Notices

Anyone do a high lift garage door conversion recently?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 03:31 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 565 Posts

No, that is one opener on top of the other because there is just enough space for one opener.

The first pic with the opener sitting horizontal in the tray is a good way of addressing the lack of space beside the door.

Liftmaster sells a little gear and chain set-up to do this.
The following users liked this post:
lowbee (07-15-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:25 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 565 Posts

Just to close the loop…Dodd’s did great job on my doors @ regular height. Actually, better than I expected for the price.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:51 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 161 Posts

During the storm a couple weeks ago, I needed to leave. I had never utilized the jackshaft emergency release. Well, when I used it it, the spring unwound etc. etc. Basically had to get a service call. Things I learned:

1. Apparently I have a very heavy door. Was told it is commercial. Metal inside and out. (Installed by previous owner about 6 years ago).
2. Repair guy told me never to use the emergency release. The door is too heavy.

He was here for a couple of hours. Bill was $950!

To put it into context, around 2010, I had a single door garage converted to a jackshaft/high lift with a new spring. Bill was only $900.

I think I paid the "porsche" tax when I had pulled the car out of garage for the repair to happen.

(buddy had his AC fixed with a new capacitor - we didn't have time to do it ourselves. Bill was $450 for 20 minute and a $20 part)

I guess service people can now demand a pretty penny.....

Quick Reply: Anyone do a high lift garage door conversion recently?