Notices

Shell VPower - Now w/Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 10:26 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 596 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
not anymore, at least not in BC. The 0 Ethanol stickers are all gone now!
Odd. Still have them here.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:11 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
Regardless of what the sign at the pump says (by this I mean the brand), for as long as it's tier-1 gasoline the gas itself for all of them comes from the same depots. In other words, the gasoline is the same... if the driver of the tanker truck is going to deliver fuel to a Shell station instead of an Esso, he pushes the "Shell" button and the tiny amounts of additives that go in the fuel get squirted in according to the Shell formula instead of the Esso formula. It is akin to having a giant tank of cola, and if you want Coke, you get the cola with A grams of sugar added and carbonated to level X... if you want Pepsi, you get B grams of sugar added (which numerically is very close to A) and carbonated to level Y (which again is numerically very close to level X). That's the only difference.
Small point but as an ex-Coke marketing executive, that's not quite how it works. Each product has all of its ingredients in the syrup. Carbonated water is the only other ingredient. Fun fact - if I recall correctly, one can mix cola and orange pop and get root beer. Each company's products were exclusive to each outlet. There were never any outlets offering both Coke and Pepsi products. Should we not be most interested in the amount of corn juice and stabilizers used to ameliorate the negative effects?
Old 05-17-2024, 01:38 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Small point but as an ex-Coke marketing executive, that's not quite how it works. Each product has all of its ingredients in the syrup. Carbonated water is the only other ingredient. Fun fact - if I recall correctly, one can mix cola and orange pop and get root beer. Each company's products were exclusive to each outlet. There were never any outlets offering both Coke and Pepsi products. Should we not be most interested in the amount of corn juice and stabilizers used to ameliorate the negative effects?
I know that Sir - using generic cola and Coke & Pepsi was indeed a poor choice as an analogy. Unlike Coke & Pepsi which are very proprietary, that is how the different gas pumps operate.

Back when I was a kid, my dad used to tell me that there were only two people in the world that knew the exact formula for Coca-Cola and they they were never allowed to fly on the same plane. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I am definitely aware that the exact composition is proprietary and a closely guarded secret.

Last edited by 928gt; 05-17-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:40 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale
Seems like something that would be very difficult to properly gauge? Could have been just that one pump?
I have the exact opposite experience. In my old 997.2 Turbo, I always got the worst experience with Shell. Petro 94 was the best. I now use Chevron 94 and it is great.
I log my car and I can see timing adjustments in M Tuner, also my race buddies all log and with shell 93 their whipple mustangs will add a couple degrees of timing.

Apparently chevron 94 is really good in BC. Each province is different as the fuel is made at different refineries.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:43 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
Regardless of what the sign at the pump says (by this I mean the brand), for as long as it's tier-1 gasoline the gas itself for all of them comes from the same depots. In other words, the gasoline is the same... if the driver of the tanker truck is going to deliver fuel to a Shell station instead of an Esso, he pushes the "Shell" button and the tiny amounts of additives that go in the fuel get squirted in according to the Shell formula instead of the Esso formula. It is akin to having a giant tank of cola, and if you want Coke, you get the cola with A grams of sugar added and carbonated to level X... if you want Pepsi, you get B grams of sugar added (which numerically is very close to A) and carbonated to level Y (which again is numerically very close to level X). That's the only difference.

Sorry this is not true, additives are not added by truck drivers, this all done at the plants. My close friend is an operator at these plants and makes these fuels.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:05 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Sorry this is not true, additives are not added by truck drivers, this all done at the plants. My close friend is an operator at these plants and makes these fuels.
Now this is interesting. Next time any of us sees a station being refilled, pull up and ask the driver. Coke formula security was even kept from us so no idea.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:40 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Er - I am afraid you're mistaken Sir. What plant? If by plant you mean the refinery, that is definitely not the case... the refineries are independent entities and fuel can come from any number of them. If by plant you mean the refueling depot (where the trucks are loaded), that's exactly what I am saying. I worked for big oil.
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 04:14 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Essaie
Chevron 94 for years and years in the Porsche and other older vehicles. Can't see why I'd go anywhere else.
Noticeable 'seat of the pants' performance improvement with Shell 93 over Chev 94, please try it!

Confirmed by both my Indie and Tuner . . .
Old 05-19-2024, 12:36 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
. Fun fact - if I recall correctly, one can mix cola and orange pop and get root beer.
The child in me needs to confirm this by doing it myself.

I used to put nothing but Chevron 94 in my 911s and motorcycles (sport bikes in my invincible youth, Harleys now). Now that the no ethanol factor is gone, I use Shell 93 mostly but still some Chevron 94. With my current 911 being modern and stock I don't have much concern. Both Harleys have been tuned to the 120hp range at the wheel (stock is 81-83) so when I tried the Shell 93 I was very conscious to listen for any detonation. Nothing.

Last edited by timothymoffat; 05-19-2024 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (05-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Shell VPower - Now w/Ethanol