Notices

New Purchase Dealer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 02:26 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mhenry84
Very odd then. Reminds me of a post earlier this month on RedFlagDeals Automotive forum that caught alot of traction ie: Dealer sold car to buyer, put registration in buyer's name, then reversed it out and told buyer they are selling car to someone else. Some here may have seen same thread:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/stay...-12th-2599006/
Great thread. Recourse is possible!
The following users liked this post:
mhenry84 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 04:53 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Is everyone just glancing over the uncontested 8-10k in hidden underbody damages the OP tried to trade the car in with? Heavily modified didnt necessarily mean heavily damaged for the dealer.

Sounds like the story is you got caught.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:15 PM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut
Is everyone just glancing over the uncontested 8-10k in hidden underbody damages the OP tried to trade the car in with? Heavily modified didnt necessarily mean heavily damaged for the dealer.

Sounds like the story is you got caught.
This is a good point. I did miss the part about where the agreed upon value was sight unseen because the OP tesla was already at the shop. So agreed price was interpreted based off the honesty, integrity of the OP pictures and disclosed history of said tesla.

I was pretty anti team dealer upon first reading... now, not as much..
Old 02-26-2023, 07:20 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Common guys... the dealer had weeks to identify and bring up any issues about excess damages PRIOR to changing the ownership. They didn't do their due diligence, plain and simple. You know damn well if you took delivery of a used Porsche from a dealership, you should inspect it under a microscope with a PPI and a thorough walk around on day of delivery because they sure as hell won't care about your sob story if you find paint defects or over revs after you take delivery for 2-3 weeks. Sometimes you have to take the "L" as a team and a business and take it as a learning experience IMO. (full disclosure I'm just basing this off the info available in this thread at this time. No idea what the entire and accurate story is so I'm taking it with a grain of salt).
The following 4 users liked this post by 35Mugen:
KLOC (03-20-2023), mhenry84 (02-26-2023), mhmmporsche (02-27-2023), reacp911 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:22 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting. I had an experience where I traded in a car on an incoming model. This is out of province. Had an inspection done at dealers choice of dealership. Dealer arranged shipping. Sent out one of those tilt deck haulers. Dropped car off.

Dealer gets car 2 weeks later and clutch is fried. Tries to make me pay for it. I said no chance. Had odometer measured and car wasn't driven after inspection except home and to drop off. Eventually he agreed to pay for it and we get along fine now. He took the short term pain and will gain from me long term
Old 02-26-2023, 10:51 PM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbuff
Interesting. I had an experience where I traded in a car on an incoming model. This is out of province. Had an inspection done at dealers choice of dealership. Dealer arranged shipping. Sent out one of those tilt deck haulers. Dropped car off.

Dealer gets car 2 weeks later and clutch is fried. Tries to make me pay for it. I said no chance. Had odometer measured and car wasn't driven after inspection except home and to drop off. Eventually he agreed to pay for it and we get along fine now. He took the short term pain and will gain from me long term
Reading between the lines leads me to beleive the OP was not surprised they had discovered damage to the vehicle hence why he agreed to take it back upon being informed the repair estimate. It only turned into a further **** show with the licensing becoming a problem.
also given the air ride suspension and aftermarket wing ect body effects, I no doubtly beleive there was underbody damage and belimishes, u think if the SA had this information disclosed and presented this information to the used sales manager they would of come back with such an offer? I disagree with the oh they didn't ask so I didn't tell and too much time had passed so tough luck.

I don't think u can compare this situation to a toasted clutch. Something that happened after the fact when this damage was allegedly pre existing, however undisclosed.

I sure felt this guy was getting screwed in the beginning but his actions seem sus.. now he's in a big mess..

