Notices

Out of Province Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 07:27 PM
NJan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Out of Province Purchase

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase my first Porsche and was hoping someone on this forum could shed some light on the process and generally working with dealerships.

I'm located in Toronto but considering making a purchase from the Porsche Winnipeg dealership (they have a vehicle in stock that matches the build I'm looking for).

Does anyone have experience purchasing a Porsche out of province from a dealership (or this one in particular)? How much of a headache is the process, is the double tax and rebate process a pain to go through, is there a hit in the value when I go to trade / sell the vehicle?

The SA has been helpful but it's their job to paint the process in a positive light, any honest input would be helpful.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:51 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First off I am in Winnipeg. Who are you working with and which car? I was down there today.

there's no resale issues. They shouldn't charge you PST - you're going to have to apply to the government to get your GST back if you register with HST. It's one form and some photocopies. Takes about 2 months but this was pre COVID

PCW are trustworthy from my dealings with them. Friends have bought cars with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
NJan (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 08:30 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 474 Posts

IIRC Service Ontario will just collect the PST when he presents the bill of sale showing GST has been paid. You just need the bill of sale from the dealer and the Winnipeg registration plus your proof of insurance. Easy Peasy.
The following 4 users liked this post by Adamant1971:
MKC91 (12-27-2023), NJan (04-29-2023), Pappagray (12-23-2023), Rubystar (12-26-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 10:45 PM
NJan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
IIRC Service Ontario will just collect the PST when he presents the bill of sale showing GST has been paid. You just need the bill of sale from the dealer and the Winnipeg registration plus your proof of insurance. Easy Peasy.
Got it, so the dealership would just charge GST instead of HST to avoid PST, and once I register it I'd just need to pay the Ontario PST.

How familiar are you with the rest of the process, when I've purchased cars in the past I've needed to show insurance before taking delivery, are there any challenges in getting insurance for a car that hasn't been registered?

Is there a world where I have them deliver it to my local dealership for them to complete the process (inspection, registration, plates, etc)?

Originally Posted by tbuff
First off I am in Winnipeg. Who are you working with and which car? I was down there today.

there's no resale issues. They shouldn't charge you PST - you're going to have to apply to the government to get your GST back if you register with HST. It's one form and some photocopies. Takes about 2 months but this was pre COVID

PCW are trustworthy from my dealings with them. Friends have bought cars with no issues.
Thanks for the info! I'm working with Mateo (and have a call w/ Josh on Monday)

Last edited by NJan; 04-29-2023 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:52 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

DO NOT get Manitoba plates registered to o it and no Manitoba tax will be due
NJan (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 08:06 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 225 Likes on 91 Posts

Very simple process like stated above. I’ve purchased cars all over NA.

buy the car and pay the gst.

ship the car home or to your dealer(had great service with safe auto). Once it arrives have them do a safety.

once safety is done, take certificates, proof of insurance, and ownership to Service Ontario. Pay remaining taxes, registration etc and your done.

personally never had issue with getting insurance before, unless it is an older car they might want an appraisal for value. I find insurance is always really quick to take your money ahah
The following 2 users liked this post by Pappagray:
NJan (04-30-2023), Rubystar (12-26-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 08:11 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 474 Posts

In Ontario you are automatically covered for 14 days from the date on the bill of sale. Just give the selling dealer your current policy number and you are good to go.
NJan (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:35 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Your insurance company should have zero issues providing you coverage for a car that isn’t in the province yet. All they need is a VIN

I suggest you activate the insurance just before it leaves the dealer
The following 2 users liked this post by vetfever:
MKC91 (12-27-2023), NJan (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 11:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I would recommend seeing the car in person before shipping it here/paying/
Winnipeg has very harsh weather and very few Porsches. they often have snow in June ( I personally have seen this).
I would expect lots of corrosion underneath and lots of stone chips. Hopefully I am wrong.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:44 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I purchased new from Porsche winnipeg. Paid PST there and GST in Ontario. They even processed my private sale trade in remotely. Easy process.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:57 AM
edvc520
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Done the same to another vehicle in October
Purchased vehicle from Quebec dealer. Paid the QC GST from dealer’s invoice
Bring invoice and safety certificate to Service Ontario, then paid the remaining 8% taxes to register
Old 12-23-2023, 07:42 AM
baege
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut
I purchased new from Porsche winnipeg. Paid PST there and GST in Ontario. They even processed my private sale trade in remotely. Easy process.
Do you mean that they took your private sale as a trade in against your new car and you only paid PST and GST on the difference between your new car and your private sale trade in?
Old 12-24-2023, 12:50 AM
lapisblue
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't find a suitable car in Ontario. Found almost the exact spec that I would have ordered at Porsche Calgary. Traded in my 15 C4 S paid GST on the difference to the dealer. Set up insurance for the car before delivery Covered transport brought me the new car within a week.Delivered to my house and loaded the trade. Did safety, paid PST on the difference.All done. Absolutely trouble free transaction. Thanks to Porsche Calgary. Very accommodating
baege (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:54 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lapisblue
Couldn't find a suitable car in Ontario. Found almost the exact spec that I would have ordered at Porsche Calgary. Traded in my 15 C4 S paid GST on the difference to the dealer. Set up insurance for the car before delivery Covered transport brought me the new car within a week.Delivered to my house and loaded the trade. Did safety, paid PST on the difference.All done. Absolutely trouble free transaction. Thanks to Porsche Calgary. Very accommodating
Interesting that Alberta and Ontario are somehow linked that you only had to pay tax on the difference. I could see that on the federal portion of the HST, but surprised it also applies to the provincial portion. Especially because Alberta has no PST
Old 12-24-2023, 03:17 PM
lapisblue
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the same as if you bought the new vehicle in Ontario. You would only pay PST on the difference.

Quick Reply: Out of Province Purchase