Notices

Hypothetical: Road Trip to Florida from Southern Ontario (Waterloo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Yup, some 'inflation' is nonsensical - not the 6-8% temporary actual inflation, but the variability across the map.

We've booked some 2023 decent hotels in DC and FLL at around US$250 a night. Not fancy, but very good. Much more than that, and I'm going somewhere else in the EU. There's a limit to what I'll spend to have my brain culturally marshmallowed down south.

M
That’s my logic as well… might as well do EU. We did 2 nights in NYC (Brooklyn) and I’m convinced it was more expensive than the EU… We looked at a weekend trip to Chicago and my exact words were “**** that” 500$ usd a night for a hotel… plus food plus 20-25% tip on top plus “service charges” at hotels

Last edited by Gregster; 01-12-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:06 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 653 Posts

Keep in mind that in FL especially, the vacancy rate is down due to fewer available rooms since the hurricane created widespread damage.

I was told that several people who had AirBnB reserved were told their stays were cancelled. Then the hosts turned around and posted vacancy at 2x (or more) the previous rate, because demand for travel is up, and vacancies are down. Plus any time there’s an event (spring training, Rolex24 or any Daytona or Sebring race), the hotels jack up prices.

We once paid almost $400/night in Daytona for what was a dump (Holiday Inn Express - right by the track). Normally $100/night but for that weekend it was $370 + tax! And it was one of the worst hotel rooms we’d ever had. Even the breakfast area was dirty, the elevator and floors were dirty and it seemed they didn’t care.

In the past we had good luck staying in Ormond Beach, or in Daytona Shores, but in recent years it seems all the hotels increase prices for event weekends. We found a great AirBnB in Spruce Creek (fly in/out community in Port Orange), but even those rates were increased for event weekends once they figured it demand was up for the 24 and the Roar.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
That’s my logic as well… might as well do EU. We did 2 nights in NYC (Brooklyn) and I’m convinced it was more expensive than the EU… We looked at a weekend trip to Chicago and my exact words were “**** that” 500$ usd a night for a hotel… plus food plus 20-25% tip on top plus “service charges” at hotels
100%, Greg. We just stayed in an AMAZING hotel in Porto for ~$200 a night. 1st class, proper breakfast, A+.

Same in London, albeit it was a good deal in April. If you have the flexibility to plan your trips, there is so much you can do.

Cheers

Matt

Old 01-12-2023, 11:19 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

100%, Greg. We just stayed in an AMAZING hotel in Porto for ~$200 a night. 1st class, proper breakfast, A+.

Same in London, albeit it was a good deal in April. If you have the flexibility to plan your trips, there is so much you can do.

Cheers

Matt
Generally I’ll take two weeks during the winter and spring. June to Sept we are on sumner hours and close early on Friday, around 1pm. Then I’ll take another week in Sept- Oct and two weeks at the holidays. So it’s pretty much “off season” for most of it. My wife is pretty flexible with her time as well. She works for an airline so we do use the travel perks that come with it.

I’ll be back in the UK in May for a week and likely some sort of Fjord cruise in Sept. Actually with insane hotel prices and restos, cruises have become a good deal and a great mobile quarantine facility!

Last edited by Gregster; 01-12-2023 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:31 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Nice. Yeah, we'll be in the Caribbean, and then Alaska in June, both cruises with Celebrity.

All inclusive pseudo 'premium' is a much better deal than a decent hotel plus what we'd spend on food and bar bill anywhere.

Europe river on the list, just not this year.

M
Old 01-13-2023, 11:11 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Nice. Yeah, we'll be in the Caribbean, and then Alaska in June, both cruises with Celebrity.

All inclusive pseudo 'premium' is a much better deal than a decent hotel plus what we'd spend on food and bar bill anywhere.

Europe river on the list, just not this year.

M
very much on the fence with euro river cruises. TUI operates some now along with the usual suspects. Some friends of ours went on Viking and water levels were so low they spent most of the time on a bus going around Vs the boat
Old 01-14-2023, 01:39 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

I did my medical training in Miami and made the trip from Toronto a dozen times.
First day I’d make it to Charlotte area which is 1500kms and do the remaining the next day.

it’s a great drive to Charlotte, after it’s flat and boring.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:37 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gregster
very much on the fence with euro river cruises. TUI operates some now along with the usual suspects. Some friends of ours went on Viking and water levels were so low they spent most of the time on a bus going around Vs the boat
Good point, crazy stuff I've heard as well.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Hypothetical: Road Trip to Florida from Southern Ontario (Waterloo)