Notices

Non Compliance .. they are coming for you

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 03:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Saul_Goodman
Probably important to point out, municipalities can do whatever they want, however it doesn't supersede the HTA.​​​

HTA
75 (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8,

Unnecessary noise(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Emissions75.1 (1) No person shall drive or cause or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle that does not comply with the regulations respecting emissions. 2019, c. 14, Sched. 16, s. 11. Tampering(2) No person shall tamper, or cause or permit a person to tamper, by, (a) removing, bypassing, defeating or rendering inoperative all or part of a motor vehicle’s emission control system; or (b) modifying a motor or motor vehicle in any way that results in increased emissions from the level to which it was originally designed or certified by the manufacturer of the motor or motor vehicle. 2019, c. 14, Sched. 16, s. 11.

Other then a fix it ticket I'm curious under what grounds do they have to excalate to a tow.
you fail any of the laws they can tow, as you are in violation of the act, if they are pulling you over and giving you a citation for no cat, i cant see them allowing you to drive it away. as they would be saying we are going to let you continue.. if they say it is not compliant for the road, then it cant be driven , end of discussion, i imagine there is a boss some where pushing zero tolerance in these cases.

I think your last point captures it .. if you had a cat bolt it on in the parking lot you would take your ticket and go home. if you cant make it road worthy, she is getting towed.

If i was a lawyer i would say .. how can you give my client a ticket and tell him it is out of compliance, yet let him drive away with it ? you must be saying its okay though ?

if a cop gives you a ticket for no seat belt , do you drive away with your seat belt still undone ??

interesting discussion.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-04-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:04 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 331 Posts

I'm conflicted...

I do find some vehicles exhausts EXCESSIVELY loud and ridiculous and hate them reving their way around the neighbourhood all the time.

On the other hand, I'm fed up with EVERYTHING being against some law and constantly getting tighter. I would rather 100% of my tax money going to polices to fighting crime that actually has real victims (theft, assault, substances, etc.)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:15 AM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

I always found the enforcement of these laws pretty interesting. I lived in Brampton just a couple of km from one of the big stations, had a cat delete supercharged corvette that stunk something fierce and was loud as hell. Was constantly sitting in Brampton traffic next to cops and often got no interest or an occasional thumbs up. Yet tons of 4 cyl imports with burble tunes get pulled over and the book thrown at them, and I guarantee I was doing worse for the environment. Should consider myself lucky / fortunate I guess.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:15 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Saul_Goodman
Probably important to point out, municipalities can do whatever they want, however it doesn't supersede the HTA.​​​

HTA
75 (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8,

Unnecessary noise(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Emissions75.1 (1) No person shall drive or cause or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle that does not comply with the regulations respecting emissions. 2019, c. 14, Sched. 16, s. 11. Tampering(2) No person shall tamper, or cause or permit a person to tamper, by, (a) removing, bypassing, defeating or rendering inoperative all or part of a motor vehicle’s emission control system; or (b) modifying a motor or motor vehicle in any way that results in increased emissions from the level to which it was originally designed or certified by the manufacturer of the motor or motor vehicle. 2019, c. 14, Sched. 16, s. 11.

Other then a fix it ticket I'm curious under what grounds do they have to excalate to a tow.
a few years ago they redid the requirements for safety inspection. I believe that has the up to date rules such as no spacers, no aftermarket suspension etc. that allows them to enforce and toe these guys. Are they towing them home or impound?
I believe if you are not young kid and not hanging out downtown, and not too loud exhaust and you are driving a Porsche, you will not be bothered but you never know.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I always try to play devils advocate on some of these things ..

My thoughts are similar to those above, but we have to be carful of us viewing from inside a goldfish bowl because we are car enthusiasts .. I have a Condo where i live and there are a few guys that love their crackle tunes and accelerate and let off first gear down the street just to hear it echo off the buildings and it is ridiculously loud and they do it fairly regularly. Are these people who are just trying to enjoy the peace and quiet in their homes not Victims ? i would say they are ! do they not have the right to say ? why do police let this go on where a burglar might affect one person in 50-100,000 who have insurance anyway , these people are affecting the lives of hundreds of people every day who are just minding their own business and trying to enjoy some quality of life?, remember police are " peace officers" so anyone disturbing the peace like this has a right to have it enforced., so i think we just want to be careful when we are saying these are not victims. ( Again just playing devils advocate ). One guy did it last sunday as i was walking down the street and it was insane, a guy rightfully covered his daughters ears to protect here hearing and i dont blame him , definitely raw fuel being dumped into exhaust on a VW GTI
My car is by no means quiet, so yes i have concerns as Adam does that i might get pulled over and towed. It has a backdated exhaust to pre 78 , and the air pump is gone that was originally equipped ( long before i ever got it ) , so yes I could get pulled over and i am aware of that. I do not go around intentionally disturbing the peace and making life uncomfortable for others because i purely want to sound cool and think what i want is more important than anyone around me. I like to think for this reason i will be left alone. Who knows what is behind this rash of tows i have been seeing. I will endeavor to get more info going forward and watch out for any articles.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-05-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:05 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I always try to play devils advocate on some of these things ..

