's my own fault and nobody made me do it.

There are many choices out there and I get it that this does not appeal to you. There are amazing cars out there and this is just one. I would never say " this is the best car" for instance. Just seems to me to be a well-engineered track car and I am very comfortable in the RS world personally.

Old 07-13-2024, 10:20 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
#Off Topic
@RDMcG How does one insure a Canadian car to be driven in Europe?

I do it through my broker here. You drive on your regular Canadian plates. Best to have an international driver's licence too. However, for track days you are SOL if you stuff the thing....such as this then new GT3 at Spa on my last track day there.

The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 10:53 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
I do it through my broker here. You drive on your regular Canadian plates.
funny to see…couple days ago saw a C8 Vette in Zurich with Florida plates.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:07 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Please don't misunderstand my point.. But I never understood the appeal of these cars beyond the pure engineering exercise of it. Its basically a Cup Car with no safety equipment.

If you're a beginner, you are so far from the limit you are not going to accomplish anything in these cars. You will not learn. You don't need this car.

If you are an expert, you have no safety equipment and can kill yourself very easily. Or... Your sense of mortality will kick in and keep you from going anywhere near the limit. So, you don't need this car.

Hi Peter:
I do think you miss the point here.
Some of us are quite happy to run at 80% of your capability, put a smile on our face, and steadily improve with instruction, likely never reaching your limits...
In a car that has a radio, air conditioning, and can be driven to and from the track.
No trailer required, no cool suit, and you can even do a Tim's run occasionally..
As for safety, most of the modern cars, if you run a HANS system offer pretty good crash protection. 4 cars were totalled at two track days at Mosport over the past month, all 4 drivers walked away.
The 992 RS will do 260k running into T8 at Mosport (I did that at the Porsche Masters day) and if you stuff it there, maybe so be it.
But that a is not dangerous imho in that car!
As Ronan said, better than a pipe and slippers!
But we do like to take tips from you and your cohorts who often amaze us with your velocity!
YMMV
Colin
Old 07-15-2024, 01:30 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Decent chunk of change to send a car over!
Old 07-15-2024, 04:43 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto

So add a half cage and harnesses, and then you've got safety equipment? There are certainly more cost-effective ways to get the performance, but for someone who has the funds and the experience, and wants a turn-key track car that they can drive to and from, this seems like basically the pinnacle. Though it would be nice if it had a frunk and/or an easier way to access the area behind the seats...
Old 07-15-2024, 01:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
I do it through my broker here. You drive on your regular Canadian plates. Best to have an international driver's licence too. However, for track days you are SOL if you stuff the thing....such as this then new GT3 at Spa on my last track day there.
at first glance i just saw the yellow paint and thought ,, ah its not that bad, it could have been worse... then i looked closer lol.. the more you look the worse it gets
Old 07-15-2024, 02:26 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks like an art edition.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

last two PCA UCR weekends there had to be at least 5 of the new RSs there. Car has some cool angles. Makes the 991.2 RS look like a family beater next to it
Old 07-19-2024, 02:18 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
4 cars were totalled at two track days at Mosport over the past month, all 4 drivers walked away.
Hate to ask but what kind of cars? That's my fear...although I love track days
Old 07-19-2024, 06:23 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Hate to ask but what kind of cars? That's my fear...although I love track days
Without giving too much detail as I do not know owner's insurance arrangements, etc:

- One was a Porsche vehicle at T8
- One was a Chrysler product at T2
- other models I will be vague on, but all 4 were totalled, and all drivers apparently (I was not in attendance but a friend ran these events)
walked away, but obviously do not know about ongoing issues
I do not discount Peter's concerns, he is a highly experienced racer!
But I think the last and only recent track death was Jeff Green in 2018 in a very fast F5000 car, something broke...
And I know travelling the 407 to the track I see more dangerous stuff on every trip than at the track...
YMMV!

Quick Reply: A caution video on the 992RS