You know what they say about karma.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:19 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Those who put some blame on the OP for disclosures - would you also say that the dealer should take a used car back that a customer bought sight unseen and didn’t do a PPI on?

in this case, the dealer appears to have chosen not to do a PPi. It happens. It cost them this time it seems.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:46 PM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Those who put some blame on the OP for disclosures - would you also say that the dealer should take a used car back that a customer bought sight unseen and didn’t do a PPI on?

in this case, the dealer appears to have chosen not to do a PPi. It happens. It cost them this time it seems.
for arguments sake if I'm in Toronto and i bought a cpo car from a dealer on the west coast, your suggestion would be to still pay for a ppi on a cpo car?
Now if I didn't ppi that cpo car and it showed up and there was 8-10k of body damage which occurred prior to shipping, which was never disclosed and I found out after a couple weeks after? Hell 100% yes I would expect to either be offered $ compensation or they take the car back and refund me.

what is amusing to me is the OP agreed to take the car back and due to unfortunate number of following events was unable to retake possession of the car.

I beleive if the OP felt like the dealer was trying to dupe him, and either caused the damage themselves or caused by a third party after he relinquished posession he would of not been so willing to investigate into potential repair and estimation to keep the deal intact.

Anyway ill continue eating my 🍿 while this plays out
Old 02-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Would anyone here buy a used vehicle from the OP?

Curious minds would like to know
Old 02-27-2023, 11:39 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
Would anyone here buy a used vehicle from the OP?

Curious minds would like to know
Lol
Old 02-27-2023, 11:45 AM
craiescale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mhmmporsche
Additional info,

I had a buddy at DRP run the vin.

Ownership
was registered out of my mother’s name to Porsche on 01/23
Ownership was registered back into mother’s name on 02/10
Congrats you just sewered your friend on the low-end for Discreditable Conduct or the high end for Breach of Trust. Either can lead to termination of your friend from Durham Regional Police.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:27 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by craiescale
Congrats you just sewered your friend on the low-end for Discreditable Conduct or the high end for Breach of Trust. Either can lead to termination of your friend from Durham Regional Police.
$20 UVIP would have given the OP that info without putting his friend at risk.

Last edited by Adamant1971; 02-27-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:06 PM
mhmmporsche
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Update Post

Dealership has taken accountability and has provided a resolution. Order has been placed and we are moving forward with no love lost. The Sales Manager handled my situation exceptionally and understood this is a minor speedbump in an otherwise long a fruitful partnership.

RE: Condition of the vehicle and posts about prior knowledge.
1. The "issues" found were described to me as "Blemishes on the trunk, plastic trim damage (Underbody), holes from air install in the frunk. None of which I would agree cost $8,000-$10,000.
2. The sales rep was 100% aware of the extensive modification, and that the car was currently at the mechanic shop have parts removed. I would expect this to be communicated to the used car sales manager before providing a price at the very least at the time of drop off.
3. With the prior knowledge of extensive modifications, I would expect a dealer to do a thorough inspection of the vehicle at the time of drop off and raise any concerns within a reasonable time.
4. I agreed to pick up the car based on the options that were provided to me, I didn't want to have an argument with the people I was so excited to start a new relationship with. I figured I could easily sell privately and address any issues at the fraction of the cost the dealer mentioned.
5. I have had many new vehicle purchases all of which had a trade in. Never have I lifted the car and done an inspection of it end to end and listed all the flaws to a dealer, IF the dealer came back with anything in a reasonable amount of time and adjusted the price based on items that were "undisclosed" I would negotiate with that new information.
6. Trade in's are as is, I provided as much detail to my knowledge about the vehicle, the dealer could have easily advised that they would provide a price after inspecting the vehicle.

RE: DRP
lol let’s take it easy and not police the police.... They use their discretion and I trust their judgement. Not a topic of discussion for this thread.

Overall both myself and the dealer are happy with the outcome. I only blame Elon for this..... Who drop's prices by 20% over night.....
The following 3 users liked this post by mhmmporsche:
KLOC (03-20-2023), mhenry84 (02-27-2023), Quicks6 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:24 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

You know we're going to ask... which dealer? You made us go along on your journey for 4 pages over the past couple of days. Just saying... who's with me? Out them
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:47 PM
Quicks6
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does that have to do with anything?

Last edited by Quicks6; 02-27-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: New Purchase Dealer Issue