Notices

Parts from U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 01:02 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Parts from U.S.

I've ordered from various U.S. based vendors like Pelican. Seems I always get nailed with brokerage fees. Back in my Mustang days, I used to order from CJ Pony Parts, Mustangs Unlimited etc. For Canadian customers, they charged you in U.S$, but it was all in, including shipping etc. Any recommended Porsche parts vendors that include all costs? Like Rock Auto?
Old 02-13-2023, 02:13 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

This has been discussed many times. Best thing to do is register with one of the companies that help import packages.
My favorite is Shippsy
Visit their home page for all the details.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

or use CBI and go get it yourself may save depending on what it is.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:17 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Safe to assume it's something you can't get at RockAuto, who like you stated has all-in pricing.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:28 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by olegd
This has been discussed many times. Best thing to do is register with one of the companies that help import packages.
My favorite is Shippsy
Visit their home page for all the details.
Yup, I'm aware of Shippsy. I posted this as I don't recall a discussion about any vendors in the U.S. that have all in landed pricing....

I guess there are not any vendors with all in landed pricing.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:36 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

The brits were out of their minds when they voted for Brexit so they could have "free" trade rather than a customs union with the EU. A free trade border, contrary to what most people think, is a formidable impediment for the average person.

Unfortunately, we could never be in a customs union with the US (guns) or Mexico (drugs)
Old 02-13-2023, 06:47 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

All in landed pricing doesn't save you any money but it does provide upfront clarity I guess
Shippsy actually saves you money since you get a USA address. Pretty much all American vendors ship for free within USA (for a significant purchase)
Almost all charge ridiculous amounts for shipping to Canada.
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 06:08 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts

You know who has all-in pricing and does not charge for shipping? Your local Porsche dealer.

I was also tired of the excessive costs of getting my parts from the US and was quite surprised to learn that a lot of parts from my local Porsche dealer are just as cheap or cheaper than getting from the US. Next time you need a part, figure your all-in costs of getting it from the US or EU and then get a quote from your local Porsche dealer. You may be pleasantly surprised... I was.
The following users liked this post:
Bud Fox (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 09:44 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
You know who has all-in pricing and does not charge for shipping? Your local Porsche dealer.

I was also tired of the excessive costs of getting my parts from the US and was quite surprised to learn that a lot of parts from my local Porsche dealer are just as cheap or cheaper than getting from the US. Next time you need a part, figure your all-in costs of getting it from the US or EU and then get a quote from your local Porsche dealer. You may be pleasantly surprised... I was.
I have found this also. My only gripe about the Porsche dealer is I seem to be the furthest from Toronto Porsche dealers living in central Etobicoke. I buy must stuff at Porsche Centre Oakville as my office is at the Mississauga/Oakville border. This past summer, I needed a new expansion tank/cap. Some of U.S. cousins paid more for the tank in the U.S. at dealers than I paid.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:01 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Well, my nearest Porsche dealer is a 4 hour drive away from my home. But shipping from one Canadian province to another is not so bad and I still come out ahead or on par with US prices usually.
The dealer usually gives me a 15% discount.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:13 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Sometimes it absolutely makes sense to buy from the local dealer. For a hard to find part or something small, or if it's an urgent need. And, I would say if comparing Can dealer to US dealer price, you are mostly better off buying locally.
But if we compare dealer to 3rd party suppliers, the price difference is often astounding. For example, several years ago I needed an ignition coil and spark plug for my Cayman. I went to my local dealer and purchased one of each.
Then I checked the price online, ECS Tuning had a set of 6 coils and plugs for the same price I paid for a single.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:26 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by olegd
Sometimes it absolutely makes sense to buy from the local dealer. For a hard to find part or something small, or if it's an urgent need. And, I would say if comparing Can dealer to US dealer price, you are mostly better off buying locally.
But if we compare dealer to 3rd party suppliers, the price difference is often astounding. For example, several years ago I needed an ignition coil and spark plug for my Cayman. I went to my local dealer and purchased one of each.
Then I checked the price online, ECS Tuning had a set of 6 coils and plugs for the same price I paid for a single.
I agree there are exceptions which is why I tend to always price shop and then decide if it makes sense to buy local.

I compare with sites like Pelican, FVD, Rock Auto, ECS etc. For the last year or so, my local dealer has had better or equivalent prices. In some cases the dealer price was the same in Canadian dollars as the item cost in US dollars from a 3rd party supplier without factoring in the savings I get by not paying shipping and other fees that come from buying outside of Canada. For me, if the dealer price is the same or a few dollars more, I will buy local and keep the taxes in my area and build a good relationship with the parts guy which can be invaluable at times. Remember it is the landed price that is being compared here which means any brokerage fees, shipping costs and any applicable duties and taxes.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:38 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Well, my nearest Porsche dealer is a 4 hour drive away from my home. But shipping from one Canadian province to another is not so bad and I still come out ahead or on par with US prices usually.
The dealer usually gives me a 15% discount.
You know, as much as I complain about driving in Toronto and the amount of time it takes to get places, I often forget how other areas of this giant country have to travel hours to make purchases. Very good reminder.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:37 PM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I priced out full rear brakes (pads, rotors, shims, wear sensors etc.) as well as seasonal maintenance stuff (oil filter, air filter, cabin air filter) from both Parts Avatar, and FCP Euro. Was quoted $200 for duty and taxes with order from FCP on top of the exchange rate. With all that tacked on it worked out that Parts Avatar was actually cheaper
Old 06-17-2023, 10:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

fcp euro has lifetime warranty. great for brake parts!

Quick Reply: Parts from U.S.