Notices

Where are you getting parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 10:02 AM
HOTRDD
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are you getting parts?

I've been out of the Porsche (924, 944, 993) game for almost 15 years now. But, now that the kids are older I am wading back in with a Cayenne 958.2, But it needs some TLC and it has a blown air bag. Where are you guys ordering parts from these days? I use to get stuff from Pelican, is this still the go to location or is there something in Canada that makes more sense?
Old 01-28-2023, 11:40 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 168 Posts

If you want to order online, USA is the way to go, pelican, ecs tuning, fcp euro are some of the best options.
In Canada we have germanparts.ca but their selection is tiny.

I would recommend registering with shippsy.com, to save on duties and other shipping costs. Especially if you’re going to be ordering frequently.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:42 AM
HOTRDD
AutoX

Thanks
Old 01-28-2023, 12:40 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 136 Posts

Rock auto is untouchable price wise and that’s including shipping to Canada
Old 01-28-2023, 01:44 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts

Another vote for Rockauto... as long as you know the brands that you're shopping for, you can get great prices there.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:25 PM
HOTRDD
AutoX

I use RockAuto a lot, but I never even thought of getting a US mailing address. I'll have to look into that as I probably order from RockAuto about once ever couple weeks. We always have projects getting played with around here.

What about pieces like airbags or front bumpers etc? We have a full shop on our property so we like to bring projects in and put our own twist on them. The Cayenne is just something to play with.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:54 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HOTRDD
I use RockAuto a lot, but I never even thought of getting a US mailing address. I'll have to look into that as I probably order from RockAuto about once ever couple weeks. We always have projects getting played with around here.

What about pieces like airbags or front bumpers etc? We have a full shop on our property so we like to bring projects in and put our own twist on them. The Cayenne is just something to play with.
You can import whole skids with Shippsy, I've done it before. With airbags it's a bit tricky since as an explosive there are additional rules for shipping them.
Best to try and find one locally, try this: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1609529623
Old 01-29-2023, 01:08 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 255 Posts

I used Shippy a few times but I prefer Crossborderpickup because Shippy open everyone of my package to take pictures and I don't like it. CBP doesn't do that but I think it is a tad more expensive
Old 01-29-2023, 01:15 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
I used Shippy a few times but I prefer Crossborderpickup because Shippy open everyone of my package to take pictures and I don't like it. CBP doesn't do that but I think it is a tad more expensive
They'll only open the package if you request photos (which they charge a couple bucks for). I think this is a useful service in case a customer has trouble identifying the parcel based on tracking info alone.
On the other hand, Crossborderpickups opens all packages, not to take photos but to see if there is an invoice inside. If they find one they charge you duties and taxes based on that.
It's better when you have full control over declaring these things, for example if the item is made in North America there should be no duties.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:56 PM
HOTRDD
AutoX

Shippsy looks like its good for the GTA area but there isn't one out in Alberta. So far I found montanamailbox dot com
Old 01-29-2023, 08:09 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HOTRDD
Shippsy looks like its good for the GTA area but there isn't one out in Alberta. So far I found montanamailbox dot com
No sales tax in Montana, so it’s a good option.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

im finding with the costs of shipping , rock auto is falling out of favour with me, sure you can use brokers but i do find myself looking at other options these days.

Parts Avatar i use more now, they have free shipping over 75 CAD and a local warehouse in Mississauga for returning stuff if you want that option.
Germanoem i find pretty good for certain things

Old 01-30-2023, 02:51 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
im finding with the costs of shipping , rock auto is falling out of favour with me, sure you can use brokers but i do find myself looking at other options these days.

Parts Avatar i use more now, they have free shipping over 75 CAD and a local warehouse in Mississauga for returning stuff if you want that option.
Germanoem i find pretty good for certain things
PartsAvatar look’s interesting, seems to have good selection of brake parts. Not much under performance/aftermarket stuff.
Germanoem is for Audi, VW parts only it seems?
Old 01-30-2023, 05:13 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

There was a member who mentioned Exoparts in Mississauga near the Oakville border. I did reach out to them a few times to shop around. Great selection of Porsche parts (European in general) but I never bought from them as the dealerships were around the same price for the bits and pieces I personally needed.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:46 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 255 Posts

I was looking up a set of rotors for my Mercedes on Rockauto but found them cheaper on Amazon.ca shipped, a good surprise

Quick Reply: Where are you getting parts?