Notices

OT: Selling a Rolex privately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 04:54 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Ourch! Sorry to hear that! I don't think I could do the Kijiji route on a watch. I'd likely sell on CWC.
Kijiji = Kevlar
Old 04-15-2024, 06:50 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Ourch! Sorry to hear that! I don't think I could do the Kijiji route on a watch. I'd likely sell on CWC.
Kijji "buyer"= Is it available....How about $5k? That's market value don't you know! In a thick eastern European accent! Lol

Last edited by red996; 04-15-2024 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:01 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Crazy world now, in 2009 during the financial crisis I walked in to Humberton Jewellers and bought a Patek Nautilus at MSRP, no waiting list, was in stock, now the damn thing is worth so much it sits in a safety deposit box, I like to wear my watches, not have them sit in the bank.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:53 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Crazy world now, in 2009 during the financial crisis I walked in to Humberton Jewellers and bought a Patek Nautilus at MSRP, no waiting list, was in stock, now the damn thing is worth so much it sits in a safety deposit box, I like to wear my watches, not have them sit in the bank.
wear and enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Ed99 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 11:05 AM
craiescale
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm blown away with the pricing and more so the waitlists associated with Rolexes. I've been on a list locally for nearly 2 years to get a Sub Date. I just refuse to pay over list for one (as as refusing to pay the Lux Tax on a new P car). Our local AD also doesn't have any other interesting brands to "build a relationship" even through I have purchased two Tags and a Tissot from them many years ago. Raffi isn't far and I should reach out to them. I'd like a GMT, DJ, Daytona, etc. I'm on a list in Toronto for an Explorer II Polar, but I have next to zero hope anything will come through. If international pricing wasn't also a joke, I'd get one abroad when I travel.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:16 PM
GLTL
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Originally Posted by SToronto
wear and enjoy.

I second the wear and enjoy advice. My late wife bought me a PP (at the mothership in Geneva) 30 years ago. I wear it every day, and cannot imagine just sticking it in a drawer. Also, the advice I got from PP was not to let it sit, not running, for lengthy periods of time.

I am staggered at today's prices, though. In 1994, it was accessible to someone working for a salary. Today, not so much.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:45 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by GLTL
I am staggered at today's prices, though. In 1994, it was accessible to someone working for a salary. Today, not so much.
The key to getting a good price is to find where all the millennials are selling theirs...
Old 04-16-2024, 12:47 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by craiescale
I'm blown away with the pricing and more so the waitlists associated with Rolexes. I've been on a list locally for nearly 2 years to get a Sub Date. I just refuse to pay over list for one (as as refusing to pay the Lux Tax on a new P car). Our local AD also doesn't have any other interesting brands to "build a relationship" even through I have purchased two Tags and a Tissot from them many years ago. Raffi isn't far and I should reach out to them. I'd like a GMT, DJ, Daytona, etc. I'm on a list in Toronto for an Explorer II Polar, but I have next to zero hope anything will come through. If international pricing wasn't also a joke, I'd get one abroad when I travel.
lists are fake
The following 2 users liked this post by Bud Fox:
ekam (04-17-2024), Greg981 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 12:52 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craiescale
I can't speak for current situation. But in 2022 and last year, UK/EU was the same situation. Also if you were not local to the AD, forget it. Perhaps if you were there offering to buy $50k+ in other watches, they might sell you one of the one you want for a total deal.

Will be back there this year and will see what they say.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GLTL
I second the wear and enjoy advice. My late wife bought me a PP (at the mothership in Geneva) 30 years ago. I wear it every day, and cannot imagine just sticking it in a drawer. Also, the advice I got from PP was not to let it sit, not running, for lengthy periods of time.

And it's not even daily wearing, but weekends or some days. Whatever, can't just let it sit. Unless you are really concerned with the value and would like to turn the watch into cash someday.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:13 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
The key to getting a good price is to find where all the millennials are selling theirs...
Millennials? Bitcoin is down this week. They don't have any money right now....Maybe their OnlyFans account is fire?
Old 04-16-2024, 07:59 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by red996
Millennials? Bitcoin is down this week. They don't have any money right now....Maybe their OnlyFans account is fire?
My sarcasm isn't that complex...

Quick Reply: OT: Selling a Rolex privately?