I hear you and the argument. But where does it end? Do we stop at leaf blowers being used in the fall to clear leaves or grass clippings in the summer? Shall we go back to manual rakes entirely. Should leaf blowing be done during the day? But there are complaints from stay at home people, during the day doesn't work for them. These are the points I saw in that discussion.

I think if you pander to everything somebody is itchy about, it's a real challenge and takes away from the bigger concerns.

In your example of repeat offenders using the infrastructure of the neighborhood to enjoy the exhaust, than fine, there's another charge for that.

In Oakville, officers park inline with other parked cars and conduct noise monitoring in the downtown strip. So when you drive by, you get tested and then pulled over. This is what I have witnessed. I can somewhat understand this approach as people go through the downtown strip as some think they are showing off their cars/exhaust. One time there was a digital police sign advising people of noise monitoring and control. This is blanket targeting anything with a sound. Rather than targeting what is actually annoying people. I find this approach a bit much for the subject matter.

So question is, do we go after those are actually causing a nuisance or just because there is a loud sound coming from something or someone.
The following users liked this post:
Adamant1971 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:22 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

My son lives in a condo on yonge st near the 407. A huge fraction of the noise comes from harleys - and at ground level, the smell, too.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:26 PM
RonnyC
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

Busy dealership there...

So how does that work - with the Harley's?
Old 04-05-2023, 12:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SToronto
I hear you and the argument. But where does it end? Do we stop at leaf blowers being used in the fall to clear leaves or grass clippings in the summer? Shall we go back to manual rakes entirely. Should leaf blowing be done during the day? But there are complaints from stay at home people, during the day doesn't work for them. These are the points I saw in that discussion.

I think if you pander to everything somebody is itchy about, it's a real challenge and takes away from the bigger concerns.

In your example of repeat offenders using the infrastructure of the neighborhood to enjoy the exhaust, than fine, there's another charge for that.

In Oakville, officers park inline with other parked cars and conduct noise monitoring in the downtown strip. So when you drive by, you get tested and then pulled over. This is what I have witnessed. I can somewhat understand this approach as people go through the downtown strip as some think they are showing off their cars/exhaust. One time there was a digital police sign advising people of noise monitoring and control. This is blanket targeting anything with a sound. Rather than targeting what is actually annoying people. I find this approach a bit much for the subject matter.

So question is, do we go after those are actually causing a nuisance or just because there is a loud sound coming from something or someone.
yeah i agree on all points .. i think for me the line is noise for the sake of making noise, leaf blowers etc is noise generated as a byproduct of something else.. if people modify things just to make more noise to the point of obnoxious, that is where i would draw the line. we don't want to pander to karens, but we do have to be considerate of others.
SToronto (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:48 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts

Rakes, Horse and buggy are what we are heading back too.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:58 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
Rakes, Horse and buggy are what we are heading back too.
Frankly let's do it in some ways, it was a simpler time. Haha. Maybe I'm just very tired.
997turbocab (04-06-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 01:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by reacp911
My son lives in a condo on yonge st near the 407. A huge fraction of the noise comes from harleys - and at ground level, the smell, too.
yeah good point ... wonder when that crackdown will start ... unless of course a good portion of politicians take there Harleys out on weekends
Old 04-05-2023, 01:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Frankly let's do it in some ways, it was a simpler time. Haha. Maybe I'm just very tired.
Just move To Elmira ..
Old 04-05-2023, 01:36 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Yet the Harleys with the annoying unnecessary f*rt pipes will continue most likely to get a pass. Please dont give me the being heard to be seen excuse 🙄

Last edited by Pags993; 04-05-2023 at 01:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pags993:
Greg981 (04-05-2023), theiceman (04-06-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 01:38 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 209 Posts

I hate the music playing on the Harleys way more than the exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911 Rod:
Pags993 (04-05-2023), rileyracing1 (04-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Non Compliance .. they are coming for you