Notices

Frequency of Oil changes -

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 04:39 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

I read it as a sarcastic statement. I don't think he's serious.
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 04:54 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
The EA888 is a complete ****show of an engine. Everything from low tension rings to bad tensioners to wearing chains . The only way you are possibly avoiding chains being worn and rings from clogging, is more frequent oil changes than the dealer recommends. the OCI on that engine is based on dollars , not maintenance. At Audi at least, many of these cars were leased with dealer covered maintenance. The bean counters wanted the maintenance as little as possible to be more profitable so did as little as possible. many many of these engines suffered from clogged rings. We are seeing that those people who shortened OCI are getting much longer life out of these engines. Also the chains wear from ash in the oil that grinds them up. Chains are not a new thing, but somehow they managed to screw that up in the strive for thinner oils and gas mileage.

I will say it right now , you are an absolute fool if you drive an EA888 engine and stick to factory oil change intervals. Especially when oil and filters are so cheap.

These pics are from a fully maintained. EA888 fully service at the dealer with all recommended oil changes at dealer interval and was a lease return. .

rings completely clogged

chain visibly worn ( tensioner extended to the max )

bearing worn out

timing chain and balance shaft drive sprocket,

remember this was a dealer maintained car with factory oil and factory filter and factory intervals. Yes I agree low tension rings Audi used are a mitigated disaster, but there is no way i am going to believe more frequent oil changes would not have helped this car.

so people change your oil frequently. recycle it and move on thinking you have done nothing but prolong the life of your engine.
you don’t have to tell me how much of a piece of junk that engine is. I have a pile of cores in the corner of the shop. Nothing saves those engines. You are also forgetting that these engines are now in cars with their 3rd or 4th owner. 5000km intervals won’t do anything stick to 8k with quality products and you are fine. What about VW using micro screens everywhere that clog up with junk from the guides, other screens etc. But not all the flaws in that engine are because of oil changes. It’s VW being cheap. However what you posted was caused by tensioner failure or chain stretch give how the crank gear is worn out. You can measure chain stretch with vagcom. That chain was either off the cam gears or was getting cam cam/crank timing codes or fuel codes or both…

At + - 5 I will suggest replacement
I had one in recently where oil was dripping into cyl 2 causing a misfire.

Last edited by Gregster; 12-19-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:40 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

For the record, which models/model years are affected by this problem? I cannot help but feel that my cousin who purchased a 2018 Macan GTS is going to regret this.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:51 PM
Abe Evrens
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

2018 GTS NOT part of this problem from what I know. The EA888 engine is VW based 2,0litre Turbo found in the Audi Q5 which is total sh-t ! Why do I know this? I had a 2015 Audi Q5 2,0T - the rings are too small - all known and love to "burn oil". The 2018 Macan GTS is a V6 variant and NOTHING To do w/ the VW engines that came in later. Belt tensioner issues are known for 2018 so ask your cousin to check for oil leaks - its a $2500 job in Canada.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:00 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

His is leaking oil because of some bolts which is known to be a problem? it's currently at Beverly Hills Porsche being performed under warranty, and usually a $10K job as he told me? (I am not sure, sorry.)
Old 12-19-2022, 11:09 PM
Abe Evrens
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts

My master tech told me specifically "to change the oil every 5000 km" on my 2018 GTS Macan. He was VERY specific on this point and have known him and trust him for years. He doesn't care where its done BUT to simply DO IT. Its cheap insurance and my engine is a V6 (not a VW variant 2,0T crap which is found in Audi's which I had one and know all FULL well on the issues) .... Tks
Old 12-20-2022, 03:09 PM
teal986
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I always do oil changes for my cars every year regardless of the mileage, even if that means dropping oil with 1k on it. The filter too.

It's cheap and easy and gives me piece of mind.

If you don't mind the expense of a shorter interval and it helps you sleep at night, I say have at it
Old 12-20-2022, 03:35 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by teal986
I always do oil changes for my cars every year regardless of the mileage, even if that means dropping oil with 1k on it. The filter too.

It's cheap and easy and gives me piece of mind.

If you don't mind the expense of a shorter interval and it helps you sleep at night, I say have at it
I used to dump the oil with a few K on it from my 911, and run it in my Saturn. No lie

Last edited by reacp911; 12-20-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

I have to wonder how all those cars with well over 200K kilometers that drive on the Autobahn at 200 kph get by with 20K Long Life oil.

On my 911s due to extremely low miles, I change my oil and filter prior to winter layaway. On my daily driver I'd change the oil twice a year with a max of 12K kilometers between changes, spring and fall.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:15 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil FILTER technology hasn't changed much in over 50 years

Modern full synthetic oils, short of many high speed driving event (hobbyist) days or race conditions, will easily run for 10,000 miles or more.
The problem is the oil will get really dirty as while there are variations and some filters are better than others, in general, they aren't much different than the old cannisters from 1950s and spin-ons that begin in 1960s. Mostly paper pleats that have "absolute/98.7%" efficiency at 25-30 microns. If you see a filter that says only "10 microns" without an efficiency, it's not very meaningful, maybe it's 50% efficient, which is, catches half the particles 10 microns or larger.

The upshot is oil is really dirty at 10k miles, and this - up to today's oil tech and additives, WILL start to slowly stain and build sludge.

Based on nearly 20 years of following everything about BMWs E46 M3 engine, the S54, I've seen these with cams exposed countless times, as they require valve adjustment and ....had other vavle train issues. Engines with 5000 mile oil changes look nearly as new, only slight golden tinge, no buildup, regardless of miles. One documented at 150k miles! by 7500 mile repeated changes, there is some darker staining and maybe very slight buildup in corners, so golden brown/brown stains. We didn't have many with single owner or perfect maint history, so maybe only a handful of these pics, but you get the idea. This S54 engine is a highly stressed engine, one of the highest piston surface speeds in any production car.
So while not a Porsche GT engine, it's a reasonable comparison, also having > 100 hp/liter.
For those that followed the on board indicator and didn't drive the snot out of them (which would affect the on board oil change to happen sooner), the oil changes often weren't indicated until 10,000 miles or more. These, and many engines with little maint history, have easily visible build up of sludge. Not horrible, but clearly headed the wrong direction.
So most of us on that now lost forum (M3forum.net) we therefore recommended 5k mile oil change intervals.
I have no knowledge or history on Macans/bore scoring.

Originally Posted by Abe Evrens
Spoke to my tech today as I had my Macan GTS in for service and said "change the oil frequently' (every 5k km and forget what Porsche tells you is acceptable). There have been issues with bore scoring on some of these vehicles.
He couldn't have stressed this enough w/ me. Change the oil frequently and avoid future issues or at min mitigate them. As he put it its a simple measure ... Thoughts on this and whether others are inclined to do more frequent oil changes?
I change the oil on "all" my cars at 5k regardless. He did say that "city driving is brutal on these cars" and the oil breaks down much quicker. I can appreciate that given urban traffic etc ... tks
Old 02-15-2023, 03:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Evrens
My master tech told me specifically "to change the oil every 5000 km" on my 2018 GTS Macan. He was VERY specific on this point and have known him and trust him for years. He doesn't care where its done BUT to simply DO IT. Its cheap insurance and my engine is a V6 (not a VW variant 2,0T crap which is found in Audi's which I had one and know all FULL well on the issues) .... Tks
sorry just catching up to this .
Abe is absolutely correct, issue is the Audi variant 4cyl 2.0T E888 motor. longitudinal motor with low tension rings . the transverse motors actually used different rings and dont seem to be much of an issue..
The following users liked this post:
Abe Evrens (02-15-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 06:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
I usually change mine at 5000kms. I’ve got UOA going back 4-5 yrs, showing clearly that the oil change interval could be extended
One of the mechanical engineers at work who ran his own shake and bake department bought a new BMW E46 in 2001. He changed his oil every 20,000+ kilometers and had his oil tested in our lubricants lab. It was still good. The BMW dealer used Castrol. The car had over 250,000 kms on it, being conservative because I can say with certainty if it was over 300,000 kms.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:53 PM
996TS
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

T2 changes his oil every 3-5k and has 650,000 miles on his 996tt (albeit that is an excellent engine). I would love that result and am doing the same.

My gf's GLK 350 sees 90% downtown driving (short, stop and go trips are "severe" engine wear, similar to racing or sand/dust locations). 5k km for that car.

I installed a Stahlbus oil drain valve (https://www.stahlbus-us.com/stahlbus...acing-cap.html) on both these cars.

An oil-only change is < 15 minutes with zero mess. I then change the filter every-other oil change. Cheap insurance and both cars run smoother on fresh oil.

Last edited by 996TS; 02-21-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996TS
I installed a Stahlbus oil drain valve (https://www.stahlbus-us.com/stahlbus...acing-cap.html) on both these cars.
I've seen these before, but something sticking out 22 mm straight down on an already low car instead of the 4 mm stock plug that sits in a well does not provide confidence.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:37 PM
996TS
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I've seen these before, but something sticking out 22 mm straight down on an already low car instead of the 4 mm stock plug that sits in a well does not provide confidence.
Depends on the car, the drain plug on the GLK is horizontal and behind an underbody tray (case plug on the 996tt is horizontal as well).

I installed it on the oil reservoir which still has clearance below to the sway bar/frame and other components, no additional risk

Quick Reply: Frequency of Oil changes -