Extended Warranty if You do Your Own Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 08:45 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Extended Warranty if You do Your Own Service

Originally Posted by Turbodan
no reason to have dealer change oil on cars under warranty. just keep your receipts. it is not a requirement for warranty that the dealer does oil changes, only that the recommended interval is followed with proper oil and filter, and you certainly can do this yourself as many do.
I did 2 year service on my porsche just recently. I wanted to see if the car took 1 litre of oil more than the book says (It didn't) and to get familiar with the car underneath. I did the cabin filters (2), oil and filter, had the oil analyzed, bled the brakes, inspected everything, and reset using PIWIS. There were some faults, I noted and cleared them (they have not come back) I kept receipts, took pictures and wrote up a detailed report.

Before I did the service, I called up 3 dealers in the GTA. The cost would have been about 1300, with PCA discount, although one of the dealers had not heard of the PCA discount (???), one didn't get back to me after I emailed her my VIN. One wanted to keep my car overnight to do the service (?)

My question is: say you do the service yourself? What happens after the 4 years and you want an extended warranty? do they do some expensive inspection? Is it a case of pay me now or pay me later?

Old 12-18-2023, 10:19 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

The original owner of a new Porsche can add the extended 2-year warranty (same as CPO) prior to the end of the 4-year new car warranty without an inspection provided all scheduled services have been performed by a dealer. If you've done DIY, there would be an inspection required, the cost of which might vary by dealer.
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:49 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
The original owner of a new Porsche can add the extended 2-year warranty (same as CPO) prior to the end of the 4-year new car warranty without an inspection provided all scheduled services have been performed by a dealer. If you've done DIY, there would be an inspection required, the cost of which might vary by dealer.
Does anyone know of someone who was actually in this situation?

Some years ago I bought my 2003 xc70 that was CPO. They gave me a form showing all the things they checked. It was all easy stuff, eg wiper, tires, brakes, etc, not much more than what you'd get with a safety certificate. No compression tests, oil analysis or really useful stuff like that. When my warranty was about to expire, I called them up, and they want something like 5k to extend it for two years. I suggested they did not have much confidence in their car. Anyway, I didn't opt for it, and ended up not spending a dime in that period. A wonder how likely that is for a Porsche. The service rep I talked to at my one year service said that 718s were among the most reliable

Last edited by reacp911; 12-18-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 10:43 AM
Sledge911
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Aa

Last edited by Sledge911; 06-29-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:23 AM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Error post. Sorry.

Last edited by ok-cami; 07-01-2024 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Error post

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty if You do Your Own Service