Notices

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 12:30 AM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Just a heads up, ran the Tail today and they are repaving a portion of it so be warned it’s down to one lane for a chunk of it.
Thanks for the heads up. We’re arriving tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:14 AM
zaskar15
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Heading down to Nashville in 2 weeks but want to make way down to the Tail and hopefully Cherohala skyway. Any recommended routes from Toronto. Will be a short trip 5 day trip so looking at different options. Thanks
Old 05-28-2024, 10:07 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zaskar15
Heading down to Nashville in 2 weeks but want to make way down to the Tail and hopefully Cherohala skyway. Any recommended routes from Toronto. Will be a short trip 5 day trip so looking at different options. Thanks
The quickest way is Detroit and then through Ohio, but it's really boring until you get to Kentucky. Also, Ohio police use lots of laser, so be careful.

We often get down to Kentucky and take the back roads, just turn your HWY function to avoid on Waze.

We have also gone through West Virgina once, but need to explore that route more, there are some great roads in WV. Even the HWYs are nice in WV, but lots of tolls and trucks.

These days we actually go the longer way through NY and take the 219 roiute, but I don't think its a viable for you if you just doing the Tail, its better if you are taking the BlueRidge.
The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 10:17 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 453 Posts

I would suggest you keep your Waze active. Not foolproof and you need to keep your wits about you but it has been very helpful to me over hundreds of thousands of KM. Agree with the comment about to be very careful in Ohio. Also remember that adjoining states to Ontario will transfer the points to your Canadian licence.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
I would suggest you keep your Waze active. Not foolproof and you need to keep your wits about you but it has been very helpful to me over hundreds of thousands of KM. Agree with the comment about to be very careful in Ohio. Also remember that adjoining states to Ontario will transfer the points to your Canadian licence.
i have a friend who is a highway patrol officer in Ohio

his phrase .

9 your fine... 10 your mine !!!!!
Old 05-28-2024, 12:39 PM
zaskar15
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the guidance folks. Looking to pick a radar detector and use Waze. I’m going to try to limit the spirited driving to minimum if I can..well thats the plan anyways. I want to take the back country roads as much as possible but not too far from major towns, not worried about mechanical breakdowns but more so a flat as the 911 has no spare and only the seal kit. I bought the car last summer in Vancouver and drove it back to Toronto with the constant fear of getting a flat in the middle of nowhere. But that being aside was a great trip and car is amazing for long hauls.
Old 05-28-2024, 07:39 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by zaskar15
Thanks for the guidance folks. Looking to pick a radar detector and use Waze. I’m going to try to limit the spirited driving to minimum if I can..well thats the plan anyways. I want to take the back country roads as much as possible but not too far from major towns, not worried about mechanical breakdowns but more so a flat as the 911 has no spare and only the seal kit. I bought the car last summer in Vancouver and drove it back to Toronto with the constant fear of getting a flat in the middle of nowhere. But that being aside was a great trip and car is amazing for long hauls.
I had a slow leak on very long trip (no spare) and the sealant only slowed it. I checked for a nearby dealer ( not common tires in a fairly rural area) and the guy got me a new tire and sensor overnight.The sealer 86's the sensor as it happens. There is always a dealer somewhere.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:25 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have a friend who is a highway patrol officer in Ohio

his phrase .

9 your fine... 10 your mine !!!!!
Ha, that's funny. I just got back from Florida, and set cruise at 10 over for most of the trip. I was passed a lot.
Blue Ridge Parkway and adjoining back roads in Virginia is worth it as well.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon