Notices

Victoria drive as per Porsche Magazine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 10:59 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would say that there is a ton to see on the island, but it can be deceiving, time wise it can take longer to get around then you realize! Lots of great roads to explore including the Pacific Marine Circle Route: Pacific Marine Circle Route - Tourism Vancouver Island

Keep us posted when you plan to come out, the locals are usually out and about during the 'regular' driving season!

Where's home?
Is that book of drives that the club put out online somewhere? There were some great ones that he could consider
Old 02-21-2024, 01:32 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by rjag2034
Is that book of drives that the club put out online somewhere? There were some great ones that he could consider
I'm looking into it, see what I can do.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:13 AM
M. Essaie
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Last time I drove the Renfrew road I remember saying a prayer of gratitude that I hadn't brought the Porsche. The rims would have been square by the time I got home - if you'd like to sample interior-of-Africa-grade roads it can also be done closer to town - just drive Quadra from Bay to Cloverdale......

Seriously, to find any road smooth and empty enough to enjoy you need to be quite selective and not go later than 0600. Munn Road, Kangaroo, the upper reaches of Millstream offer some joys but remember if you take your car to redline in second you will be doing three times the posted speed limit of ........... 40 km/hr.
The following 2 users liked this post by M. Essaie:
Angryinch (02-21-2024), Ceec eh (02-29-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:26 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Essaie
Last time I drove the Renfrew road I remember saying a prayer of gratitude that I hadn't brought the Porsche. The rims would have been square by the time I got home - if you'd like to sample interior-of-Africa-grade roads it can also be done closer to town - just drive Quadra from Bay to Cloverdale......

Seriously, to find any road smooth and empty enough to enjoy you need to be quite selective and not go later than 0600. Munn Road, Kangaroo, the upper reaches of Millstream offer some joys but remember if you take your car to redline in second you will be doing three times the posted speed limit of ........... 40 km/hr.
You left out Shelbourne between North Dairy and Cedar Hill Rd!
The following users liked this post:
rjag2034 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:30 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Im in Alberta.

We will be trailering the car out mid march to end of March, around there. That loop looks like what they have in the Porsche magazine that I posted originally. I am thinking of adding to the trip and going up to Tofino... Just trying to find the best roads to go that way?

Thanks!
Tofino is really only one way in and out (#4) to Parksville unless you plan on sampling VI gravel!
Angryinch (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:54 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have driven from Nanaimo to Tofino in our slightly lowered (ROW height) 996.
It is a fabulous drive. The road from Parksville to Port Alberni is good but from there to the Ucluelet area is bumpy, narrow with occasional potholes.
What to watch out for on that road? The signs indicating cornering speeds are quite accurate and corners appear very quickly… watch your speed! There are a number of RVs and travel trailers that are very slow. There are pullover areas for them to let traffic by BUT not always used. Not very many safe passing zones.
Given all the beautiful scenery, no need to rush.
Angryinch (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 07:43 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 167 Posts

Any recommended shops near Nanaimo for PPI?

Recently placed a deposit on a private sale
Old 02-21-2024, 08:57 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

The road to Tofino is great, but very busy during tourist season. A better choice is the road from Campbell River to Gold River since it's much more lightly traveled, but just as exciting. Not much in Gold River besides a restaurant and gas station but what more do you need for a day's spirited drive?
The following 2 users liked this post by exc911ence:
Angryinch (02-22-2024), UncleDude (02-25-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:59 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
Any recommended shops near Nanaimo for PPI?

Recently placed a deposit on a private sale
Try https://www.europeanspecialty.com

Old 02-21-2024, 09:07 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

40? The best parts of Munn Road are posted 30.... SMH.
rjag2034 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 02:50 PM
M. Essaie
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

This is also OK if a bit lumpy in parts. Often do it back and forth in desperation very early on summer mornings. If you stretch your legs by walking out to Creyke Point around sunrise it will add years to your life.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:34 PM
Ceec eh
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
How about something like this, anyone have experience?

I live on the island. Waiting for my new cayman to get PPF and then all these incredible narrow winding hilly roads are mine. MINE. . But I am happy to share. Winter or summer this island is a blast. The main highway up the island is the trans Canada. Slow and the passing lane is for anything but passing but if you are in a hurry it works. Far better is the Marine road along the outside or any of the dozens of interconnecting roads.
In many places the scenery is stunning, untouched it’s beautiful but way to often the clear cuts stun travelers. I also have to mention the low speed limits and speed traps.
Just think of the other cars as moving pilots set up to force you to think as you drive
Old 02-29-2024, 02:39 PM
Ceec eh
Rennlist Member

I live on the island. Waiting for my new cayman to get PPF and then all these incredible narrow winding hilly roads are mine. MINE. . But I am happy to share. Winter or summer this island is a blast. The main highway up the island is the trans Canada. Slow and the passing lane is for anything but passing but if you are in a hurry it works. Far better is the Marine road along the outside or any of the dozens of interconnecting roads.
In many places the scenery is stunning, untouched it’s beautiful but way to often the clear cuts stun travelers. I also have to mention the low speed limits and speed traps.
Just think of the other cars as moving pilots set up to force you to think as you drive
Old 02-29-2024, 02:49 PM
Ceec eh
Rennlist Member

I just bought a new cayman. I’m torn , I’m having PPF applied and I like my cars clean and chip free but I also want this as a daily driver, ugly roads are often less traveled and it’s a car. I lived many years in Edmonton , drove sports cars and had very little money. A couple of alfas, jag sedan, Renault 17, various Volvos and gtis, a boxster and recently a golf r all shared the hardships with me.
I just sold my 82 scirocco , sort of a sports car but a willing device to move my wife and I and our gear across Canada and the us.
The scirocco lived outside, went everywhere and carried us home. This new cayman will I hope do the same. I get it on the 6th of march24.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:50 PM
whuht
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This route would give you a great island driving experience!

I've done this route and variations of it on motorcycles, cars and even an RV! Lot's of good advice and comments about the conditions of the roads... especially coming out of winter. Thge road from Sooke to Port Renfrew is paved and something special. Driving north from Sooke with nothing but the ocean to your left is just humbling. If you do end up in Port Renfrew, the Pub and Hotel is a favourite destination. The avatar trees are pretty cool and are only a 5 minute walk from the road.

If I may, I'd suggest making ferry reservations with BC Ferries (I'll reserve commentary on BC Ferries). For non-driving activities, it'll be a good time of year for whalewatching if you get to Ukee or Tofino. Check DriveBC for highway closures as with recent wildfires, rains and general expansion and road maintenance, there are periodic closures or lane reductions (single lane for alternating traffic). Enjoy the drive and scenery!

Quick Reply: Victoria drive as per Porsche Magazine.